Uncharted movie starts filming in a month, will mostly take inspiration from Uncharted 4

heydude93

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2490451/tom-holland-reveals-which-uncharted-game-especially-inspired-the-movie

The movie based on the popular Uncharted video game series has been in development for years and while, following a ridiculous number of directors being attached to the project, it looks like it might finally be about to happen, there is a lead actor and there is a script. And now, that actor, Tom Holland has revealed one interesting piece of information about the script. It turns out the story for the first movie based on Uncharted will actually take inspiration from Uncharted 4: A Thief's End, the last game in the series.

At last night's premier of his new movie Onward, Tom Holland told IGN that the most recent game in the Uncharted franchise was one of his favorites, and then went on to say that the game had a significant influence on the script for his film. According to Holland...

It certainly feels a little odd that a movie at the beginning of a potential franchise, and using an actor far younger than the character of Nathan Drake is portrayed in the game, would take inspiration from the game that sees Drake at his oldest. However, it's perhaps not quite as unusual as it seems.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End includes some sequences that are flashbacks and actually show Nathan Drake as a teenager, even younger than Tom Holland himself is, and it's possible that these are the elements that acted as the inspiration for the Uncharted movie script.

However, there's another major element in Uncharted 4 that might be important to the Uncharted movie. In that game, it's revealed that main character Nathan Drake has a brother, somebody who has never been mentioned previously in the games. It's certainly possible that the films could make the brother, Samuel, a major character in the movie. The addition of the brother in the fourth game is one of the rougher parts of the game';s story, as it's a complete retcon of the history of Nathan Drake that we knew. By adding the brother into the first movie, the film franchise avoids that pitfall.

Tom Holland confirmed that the production will be getting underway in about a month, reportedly under director Reuben Fleischer. Apparently, if the movie is going to start shooting in a month, there is a director or somebody is very confident there will be one soon. Mark Wahlberg is set to co-star as Nathan Drake's mentor Victor "Sully" Sullivan. An interesting choice considering back when the Uncharted movie was in its earlier days Wahlberg was actually attached to star as Drake.

• 1 year later...
20 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:
23sony1-videoSixteenByNine3000.jpg
T.CO

After decades of game-to-film flops, a new effort, led by Sony, aims to adapt big PlayStation and Xbox franchises for movies and TV.

Maybe some good game to movie adaptions can possibly happen. I didn't know Spielberg was involved with Halo. I'm very interested in the Last of US, too.

19 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:
23sony1-videoSixteenByNine3000.jpg
T.CO

After decades of game-to-film flops, a new effort, led by Sony, aims to adapt big PlayStation and Xbox franchises for movies and TV.

I read this piece yesterday and I recommend people read it because it's a good piece that details the years-long plans from Sony Pictures and Sony Interactive to get more movies based on SIE IPs and how there was much disagreement until recently to get this started.

I mean, director Ruben Fleischer will probably make something competent but average. I think it's pretty clear what kind of quality of movie we'll get when it's from the director of Zombieland, 30 Minutes or Less, Gangster Squad, Venom, and Zombieland: Double Tap. And I really like the two Zombieland films. I can't believe famed South Korean cinematographer Chung-hoon Chung is shooting this thing. So at least it'll look incredible?

And it's from the screenwriting blockbuster schlockmeister duo Matt Holloway & Art Marcum, responsible for writing Shadow of Fear, Punisher: War Zone, Transformers: The Last Knight, and Men in Black: International. All are awful films (though War Zone is good in a "so bad it's good way"). Yikes. Not a great sign.

• 4 months later...

Watching the trailer a second time, what strikes me is you have no sense of these characters at all. As a comparison, I watched the first Spider-man Homecoming trailer, and you very quickly have a sense of who this Spider-man is. The Nathan Drake in the trailer gets one bad quip (prom?) and other than that mentions his brother and treasure. We also don't have any sense of who this Sully is either.

When it comes to adaptations, I'm far from a purist. I think you need to be willing to make significant changes to change your story to best fit the new story being told in the new medium. If they want to show you how this young Nathan becomes the quippy adventurer, fine, but I didn't get a sense of that at all. The only thing that seems to be carried over is the names and the QTE action sequences.

This isn't all to say the movie will suck, but that trailer sure did.