~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

3 minutes ago, Joe said:

Yes, that's where most of the spread is happening because mask mandates are working so effectively. People aren't getting the virus at the supermarket anymore. Similar thing is happening in Europe. Pandemic fatigue.

People are social and Zoom happy hours are still you drinking alone staring at a screen.  I'm relatively introverted, but working from home and not really seeing people  has definitely taken a toll...

5 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

Fines.

If you’re caught, by police, not wearing a mask, you get a hefty fine. Make it big enough so that white people actually complain about it.

Money talks, and then the pandemic walks.

Do you honestly think the county sheriff in bumfucked Oklahoma is going to hand out fines for people not complying Biden's mask mandate? 

I'm sure you also think that California will start enforcing federal marijuana laws against all of the dispensaries too. 

7 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

Fines.

If you’re caught, by police, not wearing a mask, you get a hefty fine. Make it big enough so that white people actually complain about it.

Police departments across the country are some of the biggest offenders on mask refusal, so...

5 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Do you honestly think the county sheriff in bumfucked Oklahoma is going to hand out fines for people not complying Biden's mask mandate? 

I'm sure you also think that California will start enforcing federal marijuana laws against all of the dispensaries too. 

The hick Sheriff one county over from me said he wasn't about to enforce our Republican governor's mask mandate if they ever gave it teeth.  I've included a picture of the sheriff for reference.

sheriff-richard-jones.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

2 minutes ago, Commodore D said:

Is anyone surprised? Trump has been saying November since forever; mentioning Pfizer's work was looking promising long ago.

https://youtu.be/WWkXui7cics (don't post here enough to know how to do this correctly. 

Yes, because Trump is a fucking goober and couldn’t tell you what a clinical trial is, let alone foretell which ones will have positive results.

9 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Fuck Oklahoma. They’re not important and the less people that survive covid there, the better.

6 minutes ago, Jason said:

Police departments across the country are some of the biggest offenders on mask refusal, so...

Fuck them too. Have the feds fine the shit out of any departments not following mask mandates. 

Again, money talks.

11 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

Fines.

Harris County, which has a Democrat for County Mayor, city of Houston Mayor, and Sheriff, has had a mask mandate that includes fines since early June and immediately the police union that reps the city and county law enforcement said their members would not be enforcing the mask mandate.

As @Jasonnoted, police across the country have been seen openly violating mask mandates in their municipalities.

1 minute ago, Kal-El814 said:

Yes, because Trump is a fucking goober and couldn’t tell you what a clinical trial is, let alone foretell which ones will have positive results.

But he can read and regurgitate what non - goobers have told him, especially if positive for him........ Which he did.

4 minutes ago, Commodore D said:

Is anyone surprised? Trump has been saying November since forever; mentioning Pfizer's work was looking promising long ago.

https://youtu.be/WWkXui7cics (don't post here enough to know how to do this correctly. 

Lot of gopers on twitter saying it's "very curious" how the announcement has come after the election despite the pronouncements from pfizer that it wasn't going to announce preliminary results until mid November

Just now, MarSolo said:

Fuck Oklahoma. They’re not important and the less people that survive covid there, the better.

Fuck them too. Have the feds fine the shit out of any departments not following mask mandates. 

Again, money talks.

They can’t fine police departments for not enforcing federal mask mandates 😂

Just now, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Lot of gopers on twitter saying it's "very curious" how the announcement has come after the election despite the pronouncements from pfizer that it wasn't going to announce preliminary results until mid November

I'm sure there are, though I said none of that; did I?

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

Harris County, which has a Democrat for County Mayor, city of Houston Mayor, and Sheriff, has had a mask mandate that includes fines since early June and immediately the police union that reps the city and county law enforcement said their members would not be enforcing the mask mandate.

As @Jasonnoted, police across the country have been seen openly violating mask mandates in their municipalities.

Might be a good time for the feds to crack down on police!

But for their white supremacist ties of course

Just now, sblfilms said:

Hey, I don’t know how this shit works, I’m just spit balling ideas here.

Something has to be done. I’d like to experience summer again at some point.

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

They can defund the the police if they keep refusing masks, though. :mthinking:

gettyimages-1216624543_wide-2d3a40a6f3f2
WWW.NPR.ORG

An array of federal agencies funnel grants to local law enforcement. But some say that federal involvement undermines community accountability and focuses more on enforcement than minimizing harm.

5 minutes ago, Joe said:

Some people won't follow this law. Might as well not have it in the first-place! Not a great argument.

That isn’t the argument. The argument is that there isn’t any effective way to enforce the law, so there is no point.

The lack of enforcement is why people are starting to not follow it. 

7 minutes ago, Jason said:

They can defund the the police if they keep refusing masks, though. :mthinking:

gettyimages-1216624543_wide-2d3a40a6f3f2
WWW.NPR.ORG

An array of federal agencies funnel grants to local law enforcement. But some say that federal involvement undermines community accountability and focuses more on enforcement than minimizing harm.

Political suicide. 

Just now, sblfilms said:

That isn’t the argument. The argument is that there isn’t any effective way to enforce the law, so there is no point.

NJ does not have an effective way to enforce the law, but the adoption rate is very high.

6 minutes ago, Joe said:

NJ does not have an effective way to enforce the law, but the adoption rate is very high.

Because people who trust they work will do it anyway, which I already said. The people who don’t think they work aren’t going to wear them if there is no consequence for not wearing them.

I wear a mask in Harris County even though I know I don’t have to because I won’t get in trouble because my wearing a mask has nothing to do with the mandate.

24 minutes ago, Commodore D said:

Except for you know, what actual happened.

I know people don't like to live in actuals, but they exist.

What do you think is more likely? Trump lied and ended up being proven right, or people at Pfizer decided to let him know the preliminary results of a clinical trial, perhaps before any statistical analysis had even happened?

There’s zero reason to take Trump at his word on shit like this.

13 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Because people who trust they work will do it anyway, which I already said. The people who don’t think they work aren’t going to wear them if there is no consequence for not wearing them.

I wear a mask in Harris County even though I know I don’t have to because I won’t get in trouble because my wearing a mask has nothing to do with the mandate.

This isn't true. You can't tell me that 99% of conservatives in NJ believe in the efficacy of masks. Baseless assumption on your part. 

15 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I think you are under estimating the number of people who will do something because it is even nominally required from a legal standpoint. There’s no consequence for running a stop sign if no one is around, but plenty of people still stop because they inherently will follow whatever has been proscribed.