~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

107000158-1642005438429-gettyimages-1237
WWW.CNBC.COM

Even among the highest risk group, teenage boys, the risk of cardiac conditions was higher after Covid infection than Pfizer or Moderna vaccination.

People infected with Covid-19 face a higher risk of myocarditis and other inflammatory heart conditions than those vaccinated against the disease, according a large study published by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Friday.

The CDC found the risk of myocarditis, pericarditis and multisystem inflammatory syndrome was higher after Covid infection than after Pfizer or Moderna vaccination in males and females ages 5 and older. However, these cardiac conditions are rare after infection and vaccination alike, according to the CDC.

Myocarditis is an inflammation of the heart muscle and pericarditis is an inflammation of the outer heart lining. Multisystem inflammatory is a condition associated with Covid infection that affects multiple organ systems.

Pfizer and Moderna’s vaccines have been associated with an elevated risk of myocarditis and pericarditis after the second dose, particularly among boys ages 12- to 17-years-old. However, even in this group the risk of myocarditis and pericarditis was higher after Covid infection than after vaccination, according to the CDC.

Among teenage boys, the rate of myocarditis or pericarditis after infection was at least 50 cases per 100,000 people, compared to at least 22 cases per 100,000 after the second vaccine dose. The overall risk of heart conditions after Covid infection was up to 5.6 times higher compared to the second vaccine dose. The risk was up to 69 times higher after infection compared to the first shot.

• Shocked 1
  • True 2

3000.jpeg
APNEWS.COM

LONDON (AP) — The prevalence of COVID-19 in the U.K. has reached record levels, with about 1 in 13 people estimated to be infected with the virus in the past week, according to the latest figures from Britain's official statistics agency.

The prevalence of COVID-19 in the U.K. has reached record levels, with about 1 in 13 people estimated to be infected with the virus in the past week, according to the latest figures from Britain’s official statistics agency.

Some 4.9 million people were estimated to have the coronavirus in the week ending March 26, up from 4.3 million recorded in the previous week, the Office for National Statistics said Friday. The latest surge is driven by the more transmissible omicron variant BA.2, which is the dominant variant across the U.K.

Hospitalizations and death rates are again rising, although the number of people dying with COVID-19 is still relatively low compared with earlier this year. Nonetheless, the latest estimates suggest that the steep climb in new infections since late February, when British Prime Minister Boris Johnson scrapped all remaining coronavirus restrictions in England, has continued well into March.

• Shocked 1

AgEXQUtGWEJoOWgyUWl5NUhadktZRXJ0N2cAMA
APPLE.NEWS

The city kept the pandemic at bay for two years. Why didn’t it take measures that would help in an inevitable outbreak—like an all-out campaign to vaccinate the elderly?

HK wasted an incredible opportunity to prevent many many deaths. This article really does a great job of laying out the failure. Tragic for the people there.

My province (with still near-record hospitalizations and high deathrate) just switched from weekly reporting (we were the first in North American to do so) to monthly reporting of data. They've also removed all COVID-related numbers (including total use of ERs, hospital beds, etc) from the government internal health dashboards. So healthcare workers can't even see it. Yet the government says that we have no restrictions at all at this point because people need to make decisions based on their own perceived risk tolerance...but we can't do that since we don't know about anything at all except for anecdotal evidence around us.

On 4/2/2022 at 8:36 PM, sblfilms said:
AgEXQUtGWEJoOWgyUWl5NUhadktZRXJ0N2cAMA
APPLE.NEWS

The city kept the pandemic at bay for two years. Why didn’t it take measures that would help in an inevitable outbreak—like an all-out campaign to vaccinate the elderly?

HK wasted an incredible opportunity to prevent many many deaths. This article really does a great job of laying out the failure. Tragic for the people there.

Their failure to get older people vaccinated is borderline criminal.

I went one day without my mask at work. Now one of my managers informed us he has Covid. . . again. So my mask is staying on at work for now, but I haven’t been feeling the greatest either. Stomach sucks, no energy/motivation, appetite gone again and can’t get a fucking wink of sleep. So maybe I have it or it’s the long hauler shit again and it’s different and yet not. If I get some sleep I’m tired for the day, but energetic when I know I’ve just tossed and turned all night. Fun shit still a happening 

I guess this is the best thread to voice my frustration. Mom comes home early because she had to vomit. It continued when she got home to the point she decided to go to the ER. I couldn't go with her because a friend dropped her off since she couldn't drive and I have no time at work. She comes back at almost 1030pm and I go over the paper work they gave her and it just gives her instructions on the meds the gave and not much beyond that. The diagonises was acute nausea and she has been having vomit issues on and off for a few months and I was hoping they'd figure out what's wrong. 

But no just "hey you have nausea?" And I'm left going tell me something I don't know. I wish I was with her because she tends to just passively accept things. Am I missing something or is the focus of ERs now just stablize you, bill obscene amounts of money to you or your insurance, and then send you home?

12 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

But no just "hey you have nausea?" And I'm left going tell me something I don't know. I wish I was with her because she tends to just passively accept things. Am I missing something or is the focus of ERs now just stablize you, bill obscene amounts of money to you or your insurance, and then send you home?

I think this is generally true unless you come in with a specific issue they’ll have to sniff out for liability reasons or something is immediately and obviously life threatening.

107042592-1649245673360-gettyimages-1239
WWW.CNBC.COM

A new omicron sub-variant has been detected in the U.K. as the country faces a renewed surge in Covid-19 hospitalizations.

A new omicron subvariant has been detected in the U.K. as the country faces a renewed surge in Covid-19 hospitalizations.

The XE variant, as it is known, has so far been detected in 637 patients nationwide, according to the latest statistics from the U.K. Health Security Agency, which said there is currently not enough evidence to draw conclusions on its transmissibility or severity.

XE contains a mix of the previously highly infectious omicron BA.1 strain, which emerged in late 2021, and the newer “stealth” BA.2 variant, currently the U.K.’s dominant variant.

It is what’s known as a “recombinant,” a type of variant that can occur when an individual becomes infected with two or more variants at the same time, resulting in a mixing of their genetic material within a patient’s body.

"XE" sounds like the designation for the mid-tier version of an automobile.

220404175759-covid19-booster-file-040122
WWW.CNN.COM

A fourth dose of the Pfizer/BioNTech Covid-19 vaccine seems to offer short-lived protection against infection overall, but protection against severe illness did not wane for at least several weeks, according to a new study.

A fourth dose of the Pfizer/BioNTech Covid-19 vaccine seems to offer short-lived protection against infection overall, but protection against severe illness did not wane for at least several weeks, according to a new study.

The study, published Tuesday in the New England Journal of Medicine, looked at the health records of more than 1.25 million vaccinated people in Israel who were 60 or older from January through March 2022, a time when the Omicron coronavirus variant was the dominant strain.

The rate of severe Covid-19 infection in the fourth week after a fourth dose of vaccine was lower than in people who got only three doses by a factor of 3.5.

However, protection against severe illness did not seem to wane in the six weeks after the fourth shot, though the study period wasn't long enough to determine exactly how long this protection lasts.

9 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:
220404175759-covid19-booster-file-040122
WWW.CNN.COM

Not even two months of infection protection means I probably won’t get anything more frequently than annually with my flu and pneumonia vaccines.

_124068442_gettyimages-1303391123.jpg
WWW.BBC.COM

Lung and leg clots were much more likely in seriously ill patients, but mild cases can be affected.

After a Covid infection, there is an increased risk of developing a serious blood clot for the next six months, a study from Sweden suggests.

The research found people with severe Covid, and those infected during the first wave, had the highest clot risk.

This highlights the importance of being vaccinated against the virus, the researchers say.

Blood clots can also occur after vaccination but the risk is far smaller, a major UK study found.

People who have had Covid-19 are more likely to develop a blood clot - particularly patients who have needed hospital treatment. Scientists wanted to find out when that risk returns to normal levels.

15 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Also that photo is from yesterday.

They have to stop taking their masks off for photo ops. It's so stupid. It bugs the shit out of me when watching a press conference, and whoever comes up to the mic takes their mask off, even though everyone else in the room is still not very far away. 

tl;dr: If the pattern holds (which it appears to be, so far), the 6th wave (or whatever it's called in Ontario) is going to possible match the Omicron wave in hospitalizations and death. Hospitalizations are at about the same place they were in the same part of that wave, and deaths are already higher:

FPv5-OmVcAw4iLC?format=jpg&name=large

FPv5_eEUYAMnRk-?format=jpg&name=large

FPv6AFDVQAY5VCb?format=jpg&name=large

• Shocked 1

1 minute ago, marioandsonic said:

I got my booster back in November.  Should I try to get a second one, or do I have to wait another month yet?

If you want to mitigate infection risk, you probably don’t want to get one yet. The boosters ramp up infection protection relatively quickly compared to the initial doses, but the infection protect falls off dramatically in the 6-8 week range, so if you plan to get boosters moving forward you are really looking to do it as case counts begin to climb so that you are getting infection protection when it makes the most statistical sense.