~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

3 hours ago, Chairslinger said:

With no stimulus coming and cases spiking it's nice to know people will be told to stay in their houses which they will promptly be evicted from.

That is depressing and true.

2 hours ago, Littleronin said:

Nevada put 10 of its 17 counties on elevated status. What does that mean? Absolutely nothing in reality. Also the states highest cases/100k is Churchill County. Where Trump Jr. held a rally roughly 2 weeks ago...

Yeah, we're on like a "modified" lockdown in Portland that ultimately didn't really change anything. The status will be reviewed again in 2 weeks. But without another stimulus bill, we absolutely can't shut down businesses again. I work for probably the 4th or 5th largest private employer in Oregon, and I don't think they would survive even a month shut down without another stimulus package. They didn't even have enough cash to give everyone their last paychecks when we got laid off the first time, they had to get a loan.

Not to mention a lot of people used up all of their unemployment benefits. You can apply to get it extended, but it was already a shitshow the first time around, I imagine it will be worse the second time, and a lot of people will slip through the cracks.

Over the past 26 days, Michigan has seen a 215% increase in hospitalizations, a 146% increase in patients on ventilators and a 137% increase in patients in the ICU:

At least they figured out sending my kids back to in person learning would be dumb as hell 1 week before it was going to happen.

Assholes that gotta go out to eat and dine in, have parties, etc are the reason I'm going to be stuck working from home through 2020 and likely most if not all of 2021.

12 minutes ago, Ominous said:

Over the past 26 days, Michigan has seen a 215% increase in hospitalizations, a 146% increase in patients on ventilators and a 137% increase in patients in the ICU:

At least they figured out sending my kids back to in person learning would be dumb as hell 1 week before it was going to happen.

Assholes that gotta go out to eat and dine in, have parties, etc are the reason I'm going to be stuck working from home through 2020 and likely most if not all of 2021.

I work in a restaurant (I wish I didn't these days). We opened back up with some safety measures in late June/early July. Within a few days of being open again, I had a fucking bachelor party come in. They were exactly 10 people, which was the limit, and they got mad that they couldn't play pool or do anything fun (the rule is, unless you're going to the bathroom or entering/exiting, you have to be seated at your table). Then, the bachelorette party came in (what's the point of a bachelor party if you're hanging out with your fiancee, anyway?) and I had to tell them that they had to be separated. They got mad and left. The whole time I was just thinking WHY ARE YOU EVEN DOING THIS RIGHT NOW?! YOU CAN'T EVEN DO FUN BACHELOR PARTY THINGS! STRIP CLUBS ARE CLOSED!"

On that note; WHY DO YOU NEED TO GET MARRIED RIGHT FUCKING NOW! Isn't the point of getting married that you have found someone you want to be with for the rest of your life? You can get married next year! Next summer will still be there!

The stress of working in a bar right now has been higher than I've ever experienced. I want to tell everyone to stay home.

Just now, Fizzzzle said:

I work in a restaurant (I wish I didn't these days). We opened back up with some safety measures in late June/early July. Within a few days of being open again, I had a fucking bachelor party come in. They were exactly 10 people, which was the limit, and they got mad that they couldn't play pool or do anything fun (the rule is, unless you're going to the bathroom or entering/exiting, you have to be seated at your table). Then, the bachelorette party came in (what's the point of a bachelor party if you're hanging out with your fiancee, anyway?) and I had to tell them that they had to be separated. They got mad and left. The whole time I was just thinking WHY ARE YOU EVEN DOING THIS RIGHT NOW?! YOU CAN'T EVEN DO FUN BACHELOR PARTY THINGS! STRIP CLUBS ARE CLOSED!"

On that note; WHY DO YOU NEED TO GET MARRIED RIGHT FUCKING NOW! Isn't the point of getting married that you have found someone you want to be with for the rest of your life? You can get married next year! Next summer will still be there!

The stress of working in a bar right now has been higher than I've ever experienced. I want to tell everyone to stay home.

I know a few people that were super pissed, and mad at the gov. of Michigan, at the lock downs and all.  The idea of not having a big blow out wedding was not something they were ok with....blows my mind.

1 hour ago, marioandsonic said:

Just got a text from my mom. My grandmother did test positive for covid.

But they did a chest X-ray which came back clear, so...that's a plus?

So, one of my uncles is picking her up, and taking her home. I guess the doctors felt she didn't have to stay overnight. Another positive?

2 hours ago, Ominous said:

My jaw dropped when I saw our state was over 14% today for positive cases and my county is now responsible for 1 in 9 cases for the state.  We were hovering around 20 to 30 cases a day for a long time, and now, just today alone, we've had 851 reported new cases.  I knew this area was doomed once schools started opening up as besides grade schools, we're full of colleges as well.  

13 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

A vaccine is worthless if people won't get vaccinated.

Most surveys are showing less than 50% of people would take it, much less the over 70% you would need to be effective.

Is that 50% for any vaccine, or for a Trump administration approved vaccine? 

2 hours ago, osxmatt said:

I'm not sure how much longer governors can keep states open.

Daily cases and hospitalizations are at levels we've never seen before. If we had a 30-45 days to slow the spread in March / April, there is no reason we should be open now.

They'll stay open until there's a safety net for the businesses and people. There is no other choice. If the country shut down again right now with no stimulus bill, who knows how many millions of people will lose their jobs, and this time they won't be just temporarily laid off. Their jobs will just be gone. Some states literally don't have any more money in the unemployment trust, so giving people unemployment benefits will require... fucking who knows. The government might have to just print money, which has its own long term consequences.

I hate that Democrats and Republicans couldn't just agree that a stimulus bill was necessary. Instead, Pelosi, Schumer, McConnell, Graham, and all the other fucks have spent the last 3 months trying to use it as a weapon. Now we're in this shithole situation, and nothing may change until February.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

They'll stay open until there's a safety net for the businesses and people. There is no other choice. If the country shut down again right now with no stimulus bill, who knows how many millions of people will lose their jobs, and this time they won't be just temporarily laid off. Their jobs will just be gone. Some states literally don't have any more money in the unemployment trust, so giving people unemployment benefits will require... fucking who knows. The government might have to just print money, which has its own long term consequences.

I hate that Democrats and Republicans couldn't just agree that a stimulus bill was necessary. Instead, Pelosi, Schumer, McConnell, Graham, and all the other fucks have spent the last 3 months trying to use it as a weapon. Now we're in this shithole situation, and nothing may change until February.

This is a really bad "both sides" take. 

3 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

I'm not saying both sides are equally responsible, but they all do carry some blame.

The only things Republicans would agree to was giving money to themselves and their friends to the tune of billions of dollars and giving the rest of us a single additional $1200 check with donald trump's name on it.

58 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

I just got off the phone with my grandmother.  She's in bed resting right now.  I could definitely tell she was ill in her voice, but she seems to be okay.

I'm going to go ahead and put my gym membership on hold for now.  I'm scared to leave the house now...

This is one of my major problems with the media, they have everyone terrified, and its gone a bit too far. 

absolutely be careful, take care of yourself, wear a mask, wash your hands, avoid unnecessary contact, but don’t be scared. Its not a death sentence, its not even close for most healthy adults. Be careful, but being scared of going out isn’t good for anyone’s mental health.