~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

Wow, new study puts the U.S. life expectancy drop at 2.25 years over the pandemic. From almost 79 years down to 76.6

A new analysis found life expectancy in the United States continued to decrease in 2021, though not as significantly as in 2020.

The study, posted online Tuesday but not yet peer-reviewed, predicts life expectancy dropped to 76.60 years in 2021 from 76.99 years in 2020.

It is the second year in a row the life expectancy significantly dropped, with the study pointing out in 2019, before the COVID-19 pandemic, the life expectancy in the U.S. was 78.86 years.

Next time your crazy uncle Rick brings up white genocide at Thanksgiving this might be a good statistic to bring up.....

However, the drop in life expectancy that occurred in 2020 and 2021 varied among different racial and ethnic groups.

The study found the drop in life expectancy in 2021 was driven by white Americans, a change from 2020, when Hispanic and Black individuals’ life expectancy fell the most.

Last year saw white Americans’ life expectancy decline by 0.34 years, a drop that disproportionately affected men. The Hispanic population saw a statistically insignificant increase, while Black individuals had an increase of 0.42 years.

Hmmm, what could have caused such a shift in the trends in the first full year of the vaccine being available? Is there some other factor that correlates with being a white Male.......

13 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Chinese zero covid is not sustainable in the face of omicron (ba1, ba2, etc)

More on the deteriorating situation in Shanghai:

d6ebc6fe8f5f9a0458d58d673b7539d221534f5e
WWW.FRANCE24.COM

The United States on Saturday warned of "arbitrary" Covid-19 measures in China and said it would let some staff leave its Shanghai consulate amid a surge of infections in the locked-down megacity.

• Sad 1

Covid has done a good job of revealing the strengths and weaknesses of the various countries around the world. Fortunately if you live in America, our strengths meant access to high quality vaccines and a fairly robust economic supplement program. 2021 Q2 and on was really a choose-your-own-adventure for what the pandemic meant for you and your family, which also revealed much of the weakness.

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

More on the deteriorating situation in Shanghai:

d6ebc6fe8f5f9a0458d58d673b7539d221534f5e
WWW.FRANCE24.COM

The United States on Saturday warned of "arbitrary" Covid-19 measures in China and said it would let some staff leave its Shanghai consulate amid a surge of infections in the locked-down megacity.

Lmao, that is the most dystopian shit I’ve ever seen.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

I remain very confused about how China is authoritarian enough to lock entire cities inside their dwellings at gunpoint but apparently not sufficiently authoritarian to force those same people to get vaccinated.

They have been either with force or coercion but with a metric shit ton of folks my guess is they simply dont have the means to vaccinate as many as they would like. 

202109asia_china_covid_vaccine_0.jpg?h=e
WWW.HRW.ORG

On Aug. 31, Hunan police went to Zhang Jianping’s home and questioned him about why he refused to get a COVID-19 vaccine.

10 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

To further demonstrate how utterly ludicrous the actions of the Chinese government have been, by their own official data, there is only ONE person hospitalized with a serious case of Omicron out of 130K cases in Shaghai.

Which is strange given the relatively low age 80+ vaccinated rate

Despite higher hospitalization and case loads, there is no evidence that the ICUs in Ontario are yet close to being overwhelmed.

CMOH said earlier today that current modelling shows that present modelling suggests ICU usage might rise to about 600 people at the peak of this wave -- but that this wouldn't alter their plans.

Reiterated that people should get vaccinated -- up to 3rd dose for everyone eligible, 4th dose for 60+ and immunocompromised.  Reiterated plans to make Paxlovid easily accessible for the vulnerable.

33 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Reiterated that people should get vaccinated -- up to 3rd dose for everyone eligible, 4th dose for 60+ and immunocompromised.  Reiterated plans to make Paxlovid easily accessible for the vulnerable.

This Is The Way GIF by Priya

Tested positive this morning.  We went to dinner with some high school friends on Saturday (fairly large group of 9 people).  Mid-way through dinner, I asked a friend where his wife was....  He told me she didn't come because she wasn't feeling well.  He tested positive on Sunday.

So far, it's like a mild cold, with a VERY light headache, and some body aches.  No fever.

• Like 3

Like, okay, I kind of get people being "over" COVID and wanting to do everything they did before, even during rising waves like now. But if you or your housemates literally have the symptoms, why the fuck are you going out? No sympathy for people who are spreading it after two years of knowing what the symptoms are. "Oh I just thought it was the sniffles!"

• Like 1
  • True 1

21 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Like, okay, I kind of get people being "over" COVID and wanting to do everything they did before, even during rising waves like now. But if you or your housemates literally have the symptoms, why the fuck are you going out? No sympathy for people who are spreading it after two years of knowing what the symptoms are. "Oh I just thought it was the sniffles!"

I haven’t left the house since we heard he tested positive. Kids were put back in masks (my high schooler didn’t want to, so we moved him to online). On Tuesday, my wife started having the sniffles - and no one has left the house since. Yesterday her test was negative, today mine was positive. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I haven’t left the house since we heard he tested positive. Kids were put back in masks (my high schooler didn’t want to, so we moved him to online). On Tuesday, my wife started having the sniffles - and no one has left the house since. Yesterday her test was negative, today mine was positive. 

To be clear—I was talking about your friend, not implying anything about you! In my own case, we've been told that even if we are presenting symptoms, we are required to come into work at least 40% of the time unless we want to use sick days. So...even if I have a headache and sniffles (but am still testing negative on a rapid test), I have to come into work even though I can work from home without issue. Really stupid. Fortunately I have 60+ sick days accrued.