~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:
3000.jpeg
APNEWS.COM

An Associated Press analysis found that fraudsters potentially stole more than $280 billion in COVID-19 relief funding; another $123 billion was wasted or misspent. Combined, the loss represents 10% of the $4.2 trillion the U.S. government has disbursed in COVID relief aid.

Will read the article tomorrow, but briefly for now:  Can we go after these abusers?

3000.jpeg
APNEWS.COM

Some landlords have gone without rental income for more than three years after Oakland, California, approved an eviction moratorium in March 2020. Earlier this year, small-property...

Many of the landlords were Black, like Haile, or Asian American, and they said the eviction bans had saddled them with debt and foreclosure worries while their tenants, who have jobs, live rent-free.

They scolded elected leaders for allowing tenants to self-certify that their inability to pay was tied to the pandemic. Unlike large corporate landlords, these small-property owners said they didn’t have the means to evict, and were eaten up by worry.

“There is nothing natural about being forced to house and have people live in your property for over three years and not pay,” said Michelle Hailey, who is also Black and owns a triplex where both her tenants stopped paying. “There is nothing natural, ethical or even humane about that.”

51 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

Do you have someone to check if squatters have moved in?

Oh I’d just sell at that point as opposed to dealing with the headache that is renting to people. Safe area, in the bay, big house with a back yard, good schools. My house will be worth a lot more when I sell.

14 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Owning property for the purpose of rent should be illegal. No, strike that, unconstitutional.

I mean i could see this for low occupancy buildings, that were meant for one or 2 families, but i don't really see the problem of large rental complexes.

15 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Owning property for the purpose of rent should be illegal. No, strike that, unconstitutional.

Nah, it should just be unconstitutional to turn around and use the government to make sure nobody else is legally allowed to build their own rental housing.

• True 1

1 hour ago, PaladinSolo said:

I mean i could see this for low occupancy buildings, that were meant for one or 2 families, but i don't really see the problem of large rental complexes.

I would prefer that all rentals (large and small) be a part of community coops, instead (or government housing, which also works very well in most of the world).

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:
GettyImages-1241770825.jpg
WWW.FORBES.COM.AU

The video conferencing platform that took off during COVID-19 is ironically asking its employees to return to the office.

Zoom doesn’t want employees using zoom anymore 

(I didn’t know where to put this :shrug: )

I was going to just make a thread about it. :p

• 2 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:
WELL-2023-BOOSTER1-qkml-facebookJumbo.jp
WWW.NYTIMES.COM

A new formulation is coming this fall, and there are two main reasons to wait for it.

There's no reason to not wait until the updated boosters are available in the autumn, especially since it's really only a matter of weeks until they're released.

It's just a bit unfortunate that the combined COVID/flu shot is still only in the developmental stage.

On 6/26/2023 at 6:42 PM, CitizenVectron said:

You'd have to undo the entire real-estate industry to do that. Some people are not cut out to own a home, and it's not the responsibility of society to continuously prop up people that make poor decision after poor decision. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, TUFKAK said:

heath ledger joker GIF

Many people are terrible with their finances. Dumbfucks making $50,000 a year with a $1000 car note and people making $200,000+ a year with debt payments that are over half their pre tax income.

You could have house payments that are $500 a month and people would still willfully overspend. Not everyone is responsible enough to own a home. 

40 minutes ago, Ominous said:

Many people are terrible with their finances. Dumbfucks making $50,000 a year with a $1000 car note and people making $200,000+ a year with debt payments that are over half their pre tax income.

You could have house payments that are $500 a month and people would still willfully overspend. Not everyone is responsible enough to own a home. 

This doesn't make someone unsuitable to own a home, they're going to do the same thing if they rented, lol.  I would say there are definitely people out there who are unable or unwilling to care for a home, so renting is definitely something that should be available.

To get ahead of things here, Gentle reminder that homelessness is caused by high home/rent prices and drug use and mental illness are more often than not caused by homelessness than the other way around 

there is a massive class of people severely rent burdened and it has damn near nothing to do with being good or bad with money

106847491-16146416212021-03-01t233043z_5
WWW.CNBC.COM

Novavax's vaccine and new shots from Pfizer and Moderna are expected to roll out in the U.S. within weeks, pending potential approvals from the FDA.

Shares of Novavax jumped more than 13% on Tuesday after the biotech company said its new Covid vaccine generated a broad immune response against the now-dominant Eris variant and another fast-spreading strain of the virus in small animal trials.

The updated shot is designed to target omicron subvariant XBB.1.5, which is slowly declining nationwide. 

But the trial results suggest that the shot may still be effective against newer Covid variants gaining a greater foothold in the U.S. That includes Eris and XBB.1.16.6 – both of which are also descendants of omicron. 

Novavax’s vaccine and new shots from Pfizer and Moderna are expected to roll out in the U.S. within weeks, pending potential approvals from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. 

Both Pfizer and Moderna have also released initial trial results indicating that their shots will be effective against Eris, but Moderna is the only company with data on humans.

“We have a lot of confidence in our updated Covid vaccine and are working diligently with global regulatory bodies to ensure our protein-based vaccine is available this fall,” Filip Dubovsky, Novavax’s president of research and development, said in a release.

Eris and several XBB variants are fueling a slight uptick in hospitalizations and cases in the U.S., but numbers remain below the summer peak that strained hospitals last year. 

Eris, also known as EG.5, accounted for 17.3% of all cases as of Saturday, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 

The World Health Organization designated Eris a “variant of interest,” meaning it will be monitored for mutations that could make it more severe. 

XBB.1.16.6 is also beginning to surge, accounting for 8% of all cases nationwide as of Saturday, the CDC said.

• Hype 1

3 hours ago, ThreePi said:

Had a couple coworkers or people related to coworkers get covid'd over the past couple weeks. Hadn't heard any covid in months, but definitely seems like it's making a bit of comeback. 

Even if it bypasses all previous immunity (and causes another 2-3% death rate, etc) I don't think most people are going to care, unfortunately. 

3 hours ago, ThreePi said:

Had a couple coworkers or people related to coworkers get covid'd over the past couple weeks. Hadn't heard any covid in months, but definitely seems like it's making a bit of comeback. 

In the last couple of weeks, my sister and two different friends have gotten Covid. All were previously vaccinated and boosted althoug it had been awhile since their last shots.

Maybe it's time to mask up at work, again. We still mask in situations where we're around lots of people indoors, but I've stopped at work (when I'm around 3-4 people in larger areas) primarily for political reasons (manager, still on probation, and for my interview, etc). As far as I know I haven't caught it yet, and my wife works from home 100%. 

But BA.2.86 stands out in the omicron family tree because of how much it has morphed. It has more than 30 mutations on its spike protein, the part of the virus that pierces through the cell and that vaccines train the body to fend off. Experts believe the antibodies forged through battles with earlier variants will have a difficult time recognizing this new foe.

“This is a radical change of the virus like what happened with omicron, which caught a lot of people defenseless,” said Eric Topol, director of the Scripps Research Translational Institute. “Even if they had a vaccine or prior infection, it could still get into them and infect them again or for the first time. We are facing that again.”

The biggest unknown is whether the BA.2.86 will be transmissible enough to cause a surge. A variant adept at evading immunity would not take off in a population if it does not spread efficiently and multiply.

“It is still a possibility we either see this variant spread very widely as happened with the original omicron,” said Jesse Bloom, a computational biologist who monitors coronavirus variants at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle, “or it doesn’t end up spreading very widely and we continue to have these XBB variants.”

The new coronavirus booster expected to become available in late September is designed to target the XBB.1.5 variant, which is largely similar to the other variants in circulation. Testing is underway to determine whether the booster will be effective against BA.2.86. But because BA.2.86 is so significantly mutated, some virologists are concerned that it can easily bypass the protection from infection the new booster would provide.