~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:
social
WWW.WSJ.COM

The antiparasitic drug has received attention from celebrities including Joe Rogan.

Was there ever a scientific basis as to why an anti parasitic drug would be effective against this virus? I never quite understood logic behind this.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Was there ever a scientific basis as to why an anti parasitic drug would be effective against this virus? I never quite understood logic behind this.

There is, but you legit would have to take a crazy amount to *maybe* have an effect. The dosing people were doing wouldn’t come close.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32871846/

Here is a study showing how ivermectin in a lab setting can block the spike protein from attaching. But again, in actual humans, the dose you would need to take to see this possibly work is apparently substantial

On 3/18/2022 at 9:43 AM, thewhyteboar said:

Well, my daughter had a fever last night. The home test was negative. The fever persisted all night so we went to the doctor today and my daughter is positive. My wife and I are negative but my baby is positive. 16 months old.

48 hours later and:

(replace “morning” with “fever”)

My little one does not have a fever. She still has a cough and some major snot, but I think the worst is over. 

• Like 9

My 4 year old had COVID back in January and recovered super fast. He caught the flu last week and it’s led to a ton of issues. He’s showing signs of weird infections everywhere and the ER doctor thinks it’s likely a case of MIS-C which is related to kids who had COVID.

WWW.CDC.GOV

Get information on Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome (MIS), a recently reported condition associated with COVID-19.

ugh scary stuff 

• Like 1
  • Sad 9

31 minutes ago, Comet said:

My 4 year old had COVID back in January and recovered super fast. He caught the flu last week and it’s led to a ton of issues. He’s showing signs of weird infections everywhere and the ER doctor thinks it’s likely a case of MIS-C which is related to kids who had COVID.

WWW.CDC.GOV

Get information on Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome (MIS), a recently reported condition associated with COVID-19.

ugh scary stuff 

I’m sorry to hear that. Can in Venmo you some $ so you and your fam can order dinner one of these nights? I know getting the family fed when you have a sick kiddo can be tough!

1 hour ago, Comet said:

WWW.CDC.GOV

ugh scary stuff 

I’m sending my best for your son/family @Comet

It is scary stuff as my brother suffered from this (symptoms fit him too a T but could be something very similar)over 30 years when he was in kindergarten after a bad bought of chicken pox. I still remember his entire body was like a waving red rash with some regular skin tone between. I think he was in the hospital for just over a week and was allowed to come home on Xmas eve. Shared a room with him and he threw up on our fake Xmas tree in the bedroom that night. Remember mom getting lots of Gatorade for him during that time to help his electrolytes up. Thankfully treatment has gotten better over the past 30 years too

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

I’m sorry to hear that. Can in Venmo you some $ so you and your fam can order dinner one of these nights? I know getting the family fed when you have a sick kiddo can be tough!

That’s super generous of you and I appreciate the offer but no worries! Right now my son and I are hunkering down thanks to tornado warnings all over our house while my wife is with my other one at the ER. We have a huge supply of uncrustables for the kids just for these scenarios. Such is life!

Initial blood tests came back good, so it likely isn’t MIS-C as the doctor suspected but there’s tomfoolery at play with my kids immune system (maybe just another virus he got while dealing with the flu). 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Comet said:

That’s super generous of you and I appreciate the offer but no worries! Right now my son and I are hunkering down thanks to tornado warnings all over our house while my wife is with my other one at the ER. We have a huge supply of uncrustables for the kids just for these scenarios. Such is life!

Initial blood tests came back good, so it likely isn’t MIS-C as the doctor suspected but there’s tomfoolery at play with my kids immune system (maybe just another virus he got while dealing with the flu). 

Uncrustables are amazing

• Sicko 1

My entire workplace is essentially turning against me as I am the only one still wearing a mask, and only coming in the minimum amount of times per week. After being told I had to come in two days per week this week despite being a close contact for COVID, I was told the following:

• Close contacts don't exist anymore (legally, in my province)
  • There is no legal isolation requirement anymore if you catch COVID (also true, in my province)
  • People are abusing the WFH system (i.e. me)

Then in our weekly Teams meeting, this was all brought up, but one of my coworkers asked why one of the three managers is allowed to only work one day per week in the office. We were told to "only worry about yourselves." In other words, rules for thee, and not for me. The reason he has always worked from home four days per week is that he bought a house 2.5 hours outside the city. Okay...so if this is such a hard rule, why is he still allowed to work here? I'm just tired of this kind of stuff, and will start keeping my eye out for similar jobs. My actual work is enjoyable and I like being in an educational environment, but the combination of the Catholic involvement (which has nothing to do with my work, thankfully) and this kind of political stuff is too much.

The ironic part is that I would say I am one of the biggest "team players" in our department. I am on every committee, I am most active in our slack and watercooler-type chats, I organize stuff, help out, etc. But as soon as I care about the wellbeing of my wife or my coworkers above-and-beyond the bare minimum asked by our provincial government (which then trickles down into publicly-funded school divisions), I am the villain. 

• Sad 2

Well in Ontario we lifted the mandate on Monday but I would guess +70% are still wearing their mask in stores/malls. I’m still wearing mine when out in public and mostly at work. We have a lot of slow periods and it’s just me and one other guy working and feel ok maskless around. I’m sort of in a sit and wait mode and agree that we should of waited the 2 weeks after people have return from a busy March break (spring break) travel week outside of the country. It almost feels like “we’re close, don’t fuck it up and play it safe” Wish my sleep were better as it’s been shit all week with constant 2:30-3:00am waking up full of energy and I just went to bed sometimes an hour or 2 beforehand. Back to my weed not doing much for me either, not even my ol’ reliable Chocolate Mint OG strain isn’t doing it for me. I’ll sleep when I’m dead I guess 

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

My entire workplace is essentially turning against me as I am the only one still wearing a mask, and only coming in the minimum amount of times per week. After being told I had to come in two days per week this week despite being a close contact for COVID, I was told the following:

• There is no legal isolation requirement anymore if you catch COVID (also true, in my province)

Then in our weekly Teams meeting, this was all brought up, but one of my coworkers asked why one of the three managers is allowed to only work one day per week in the office. We were told to "only worry about yourselves." In other words, rules for thee, and not for me. The reason he has always worked from home four days per week is that he bought a house 2.5 hours outside the city. Okay...so if this is such a hard rule, why is he still allowed to work here? I'm just tired of this kind of stuff, and will start keeping my eye out for similar jobs. My actual work is enjoyable and I like being in an educational environment, but the combination of the Catholic involvement (which has nothing to do with my work, thankfully) and this kind of political stuff is too much.

The ironic part is that I would say I am one of the biggest "team players" in our department. I am on every committee, I am most active in our slack and watercooler-type chats, I organize stuff, help out, etc. But as soon as I care about the wellbeing of my wife or my coworkers above-and-beyond the bare minimum asked by our provincial government (which then trickles down into publicly-funded school divisions), I am the villain. 

It's always tough to work in an environment where people don't share your views.  I hope you're able to negotiate something for yourself that makes you more comfortable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

I hear you. I'm resigning on Monday. Not covid reasons but because of equality issues. 

• Like 1

I am in Quebec this week, which still has a mask mandate, so I don't know what adherence is in Ontario first hand.

We sent our kids to school, and told them they had to take a mask with them, but it was up to them about whether they decided to wear one.  All are vaccinated.

1)  My son in Grade 9 says about 50% are wearing masks.  Has decided not to wear one.

2)  My son in Grade 7 says about 66% are wearing masks, he has decided to wear one for now.  But, plans on stopping soon.

3)  My daughter in kindergarten says about half of the kids are wearing them.  She hates masks and doesn't want to wear one.

I'd say about half of my students are wearing masks. it was about 75% at first and then kids felt more comfortable taking them off when they saw others. luckily there havent been any issues with one side giving the other side crap about it. 

220323000114-moderna-vaccine-trial-lab-1
WWW.CNN.COM

Moderna announced interim results of its Covid-19 vaccine for children younger than 6 on Wednesday.

Moderna announced interim results of its Covid-19 vaccine for children younger than 6 on Wednesday.

The company said two 25-microgram doses of its Covid-19 vaccine for children ages 6 months through 5 years old provided a similar immune response to two 100-microgram doses for adults ages 18 to 25, indicating that the benefit conferred to young adults is also conferred to young children.

The two doses of vaccine are given to children 28 days apart.

The data showed "a robust neutralizing antibody response" and "a favorable safety profile," according to a company news release issued Wednesday.

Based on the data, Moderna said it will ask the US Food and Drug Administration to authorize the use of the vaccine in this younger age group in the coming weeks.

• Sicko 1

5 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Nobody's said anything to me but I kind of suspect people at work are starting to think I'm crazy. Especially because it's a double mask setup (I use my ear protectors to keep the surgical mask attached to the good mask, it's a pretty seamless operation to get both masks on correctly at this point). The mask mandate in LA County lifted March 4 and a lot of people I still saw wearing masks like even a week ago have now shed them. I'm sticking to my guns on waiting until at least April 4 though, I've got my comfy Korean mask and the ear protectors make it comfier and at this point the only time I view my mask as an inconvenience is when I sit down at a restaurant and there isn't a good spot to put my mask. It's looking like another wave is gonna hit and I have zero compulsion to go first on this.

• Like 1

man_using_pulse_oximeter.jpg?itok=kJxQ3f
WWW.CIDRAP.UMN.EDU

Experts review 13 studies and advise on how to use pulse oximeters to signal when medical care is needed.

COVID-19 patients can safely use inexpensive pulse oximeters at home to watch for a drop in blood oxygen that signals they need to seek advanced care, according to a systematic review published yesterday in The Lancet Digital Health.

Pulse oximeters are small devices that shine light through a patient's finger to measure his or her blood oxygen saturation. They can be used alone or as part of a remote patient monitoring (RPM) package.

Imperial College London researchers analyzed 13 observational studies involving 2,908 participants in five countries using pulse oximetry to monitor their blood oxygen levels from when the COVID-19 pandemic began in 2020 to Apr 15, 2021. Some RPM programs had participants monitor their own oxygen levels, while others developed a mobile app or website for patients to report their readings.

Participants included older people with more than one underlying illness, young people, and pregnant and postpartum women. All participants had COVID-19 except for 12 controls in one study.

The researchers said that pulse oximetry can help overwhelmed hospitals reserve limited resources for patients who most need advanced care, as well as prevent unnecessary emergency department visits. And identifying COVID-19 patients whose oxygen levels are dropping can prevent treatment delays and extended hospitalizations.

Another potential tool to reduce the burden on hospitals.

3 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

We may not get any further money for vaccinations, but we're damned well gonna make sure that the carceral state gets its due!

If we’re not locking up anti vaxxers or materially improving the lives of those imprisoned (lmao) there’s no point to this

City of Mississauga said on the 20th that even though Ontario would be lifting the mask mandate provincially on the 21st, the city would still require them in all indoor settings until the 31st. Today, the 23rd, they announced the city voted to lift the mask mandate effective immediately. So they lasted all of three days before caving to pressure. Weak cowards. 

• Sad 1

Mississauga announced the delay in removing the ban was administrative, and would not be enforced. 

masks-620x256.jpg
WWW.INSAUGA.COM

Strictly speaking, Mississauga residents who take off their face masks in most public settings today (March 21), as allowed by the Ontario government, will be...