~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

The messaging from the government in Canada really needs to ramp up:

1) Focus on vaccination of vulnerable groups -- we still only have ~60% of 80+ with their boosters.  Studies show that a 3rd dose makes a significant improvement in outcomes for serious illness -- even if the impact on infection is marginal.

2)  Focus on a distribution plan for therapeutics (primarily Paxlovid) -- studies show it is 90% effective at reducing hospitalization and death among vulnerable people, if it is started within 3 days of symptom onset.  There needs to be a well communicated plan so people can quickly rapid test, and quickly get access to Paxlovid.

3)  Focus on protecting the vulnerable. 

a) Strong communication that N95 masks (snugly fitted) are what people should be using if they come in contact with vulnerable individuals

b) Robust plan to protect those living in Congregate Living situations

Too many people are still living in the Alpha/Delta world.  Omicron is different -- our response needs to be different.

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

The messaging from the government in Canada really needs to ramp up:

1) Focus on vaccination of vulnerable groups -- we still only have ~60% of 80+ with their boosters.  Studies show that a 3rd dose makes a significant improvement in outcomes for serious illness -- even if the impact on infection is marginal.

2)  Focus on a distribution plan (primarily Paxlovid) -- studies show it is 90% effective at reducing hospitalization and death among vulnerable people, if it is started within 3 days of symptom onset.  There needs to be a well communicated plan so people can quickly rapid test, and quickly get access to Paxlovid.

3)  Focus on protecting the vulnerable. 

a) Strong communication that N95 masks (snugly fitted) are what people should be using if they come in contact with vulnerable individuals

b) Robust plan to protect those living in Congregate Living situations

Too many people are still living in the Alpha/Delta world.  Omicron is different -- our response needs to be different.

For sure. Last week when we had a contractor come into our home, he arrived at the door maskless. I asked if he wouldn't mind wearing a mask, and he said "Ugh, really? I threw all of mine out." So I gave him an N95 and told him that my wife had medical issues. He was okay after that. So, I understand not necessarily wearing a mask everywhere (though I still do), but people who visit other people in unknown situations should at least still have masks available, preferably N95s. The engineer who came to our house yesterday came to the door without a mask, but as soon as he saw me wearing one, he whipped out an N95 and put it on.

nyc-vax-mandate-controversy.jpg?quality=
WWW.NBCNEWYORK.COM

An adamant Mayor Eric Adams on Thursday formally announced an executive order exempting New York City-based professional athletes and performers from the private sector COVID vaccine mandate while leaving it intact for the vast majority of employees, a highly controversial move he billed as one of economic necessity. Declaring his a “tough” decision in the best interest of New York’s…

Anecdotally, even here around Portland, OR I'm seeing a steadily declining number of masks. In the past, going even 20 minutes outside of Portland was always like entering another world in this regard, but it seems everyone is giving up here too. 

19 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Went to get ice cream earlier and there were about 4 out of 20 people masking, myself and my daughter included. One employee and one other customer being my estimate for the rest of people

I just started to notice this myself. I imagine the cutover happened a couple weeks ago, but was at the grocery store today and realized that masking was in the minority.

I really don't understand the whole "children's mental health" worry when it comes to masks. Social distancing and not taking kids out, I get, but that has nothing to do with masks. Are my kids anomalies? Even my autistic daughter is now perfectly fine with masks and she's not much of a fan of clothes, in general. We're all home, enjoying a lazy Sunday and, I kid you not, my oldest and youngest, are wearing masks right now because they just felt like it...and also because they found a small pack of masks and ripped it open behind my back.

21 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

I really don't understand the whole "children's mental health" worry when it comes to masks. Social distancing and not taking kids out, I get, but that has nothing to do with masks. Are my kids anomalies? Even my autistic daughter is now perfectly fine with masks and she's not much of a fan of clothes, in general. We're all home, enjoying a lazy Sunday and, I kid you not, my oldest and youngest, are wearing masks right now because they just felt like it...and also because they found a small pack of masks and ripped it open behind my back.

(Insert something about a vague notion of freedom)

4 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

I mean, yeah, we obviously wouldn't be seeing cases resulting from a dropped mask mandate only a few days later. At the same time...cases and hospitalizations are clearly rising, so dropping the mandate isn't going to help slow that.

ICU numbers are still falling:

They will start increasing with unvaccinated people who don't take Paxlovid when BA2 becomes more prevalent.

2 hours ago, elbobo said:

Went and saw Hamilton in Syracuse NY yesterday. 3000 seat venue that was of course sold our, only people masked were a portion of the elderly.

I went shopping 2 days ago without a mask for the first time. (Quick in and out) Gotta say 60-70% are still masking up. Although if I were to point out 2 that don’t seem to masking up as much were the late 20’s/30’s and elderly people. Sure some are masking but most don’t seem to give a shit about the mask or their past 2 years of living. For some, this Covid issue is all but over for them it seems. As the week has progressed at work, gotta say we are at about 50% or less now who wear a mask. First couple of days after the mandate ended, I would of said 60-70% came in with their mask on. I guess that March break buffer is shorter for some folks then others. Still wear mine almost everywhere I go and/or when I’m with customers at work.

6 minutes ago, silentbob said:

I went shopping 2 days ago without a mask for the first time. (Quick in and out) Gotta say 60-70% are still masking up. Although if I were to point out 2 that don’t seem to masking up as much were the late 20’s/30’s and elderly people. Sure some are masking but most don’t seem to give a shit about the mask or their past 2 years of living. For some, this Covid issue is all but over for them it seems. As the week has progressed at work, gotta say we are at about 50% or less now who wear a mask. First couple of days after the mandate ended, I would of said 60-70% came in with their mask on. I guess that March break buffer is shorter for some folks then others. Still wear mine almost everywhere I go and/or when I’m with customers at work.

I am seeing a mixture:

1)  Went to a Stoneyard (for pavers) -- 2 of 5 workers were masked up, none of the "construction" customers wore masks

2)  Went to Starbucks -- None of the people staying wore a mask coming in, or walking around.  Most customers taking out did,  except for a couple of guys in their early 20s.

3)  Went to Rona -- 90% of people masked up.  A couple in their 60s, and a guy in his 20s wasn't.  Almost everyone was still wearing cloth/surgical masks including my cashier who was wearing one of the "structured" masks that had a gap of about 1 inch from her face around the top.

Kids school update:

1)  14-year old -- Reports that mask wearing went up.  But, so did the amount that were wearing it on their chin.  Net effect was people wearing it on mouth/nose went down

2)  12-year-old -- Mask wearing up so that only 1 person per class was not wearing a mask

3)  6-year old -- Won't tell me.  She hates masks and refuses to say what is going on at school.

20 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

You know what else is bad for a child's mental health?  Having to endure a friend, loved one, or even themselves spending days in the hospital and possibly dying.  Pretty sure that experience would be more traumatic than having to wear a fucking mask.

106999424-1641903525497-gettyimages-1237
WWW.CNBC.COM

The FDA made the decision without consulting its committee of independent vaccine experts.

The Food and Drug Administration has authorized fourth Pfizer and Moderna Covid vaccine doses for everyone age 50 and older, amid uncertainty over whether an even more contagious version of omicron will cause another wave of infection in the U.S. as it has in Europe and China.

The FDA also said it authorized a second Pfizer booster shot for people age 12 and older who have compromised immune systems, and a second Moderna booster for adults ages 18 and older with compromised immune systems. All of the new boosters are to be administered at least fourth months after the last shot.