~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

Vaccines showing promise and knowing that Biden will be taking over, while he already has a task force in place, to solve the tricky distribution problem is the best set of news all year.

It's mind blowing how much relief there is knowing that our government will actually try to help rather than doing the worst possible thing they could do.

2 hours ago, CayceG said:

How in the world are they going to transport this? How will low-resource hospitals stock it?

Pfizer put out a diagram, basically a box with styrfoam insulation and dry ice. They said it'll keep it cold enough for 10 days, then they can be moved to a regular freezer for up to a day or two. I've had steaks delivered the same way.

8 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

The President doesn't have that kind of power.  

Or at least I would argue he doesn't have that kind of power. 

7 minutes ago, SlipperySlope said:

Also half the states won't listen to it anyway. 

I would lean towards this, as well. 

What do you think about making some of the state relief funds in the next stimulus contingent on states following CDC guidelines for mask mandates? 

14 minutes ago, Joe said:

So?

Lol right? The point of a Biden presidency, even if you didn't agree with his policies, was that electing him would "send a message" or some bullshit like that. What's a more clear message than an "unenforceable" mask mandate?

I don't agree that it's unenforceable though. There's the FAA mandating mask usage on flights, Amtrak, etc. Requirements for entry into federal buildings, and shit if we really wanted to do some good, a requirement (with funding and supplies) for prisons and jails where there's been terrible outbreaks (and before you get into some radical stuff like pardoning/commuting the sentence of older/nonviolent prisoners)! To say nothing of DOT-funded public transport, or other private facilities that get certain subsidies or payments from the feds (e.g. supermarkets that accept wic or food stamps)

There's a lot that can be done and tied to money appropriated!

22 minutes ago, Joe said:

So?

Why waste time on something that doesn't work when you can do things that actually do work?

8 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I don't agree that it's unenforceable though. There's the FAA mandating mask usage on flights, Amtrak, etc. Requirements for entry into federal buildings,

These are the only types of places where the federal government could enforce things as they actual have law enforcement agents in those locations. They can't enforce them in your kid's day care.

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

Why waste time on something that doesn't work when you can do things that actually do work?

These are the only types of places where the federal government could enforce things as they actual have law enforcement agents in those locations. They can't enforce them in your kid's day care.

They don't have law enforcement on flights. As @b_m_b_m_b_msaid they can force the state to enforce them as a condition of federal funding. 

1 minute ago, Jason said:

They don't have law enforcement on flights. As @b_m_b_m_b_msaid they can force the state to enforce them as a condition of federal funding. 

They have them on some flights, but also at the entry and exit points of flights. Enforcement doesn't have to occur in the moment. There is a legitimate threat of force when it comes to flights and masks that doesn't exist in other places. And who at the state level is going to enforce them? Most states have or have had mandates and a ton of police agencies have simply refused to comply with them, even in very blue areas. 

14 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

You're telling me that issuing a mask mandate for all indoor businesses won't increase mask usage at all?

I think a broad interpretation of the Public health services act could empower or require departments of health to enforce mask mandates, as what happens here in virginia. Violations are reported to VDH who investigate and can issue fines or even close a business in violation of the governor's health orders

Ask for forgiveness not permission, this is a damn emergency

4 minutes ago, Joe said:

You're telling me that issuing a mask mandate for all indoor businesses won't increase mask usage at all?

Not to any notable degree. People have figured out they won't actually get in trouble for not wearing them, so if they don't want to do it they just don't. The people who trust that masks are effective do it even in areas where there aren't mandates in place.

2 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I think a broad interpretation of the Public health services act could empower departments of health to enforce mask mandates, as what happens here in virginia. Violations are reported to VDH who investigate and can issue fines or even close a business.

Placing the onus on the business to enforce these mandates is really stupid. I had to tell my staff to stop engaging with maskless customers because there were regular threats of violence directed at them.

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Not to any notable degree. People have figured out they won't actually get in trouble for not wearing them, so if they don't want to do it they just don't. The people who trust that masks are effective do it even in areas where there aren't mandates in place.

Placing the onus on the business to enforce these mandates is really stupid. I had to tell my staff to stop engaging with maskless customers because there were regular threats of violence directed at them.

You don't actually know this. You're just voicing your opinion. I live in a fairly moderate suburban county in NJ and conservatives and liberals alike where masks indoors at all times. You might catch a stray person with the mask on wrong, but otherwise everyone wears them.

6 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

It's how we manage here in virginia. businesses communicate to customers that they're risking having the businesses close down temporarily if they don't help, and we seem to have very good mask compliance from what I see around (and a relatively low infection rate compared to neighboring states)

6 minutes ago, Joe said:

You don't actually know this. You're just voicing your opinion. I live in a fairly moderate suburban county in NJ and conservatives and liberals alike where masks indoors at all times. You might catch a stray person with the mask on wrong, but otherwise everyone wears them.

What does conservative/liberal have to do with what I said? You're reading something into that I didn't even suggest. Feel free to walk into literally any store in Harris County, which has had a mask mandate since early summer, and you'll see tons of people who aren't wearing masks because Houston PD and Harris County Sheriff's Office are not enforcing the mandate. But many more people still wear them because they do believe it helps.

And the fact of the matter is we are beyond the point of masks being an effective tool because our behavior generally is so lax that it doesn't matter if we had 100% mask compliance. People need to be away from each other, not close and indoors but wearing masks.

3 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

It's how we manage here in virginia. businesses communicate to customers that they're risking having the businesses close down temporarily if they don't help, and we seem to have very good mask compliance from what I see around (and a relatively low infection rate compared to neighboring states)

I've had to personally deal with angry anti-maskers. It's ridiculous to put random people in physical danger to uphold the government's rules on masks.

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

What does conservative/liberal have to do with what I said? You're reading something into that I didn't even suggest. Feel free to walk into literally any store in Harris County, which has had a mask mandate since early summer, and you'll see tons of people who aren't wearing masks because Houston PD and Harris County Sheriff's Office are not enforcing the mandate. But many more people still wear them because they do believe it helps.

And the fact of the matter is we are beyond the point of masks being an effective tool because our behavior generally is so lax that it doesn't matter if we had 100% mask compliance. People need to be away from each other, not close and indoors but wearing masks.

I've had to personally deal with angry anti-maskers. It's ridiculous to put random people in physical danger to uphold the government's rules on masks.

I don't know about other states.  But here in Ohio we had more strict occupancy limits before that helped along with the masks, they relaxed that, all that's left now is the bars close at 10 and  we're racking up 5,000 new cases a day the past week.  I'd also say anecdotally that around 1/4 of the people I see at the store these days aren't masking up.

But apparently none of that matters because from what I understand a significant source of the spread are small social gatherings at people's homes and I don't think there's anything you can do about that at this point.

Where I live it seems that most of the spread is people hanging out with friends and family at home (without masks). Though even with masks, if you're in the same contained room as someone else for an hour or two the chances of catching it are very high. The buy-in required to really slow spread is to convince people not to go to other people's houses...and I don't think it's going to happen. Police are handing out $2,800 tickets in my city for house parties of over 10 people, and people keep hosting them. One even said that their 250-person party (over Halloween) was with their bubble that they see all the time...

1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

Where I live it seems that most of the spread is people hanging out with friends and family at home (without masks). Though even with masks, if you're in the same contained room as someone else for an hour or two the chances of catching it are very high. The buy-in required to really slow spread is to convince people not to go to other people's houses...and I don't think it's going to happen. Police are handing out $2,800 tickets in my city for house parties of over 10 people, and people keep hosting them. One even said that their 250-person party (over Halloween) was with their bubble that they see all the time...

This is the key, you can maybe get the law to enforce on large scale gatherings, but you aren’t gonna get them shutting down small gatherings and that is really what is lighting places on fire. Same thing in Europe.

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Yes, that's where most of the spread is happening because mask mandates are working so effectively. People aren't getting the virus at the supermarket anymore. Similar thing is happening in Europe. Pandemic fatigue.