~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

38 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

7 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

Dunno how not wearing a mask is freedom but not universal health care, education, etc?

It's my RIGHT to walk into Country Kitchen Buffet without any pants on! 

gettyimages-1238578140_wide-dc308367ff7d
WWW.NPR.ORG

The company says this version targets both the original coronavirus and the beta variant, and appears to provide broader and longer-lasting protection against different strains, including omicron.

The pharmaceutical company Moderna announced Tuesday that a new version of the company's COVID-19 vaccine appears to provide stronger, longer-lasting protection against variants of the virus than the original vaccine.

Preliminary results from a study testing a vaccine that targets both the original strain of the virus and the beta variant — a so-called "bivalent" vaccine — appears to produce high levels of antibodies for months that can neutralize the virus.

"We believe that these results validate our bivalent strategy," said Stéphane Bancel, Moderna's chief executive officer, in a news release.

Bancel added that another bivalent vaccine that combines the original strain with the omicron strain "remains our lead candidate" for a fall vaccination campaign aimed at protecting people against a winter surge. Results from the testing of that version are expect later this spring, according to Moderna.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Subzwari1987 said:

All these bivalent and booster vaccines coming out and I’m still waiting to be able to vaccinate my 4 and 1 year old here…

We’re gonna have fusion energy before an under 5 vaccine

1650409881187.jpg
WWW.AXIOS.COM

The demise of the federal transportation mask mandate was particularly jarring for many parents of children under five anxiously waiting for word on when COVID shots will become available to their kids.

11 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

We’re gonna have fusion energy before an under 5 vaccine

1650409881187.jpg
WWW.AXIOS.COM

The demise of the federal transportation mask mandate was particularly jarring for many parents of children under five anxiously waiting for word on when COVID...

Apparently the under 2 results were fine and it was the 2-5 results that have resulted in these delays. Really dumb that they didn’t decouple the two age ranges, yeah it would produce a goofy eligibility gap in the middle...which honestly I'm sure is why it hasn't happened, obviously not having a weird gap in the middle that might confuse some people is more important than getting as many people as possible vaccinated. 

The reality is that with Covid, serious illness and death primarily occur in people over the age of 65+ -- and the risk increases almost logarithmically with age.

Kids, for the most part, have exceptionally low risks of serious illness.

I've seen some arguments from bio-ethicists that we shouldn't even bother to vaccinate younger children.  

3 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I've seen some arguments from bio-ethicists that we shouldn't even bother to vaccinate younger children.  

A friend of mine who has been doing pediatric vaccination work in Africa for USAID for decades has told me exactly this, that the risk profile for young children makes Covid a situation where she wouldn’t have pushed to include them. This is especially true in an era of Covid where we aren’t vaccinating to stop transmission, we really are just vaccinating to stop severe illness and the associated negative outcomes.

9 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

A friend of mine who has been doing pediatric vaccination work in Africa for USAID for decades has told me exactly this, that the risk profile for young children makes Covid a situation where she wouldn’t have pushed to include them. This is especially true in an era of Covid where we aren’t vaccinating to stop transmission, we really are just vaccinating to stop severe illness and the associated negative outcomes.

I think your last point is a very good one, and something that is frequently forgotten.

Covid is a top ten killer of children and if a shot could virtually eliminate the already low risk of death and MIS-C and reduce the likelihood of infection it should be permitted stop dipping your toes in antivax nonsense. 

like with chickenpox it used to kill only about 100-150 people per year, hospitalized about 10k people, and infected about 4 million, and lead to shingles later in life. Given this why would we vaccinate kids against chickenpox???? CDC reference

^this is what you people sound like. 

• True 1

Chickenpox used to be such a big fucking deal and now it’s not. Because of vaccination.

my daughter who is almost 6 got chickenpox approximately 5 years ago before she could get the vaccine. My pediatricians office had every nurse and doctor come in to look at her to learn what it looks like because people really don’t get it anymore, same for the pediatric dermatologist we went to because they couldn’t diagnose it initially. they didn’t know what it was! And you know what? We still got her vaccinated after infection

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Covid is a top ten killer of children and if a shot could virtually eliminate the already low risk of death and MIS-C and reduce the likelihood of infection it should be permitted stop dipping your toes in antivax nonsense. 

like with chickenpox it used to kill only about 100-150 people per year, hospitalized about 10k people, and infected about 4 million, and lead to shingles later in life. Given this why would we vaccinate kids against chickenpox???? CDC reference

^this is what you people sound like. 

Small children don’t die at any alarming rate, so saying something is a top 10 child killer is pretty meaningless. If Covid affected all ages the way it affects young children, we wouldn’t bother with literally any of the things we’ve done the last two years.

And guess what the chickenpox vaccine does that the Covid vaccine doesn’t? Prevents infection in the vast majority of patients after two doses (90%+!). This presents both a personal benefit and a public health benefit.

4 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Chickenpox used to be such a big fucking deal and now it’s not. Because of vaccination.

my daughter who is almost 6 got chickenpox approximately 5 years ago before she could get the vaccine. My pediatricians office had every nurse and doctor come in to look at her to learn what it looks like because people really don’t get it anymore, same for the pediatric dermatologist we went to because they couldn’t diagnose it initially. they didn’t know what it was! And you know what? We still got her vaccinated after infection

This is absolutely fascinating. Hell I remember cartoons for our generation still talked about it as a common thing. I believe there’s a whole episode of Rugrats where one kid gets it and the parents bring all the other kids together so they can get it too. 

Just now, sblfilms said:

Small children don’t die at any alarming rate, so saying something is a top 10 child killer is pretty meaningless. If Covid affected all ages the way it affects young children, we wouldn’t bother with literally any of the things we’ve done the last two years.

And guess what the chickenpox vaccine does that the Covid vaccine doesn’t? Prevents infection in the vast majority of patients after two doses (90%+!). This presents both a personal benefit and a public health benefit.

We recommend flu shots for younger kids despite them being not great at preventing infection or against severe disease (and the flu is marginally more deadly than covid at this age, because again kids largely don’t die of disease). 

so the covid vaccines appear to give kids the infection protection of the flu vaccine (maybe a little less) and the severe disease protection of chickenpox vaccine. This seems like something we should do and is great until we get better shots.