~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

My theory is that white people colonized and conquered most of the world because we lacked good food. Think about it—the things that were most valued were spices and sugar from far-off places, and the colonial empires gave up huge tracts of land just to keep the ones where they could get better food flavouring from. Europe, being that it is cold much of the year, focused on foods that were calorie-dense and could be stored over winter. Once white people got a taste of the spices of the rest of the warmer world, they decided to conquer it. Fuck Guns, Germs, and Steel, it should be Saffron, Sugar, and Cinnamon.

Tobacco too

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

My theory is that white people colonized and conquered most of the world because we lacked good food. Think about it—the things that were most valued were spices and sugar from far-off places, and the colonial empires gave up huge tracts of land just to keep the ones where they could get better food flavouring from. Europe, being that it is cold much of the year, focused on foods that were calorie-dense and could be stored over winter. Once white people got a taste of the spices of the rest of the warmer world, they decided to conquer it. Fuck Guns, Germs, and Steel, it should be Saffron, Sugar, and Cinnamon.

Sounds like you're saying the cold makes people cranky and violent. I mean, I've seen fights over parking chairs, so yeah, I can buy that.

GettyImages-1204797314-760x380.jpeg
ARSTECHNICA.COM

BA.2 is now accounting for about 75% of SARS-CoV-2 sequences worldwide.

From the comments:

You know how when prescribed antibiotics to fight a bacterial infection, doctors, pharmacists, and even the label on the pill bottle itself all advise the patient to continue taking the full prescription even after they start feeling better, because otherwise the not quite completely beaten infection will not only come back but the new infection will likely be more resistant to the antibiotics?

I really wish literally everyone in the world with the power to set and enforce public health policies would use the same logic for COVID precautions, restrictions, and other best practices to get us through the pandemic.

Because I am sofa king sick of the repetitive "relax restrictions because things have got better" -> two weeks -> "what's this, a new spike in COVID cases?" cycle. :mad:

5 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

I have yet to go anywhere, where there wasn't some amazing food.  Even the English, whose food generally is bland as hell, gave us Beef Wellington (greatest dish of all time) and Fish and Chips.

4 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I have yet to go anywhere, where there wasn't some amazing food.  Even the English, whose food generally is bland as hell, gave us Beef Wellington (greatest dish of all time) and Fish and Chips.

I mean, yes. I'm from New England and New England cuisine gets about as spicy as McDonald's BBQ sauce. Our entry into the pizza wars is weirdo beach pizza with slices of provolone cheese lazily thrown on a sheet of Prego and dough. Still, lobster rolls are delicious and who would want to live in a world with no apple cider donuts? I'm all for a fantastic English breakfast.

Just, as a whole, cuisines that spice their food with more than just salt and a few herbs make me feel something more than just calories. 

17 minutes ago, Joe said:

Over 1% of South Koreas population just got diagnosed with COVID in a single day.

Including a kid in my daughter's daycare class. Luckily she tested negative. Shit is wild. The vaccination rate is incredibly high though, as well as boosters. Wish I could get my daughter vaccinated though.

7 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

Including a kid in my daughter's daycare class. Luckily she tested negative. Shit is wild. The vaccination rate is incredibly high though, as well as boosters. Wish I could get my daughter vaccinated though.

What I had read was even though the unvaccinated were only 6% of the population, they were 60%+ of the serious hospitalizations and deaths.  Is that what you are hearing there?

24 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

I mean, yes. I'm from New England and New England cuisine gets about as spicy as McDonald's BBQ sauce. Our entry into the pizza wars is weirdo beach pizza with slices of provolone cheese lazily thrown on a sheet of Prego and dough. Still, lobster rolls are delicious and who would want to live in a world with no apple cider donuts? I'm all for a fantastic English breakfast.

Just, as a whole, cuisines that spice their food with more than just salt and a few herbs make me feel something more than just calories. 

Agreed.   But, I've also found that the street food of almost anywhere I go is amazing as well.

57 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I know that now that I’m a dad I’m supposed to be more mature but what the fuck my dude.

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

What I had read was even though the unvaccinated were only 6% of the population, they were 60%+ of the serious hospitalizations and deaths.  Is that what you are hearing there?

Yeah, and a lot of breakthrough cases for old people, who were vaccinated last spring with Astra-Zeneca. They've been trying to get boosters for all the older folk. My in-laws were vaccinated with Astra-Zeneca but both got Pfizer boosters earlier in January or so.

And anecdotally, a lot of kids. I think about 4 or 5 kids from my daughter's daycare? The father of some kids that I tutor told me that he has basically accepted that his kids will catch it and that it will be a light case if they do, so he isn't holding them back from doing activities.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Joe said:

I know that now that I’m a dad I’m supposed to be more mature but what the fuck my dude.

6 minutes ago, Jason said:

His defense of hard shell tacos certainly makes a lot more sense now though doesn't it? 

Medium rare beef tenderloin with mushrooms and prosciutto wrapped in puff pastry.  If you're dissing that...

neil degrasse tyson we got a badass over here GIF 

COVID-19 vaccinations data | COVID-19 (coronavirus) in Ontario

The cases in the last wave were significantly underreported due to lack of testing (only HC workers and "vulnerable" people were eligible for testing).  What really stands out is the decoupling between cases and deaths.  Data also shows that the Omicron deaths are virtually nonexistent in vaccinated people under 40 (despite a huge amount of cases), and are ~30x higher among those that are unvaccinated and 60+ than those that are vaccinated and 60+.

• Thanks 1

The US is already (at the current "endemic" levels) experiencing 3-5x the death per capita as many other western nations, and I guarantee it will have another wave that increases death again. The only thing to do is wait and then have people die, because politically I think the US is past caring. The same is absolutely true for much of Canada and Europe, but the main difference is those places have better adoption of vaccination due to more stable political climate.

• True 1

22 hours ago, thewhyteboar said:

Well, my daughter had a fever last night. The home test was negative. The fever persisted all night so we went to the doctor today and my daughter is positive. My wife and I are negative but my baby is positive. 16 months old.

• Like 2
  • Sad 7

30 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

Well, my daughter had a fever last night. The home test was negative. The fever persisted all night so we went to the doctor today and my daughter is positive. My wife and I are negative but my baby is positive. 16 months old.

Hang in there bud. She should be fine in the end.

1 hour ago, thewhyteboar said:

Hard to explain what it is like to have a sick kiddo to those who don’t have any. Nothing makes you feel more helpless. Sorry, bud.

2 hours ago, thewhyteboar said:

Sorry to hear that friend. Wishing her a speedy recovery.

She’s napping next to me now. Fever is lower than what last night, so that’s good. Luckily it’s not too hard for my wife and I to work from home so that’s something at least. 

Thanks for the kind words. She manages to be the sweetest little angel and the most mischievous little stinker at the same time. I hate seeing her not herself. 

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I thought you were already at 10+ doses?

Nah just 2 +booster.

ppl here thought I was jumping the gun getting the booster before it was open to everyone (I qualified cause of HBP but CEB investigates) and ppl assumed I was Fiona Apple-ing Moderna needles. So I just ran with it cause idgaf. Who am I to ruin a good story!? 

The Ontario Science Table released their new model projections yesterday (in the past they have significantly overcalled cases, deaths and hospitalizations -- it is not uncommon for actuals to be 50-60% of).  A couple of interesting points made:

1)  "Until mid Dec 2021, an estimated 30 to 45% of infections were reported; after change of testing strategy end of Dec 2021, an estimated 10% of infections are reported"

This implies that the decoupling between cases and serious illness is extremely significant.

2)  "A complete vaccine series (currently two doses in children, three doses in adults, four in long-term care residents and other eligible high-risk groups) is the best defence against getting and spreading COVID-19."

They're showing how low the booster dose uptake is -- particularly among younger people.  TBH, if you're 80+ and you haven't had a booster (and ~40% of them haven't) -- IMHO, you're making a very bad choice.

40 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

Nah just 2 +booster.

ppl here thought I was jumping the gun getting the booster before it was open to everyone (I qualified cause of HBP but CEB investigates) and ppl assumed I was Fiona Apple-ing Moderna needles. So I just ran with it cause idgaf. Who am I to ruin a good story!? 

We have @Jason to be the canary in the coal mine when it comes to taking too many COVID shots.

• True 1