~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

~15 million with ~1600 deaths vs 10 million and 7k deaths all with similar population demographics and geography and types of government but differed in strategy seems a fair comparison

Of course and I even said that correcting for population doesn't change the results too much, but saying similarly sized countries when they are not in fact similarly sized is misleading.

37 minutes ago, Jason said:

10 million people in Sweden vs ~5.5 million per country for the other three is definitely similarly sized.

Depends on the context. Since the deaths were an order of magnitude off I can see why they  would say "similarly sized" for only 2x in population. But I think what the bigger factor could potentially be is the country density and spread dynamics. This is making me start to spiral into trying to do epidemiology though and I'm not an epidemiologist so I'm just going to stop now :p 

1 minute ago, legend said:

Depends on the context. Since the deaths were an order of magnitude off I can see why they  would say "similarly sized" for only 2x in population. But I think what the bigger factor could potentially be is the country density and spread dynamics. This is making start to spiral into trying to do epidemiology though and I'm not an epidemiologist so I'm just going to stop now :p

Okay but I studied physics and we know how physicists are about wading into other fields. :p

• Haha 2

But seriously, wading into epidemiology aside, I just don't see it as being misleading to characterize a <2x difference in population as meaning they're "similarly sized". If Norway only had 1 million people then yeah, that would be not similarly sized.

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

But seriously, wading into epidemiology aside, I just don't see it as being misleading to characterize a <2x difference in population as meaning they're "similarly sized". If Norway only had 1 million people then yeah, that would be not similarly sized.

Just seems misleading to me and makes the difference look even more drastic than it is to drive home their point. I dunno, I guess I am lone on this, but they could have made the same point using per capita numbers

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Let me tell you about engineers...

Hey at least physicists don't get into "jet fuel can't melt steel beams" territory--we tend to just overlook important information but avoid crossing into outright bullshit. :p

What % of the US has had COVID already? Probably a good estimate is take the official account and x2, so that would be around 30 million (so around 9%). So if you can get 60% of the pop to take the vaccine, that's 69%, which is probably enough for herd immunity to kick in (assuming 90-95% effective vaccine) to stop the spread. I mean, another 10-20% of the US will have likely had the virus by then anyway.

1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

What % of the US has had COVID already? Probably a good estimate is take the official account and x2, so that would be around 30 million (so around 9%). So if you can get 60% of the pop to take the vaccine, that's 69%, which is probably enough for herd immunity to kick in (assuming 90-95% effective vaccine) to stop the spread. I mean, another 10-20% of the US will have likely had the virus by then anyway.

Yep.

3 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Don't forget the 4 awful months still to come (to get to 2Q21) to infect millions more, counted and uncounted.

12 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

But a lot of people won't know they had the virus, so you can't just assume it's vaccinated+previously-infected.

I wonder if they're going to make people get tested for antibodies for issuing vaccines or if that would just bog things down too much.

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

But a lot of people won't know they had the virus, so you can't just assume it's vaccinated+previously-infected.

I wonder if they're going to make people get tested for antibodies for issuing vaccines or if that would just bog things down too much.

True but doubling the amount of infected is pretty conservative.

Also interesting to note:

PS_20.12.04_COVIDvaccine_featured.png
WWW.PEWRESEARCH.ORG

Still about two-in-ten U.S. adults are “pretty certain” they won’t get the vaccine – even when there’s more information.

about 65% of Black americans are very or somewhat concerned about getting a serious case of covid, but less than half intend on getting the vaccine when available at this point according to polls. Both are the highest and lowest %, respectively, of any group of americans when surveyed by race

2 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Also interesting to note:

PS_20.12.04_COVIDvaccine_featured.png
WWW.PEWRESEARCH.ORG

Still about two-in-ten U.S. adults are “pretty certain” they won’t get the vaccine – even when there’s more information.

about 65% of Black americans are very or somewhat concerned about getting a serious case of covid, but less than half intend on getting the vaccine when available at this point according to polls. Both are the highest and lowest %, respectively, of any group of americans when surveyed by race

I mean can you really blame them?

120917-g-zz999-004-2.jpg
WWW.HISTORY.COM

Known officially as the Tuskegee Study of Untreated Syphilis in the Negro Male, the study began at a time when there was no known treatment for the disease.