Uncharted movie starts filming in a month, will mostly take inspiration from Uncharted 4

heydude93

49 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

Mark Wahlberg looks like he should be playing Nathan Drake to me. I don't hate Tom Holland, he was pretty believable as Spiderman. But I would have been happier with just about anyone else for the role of Drake if they are going with a younger actor. 

Fun fact: Wahlberg was originally in the running to star as Nathan Drake, but the film took so long to make, he aged out of the role.

uncharted4-760x380.jpg
ARSTECHNICA.COM

Director Ruben Fleischer's film is a prequel and origin story to the video games.

17 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I was going to say "he's gotta be like 65 now, give him a break," then I looked and he's barely over 50.

Didn't he thicken up for a role though?

1 hour ago, Jason said:

And yeah that doesn't sound very promising either.

I don't know if people are aware or not, but regardless of how he looks we're going through a Frasierssaince right now.

-Doom Patrol (2019 - ongoing TV show)

-No Sudden Move (2021 - Steven Soderbergh; Frasier was fantastic in it I thought)

-The Whale (upcoming - Darren Aronofsky)

-Killers of the Flower Moon (upcoming - Martin Scorsese)

-Brothers (upcoming - Max Barbakow (directed Palm Springs))

He's working with some big name directors again, and so far giving great performances.

That trailer and the fact that Tom Holland looks 17 aside for a moment, the set pieces in Uncharted are essentially really well produced action movies already. If they are gonna make an Uncharted movie, why not do something different? This looks so samey to me, except they added Mark Wahlberg who fucking sucks. 

14 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

That trailer and the fact that Tom Holland looks 17 aside for a moment, the set pieces in Uncharted are essentially really well produced action movies already. If they are gonna make an Uncharted movie, why not do something different? This looks so samey to me, except they added Mark Wahlberg who fucking sucks. 

Max_Payne_poster.jpg

2 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I like a movie star that didn’t chase black people around, calling them the n word and throwing rocks at them and who didn’t say that if he was on one of the planes that was hijacked on 9/11 things would have been different. 

I also like actors who actually try to learn something about the source material. 

7 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Except he’s literally exactly a younger Sully. He’s perfect for this. I mean I guess if you coulda got Affleck to do it 🤷🏻‍♂️

And this is the similar weird logic like “the Last of Us shouldn’t be about Joel and Ellie” 

Lol it cracks me up. Resident Evil and Prince of Persia get criticized for not resembling the games at all. Then Last of Us and Uncharted get criticized for looking like the games. Lol we all really need to make up our minds with what we want from Video Game Movies. 

14 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Except he’s literally exactly a younger Sully. He’s perfect for this. I mean I guess if you coulda got Affleck to do it 🤷🏻‍♂️

And this is the similar weird logic like “the Last of Us shouldn’t be about Joel and Ellie” 

Lol it cracks me up. Resident Evil and Prince of Persia get criticized for not resembling the games at all. Then Last of Us and Uncharted get criticized for looking like the games. Lol we all really need to make up our minds with what we want from Video Game Movies. 

They should do something different with The Last of Us for the exact same reason. Also maybe don’t cast a white guy to play the Prince of Persia. The RE movies are mainly criticized for being bad, up until 4 (or maybe CV) the games weren’t super cinematic anyway, so who cares? You going to make a movie where Jill runs at 2.5 MPH and turns like a tank? Come on now :p

10 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

My issue with movies based on video games is that I've already engaged with the characters in an interactive audio-visual medium to the extent that engaging with them in a passive, non-interactive audio-visual medium is such an experiential downgrade that it's not worth my time to bother.

This is part of it, too.

Want to make an Uncharted about Nate’s kid at the end of A Thief’s End? Sure. Want to make a TLoU show about, I dunno, the Fireflies or a character whose arc we don’t know in detail? Sounds good.

28 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

This is part of it, too.

Want to make an Uncharted about Nate’s kid at the end of A Thief’s End? Sure. Want to make a TLoU show about, I dunno, the Fireflies or a character whose arc we don’t know in detail? Sounds good.

The Assassin's Creed movie, as far as video game movies go, was pretty good in this regard. It didn't follow the characters of the game and instead used the themes and ideas of the games to make the movie and characters their own thing. Not a bad movie and the cast was pretty good as well.

1 hour ago, Mercury33 said:

Except the characters. But...who cares about the characters in a movie, right? Haha

On 10/22/2021 at 5:31 AM, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

My issue with movies based on video games is that I've already engaged with the characters in an interactive audio-visual medium to the extent that engaging with them in a passive, non-interactive audio-visual medium is such an experiential downgrade that it's not worth my time to bother.

And this is the problem with game to movie adaptations.  You're basically going backwards. 

On 10/22/2021 at 5:05 AM, Mercury33 said:

This is so true too... make a movie that's too similar to the games, people bitch. Make a movie that tries something different than the game, people bitch. I think when filmmakers make movies based on games, they should maybe just ignore gamers all together.  Gamers hate everything... especially the things they claim to love. Like games :lol:

Videogame movies should just be honest about what they really are... blatant and shameless cash grabs. Which is what this seems to be.  They know that gamers have pretty much already seen this movie if they played the games. They also know gamers have already decided they hate it. This movie isn't for them. It's for people like my mom and nieces who love Tom Holland and will probably see the movie just based off of him being in it.

• 1 month later...
On 10/22/2021 at 12:35 AM, Kal-El814 said:

I like a movie star that didn’t chase black people around, calling them the n word and throwing rocks at them and who didn’t say that if he was on one of the planes that was hijacked on 9/11 things would have been different. 

Don't forget beating up a guy so badly he blinded him. 

• 2 weeks later...