~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

1 hour ago, Brick said:

Physics Girl? 

She has been suffering from symptoms from Long Covid. She is not an old, fat, unhealthy person that people keep saying are the only ones suffering.

And yes I did know of her and her content long before her covid issues. I've been a big fan of PBS and their affiliated youtube content.

• Sad 2
  • Hugs 1

DISABILITYVISIBILITYPROJECT.COM

Today, September 14, 2023, I gave a virtual talk at Boston University’s School of Public Health about my anthology Disability Visibility  since the school selected my book as their 2023 Schoo…

Understandably angry disabled activist censored in talk to BU Public Health because she was too mean. 

• Sad 1

Man, COVID booster appointments are a hot item here in NoVA.

I looked online earlier this afternoon to schedule an appointment to get my COVID/flu shots this Friday afternoon and there were quite a few slots available in the area so I decided to wait until I got home this evening.  Lo and behold, the earliest I can get one now is Monday afternoon.  I just decided to stick with getting them next Friday afternoon.

My org had a big offset (we're a distributed organization so offsites are a way to get everyone together). In the week of my trip I had to cancel my trip due to some health issues, which sucked. But now about 50%+ of the team has covid, so I guess there was a silver lining to missing it!

• Shocked 1

32 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

The lady who works at the Jack in the Box I go to has never stopped wearing hers.

I certainly have maintained my own personal mask use at more or less the same level as during the pandemic.  Where the uptake has been most noticeable for me has been with service industry workers in my area.  For example, practically all of the staff in the Starbucks that I go to in the morning before work are again wearing masks while it was only one or two previously.

I really hate how it's impossible to have a nuanced conversation about COVID with most people at this point. Yes, the overall risk for people is much lower due to vaccines, past exposure, etc, but it's not a cold (still the 3rd/4th-leading cause of death in the US, I believe?). So yeah, I know that it's likely not to kill me, but I also don't want to get a really bad flu (equivalent, or maybe worse), so I am still masking in crowded indoor situations. It's not that big of an inconvenience to throw on a mask for an hour. But I also get why people don't want to, and I'm not hounding others. Anecdotally, masking is up a bit in my area (instead of 1%, maybe 5% now), and mostly service workers like others have said.

• Like 2

THE FREE AT-HOME TESTS ARE BACK!

WWW.CNBC.COM

Americans will soon be able to use COVIDTests.gov to request four free tests, the Biden administration said in a release. 

The Biden administration on Wednesday said it will resume offering free at-home Covid tests to American households on Monday as the virus gains a stronger foothold nationwide. 

Americans will soon be able to use COVIDTests.gov to request four free tests, the administration said in a release. 

The government had offered free test kits through that website since January 2022, but the site stopped taking orders on June 1 to conserve supplies of the tests. 

The government is relaunching the program in time for the fall and winter, when the virus typically spreads at higher levels. Covid hospitalizations have already increased for eight straight weeks — an uptick primarily driven by newer strains of the virus.

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 1
  • Hype 1

10 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

I really hate how it's impossible to have a nuanced conversation about COVID with most people at this point. Yes, the overall risk for people is much lower due to vaccines, past exposure, etc, but it's not a cold (still the 3rd/4th-leading cause of death in the US, I believe?). So yeah, I know that it's likely not to kill me, but I also don't want to get a really bad flu (equivalent, or maybe worse), so I am still masking in crowded indoor situations. It's not that big of an inconvenience to throw on a mask for an hour. But I also get why people don't want to, and I'm not hounding others. Anecdotally, masking is up a bit in my area (instead of 1%, maybe 5% now), and mostly service workers like others have said.

We’re Americans, I’m more likely to die at Safeway waiting to get my vaccine from some right wing chud pissed women dont touch him.

For me I’m skipping due my specific health concerns relating to drugs I take combined with the limited efficacy of it. I mask at work, where I’m more likely to hurt others if I’m infected.

WWW.CNBC.COM

There is still no evidence that molnupiravir, sold under the brand name Lagevrio, has produced more transmissible or severe variants of Covid.

A new study released Monday said Merck’s widely used antiviral Covid pill can cause mutations in the virus that occasionally spread to other people, raising questions about whether the drug has the potential to accelerate Covid’s evolution. 

The findings may increase scrutiny about the usefulness of the treatment, molnupiravir, which was one of the first Covid drugs available to doctors worldwide during the pandemic.

Molnupiravir works by causing mutations in Covid’s genetic information, which weakens or destroys the virus and reduces the amount of Covid in the body. However, the study published

Monday in the scientific journal Nature found that Covid can sometimes survive treatment with molnupiravir, leading to mutated versions of the virus that have been found to spread to other patients. 

Researchers in the U.S. and U.K. specifically analyzed 15 million Covid genomes to see which mutations had occurred and when. They found that mutations increased in 2022 after molnupiravir was introduced in many countries. 

There is no evidence that molnupiravir, sold under the brand name Lagevrio, has produced more transmissible or severe variants of Covid, according to the study. 

5 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:
WWW.CNBC.COM

There is still no evidence that molnupiravir, sold under the brand name Lagevrio, has produced more transmissible or severe variants of Covid.

Researchers in the U.S. and U.K. specifically analyzed 15 million Covid genomes to see which mutations had occurred and when. They found that mutations increased in 2022 after molnupiravir was introduced in many countries. 

There is no evidence that molnupiravir, sold under the brand name Lagevrio, has produced more transmissible or severe variants of Covid, according to the study. 

This is incredibly circumstantial evidence. However, Merk’s COVID antiviral is pretty garbage compared to Pfizer’s (Paxlovid) anyway.

On 9/20/2023 at 5:12 PM, TUFKAK said:

Friendly reminder that the dod studied “expired” medications and found they have efficacy in many cases up to 30 years after said expiration date.

The real question is, how far past the expiration date will you use milk? A day or two for me.

WWW.CNN.COM

The US Food and Drug Administration on Tuesday authorized Novavax’s updated protein-based Covid-19 vaccine for people 12 and older.

The US Food and Drug Administration on Tuesday authorized Novavax’s updated protein-based Covid-19 vaccine for people 12 and older.

This vaccine is effective against EG.5, the currently dominant coronavirus strain in the United States, and like Pfizer and Moderna’s mRNA vaccines, it has been updated to target the XBB Omicron subvariant.

Novavax’s protein-based approach is a more traditional one for vaccine development than the mRNA vaccines.

Protein-based vaccines work by getting the body’s immune system to recognize small modified pieces of the virus it’s targeting. In this case, that means pieces of the coronavirus spike protein.

Novavax makes up 0.01% of all Covid-19 vaccines delivered in the country, but during the US Centers for Disease Control’s Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices last month, there was an acknowledgement for the need of alternatives to mRNA-based vaccines.

13 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:
WWW.CNN.COM

The US Food and Drug Administration on Tuesday authorized Novavax’s updated protein-based Covid-19 vaccine for people 12 and older.

Will be curious to see if you can actually get it at a regular pharmacy this time around. As it is I'm probably just gonna keep my Moderna appointment for Sunday assuming I don't test positive from a COVID exposure I apparently had last Wednesday.