Coming exclusively to [insert console]* ___ *and PC

crispy4000

Coming exclusively to [insert console]* ___ *and PC  

40 members have voted

1. 1. If all Sony 'exclusives' get PC ports next-gen, will you play primarily on consoles?

• Yes, mostly on Series X.
    • Yes, mostly on PS5.
    • Maybe. It depends if Sony releases games on PC simultaneously
    • Maybe. It depends on what price the consoles sell for.
    • No. The PC will be my primary living room console.
    • I can still see myself playing mostly on Switch or its successor.
    • No clue at this point.

13 hours ago, sblfilms said:

With consoles I don’t ever have to monkey with settings, deal with a driver update creating a conflict with something else, or have some random windows update break everything and have to roll back to a previous state. Modern OSes are better, but still not as simple as what consoles offer in that regard.

Yup.

No interest in a PC. I just don't care to build one. Will get the PS5, though.

25 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

As someone who started this gen as almost exclusively a console gamer and is now primarily a PC gamer.

1)  Updates

• While PC updates can be frequent, they are largely invisible (except for the large semi-annual updates, which are ALMOST invisible). 
  • The Xbox updates are IMHO significantly more intrusive.  They need to be started manually, you CAN'T schedule them, when you "need" an update, it won't let you game, and my last Xbox update took somewhere between 15-30 minutes.  I've never been not able to game because my PC needed an update
  • Video driver updates are literally two button presses.
  • Most people have a PC anyways, you're doing these updates already
  • Updates don't break your PC very often (I've never had it happen)

3)  Settings

• You don't have to mess with settings on PC if you don't want to.  Let GeForce Experience do it, or pick one of the presets in the game
  • You CAN mess with settings on PC if you want to.  Consoles don't let you customize the settings to get a stable/high framerate.

2)  UI

• Managing multiple stores on PC can be more complicated
  • Installing/Uninstalling games on PC is right on the launcher, so much better than going into the settings on console

3) KB/Mouse

• Keyboard and mouse is SIGNIFICANTLY better for certain genres of gaming -- notably first person shooters and strategy war games

4) Cost

• Gaming PCs cost more than consoles for hardware purchases (particularly compared to consoles at launch) -- this is slightly mitigated in that many people would have a PC there anyways
  • Digital games on PC are cheaper than digital games on consoles
  • No subscription fees on PC

5) Performance

• If you have the right PC, games will look better and perform better on PC

To me, there really isn't a "right" choice.  I believe that PC gaming is better, and the extra effort is REALLY minimal.  However, I totally get why some people want consoles.

One thing you forgot

The same day you start gaming on a PC you receive one of these in mail. 

Image result for pagan ritual

Sacrifice a goat or 2 in a black magic ritual BEFORE you start updating or installing drivers, it takes all the complication out of it and makes it simple.

• Haha 1

Option 1 - go to a store, give $400, take a box home, slide it into the slot in the tv stand, plug it in, update, download game and play games. 

Option 2 - ask a forum for what parts you should buy, watch old men bicker over how much ram you need, buy said parts, build a pc with said parts, turn it on, nothing happens, google help, take it part, put it back together, turn it on, nothing, hit the fucking tower in frustration, get a bandaid for the cut, find old PC parts to figure it out what is not working, try to return the broken part, can’t, start RMA process, wait a week, turn it on, hallelujah, load software, download games, find a way to make windows bigger because I can’t see shit from my coach, play a game, tweak the settings, google which setting to turn off to get steady frame rate, play game, maybe tweak the foliage detail to high, stop game, tweak some more, and finally play game while thinking is this the best it can look?

But hey, you do you bud. 

slow motion yes GIF

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Option 1 - go to a store, give $400, take a box home, slide it into the slot in the tv stand, plug it in, update, download game and play games. 

Option 2 - ask a forum for what parts you should buy, watch old men bicker over how much ram you need, buy said parts, build a pc with said parts, turn it on, nothing happens, google help, take it part, put it back together, turn it on, nothing, hit the fucking tower in frustration, get a bandaid for the cut, find old PC parts to figure it out what is not working, try to return the broken part, can’t, start RMA process, wait a week, turn it on, hallelujah, load software, download games, find a way to make windows bigger because I can’t see shit from my coach, play a game, tweak the settings, google which setting to turn off to get steady frame rate, play game, maybe tweak the foliage detail to high, stop game, tweak some more, and finally play game while thinking is this the best it can look?

But hey, you do you bud. 

slow motion yes GIF

Wow.  If option 2 was your PC build, you must be an idiot.

Edit:  (I know full well this didn't happen to you, and you're using hyperbole for dramatic effect)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Nail on the head bud.  This was me

patrick star GIF

Sorry for being so flippant then.

I can say, that I have built about 5 computers over the last 35 years (only 1 in the last 15) -- and have never had to RMA a part,   I have, however, bought a console that was DOA (rare I know), and had Sony refuse to fix a console for a known design flaw because it was "water damaged" (apparently living in a place with over 100% humidity turns their "water damage" detectors on) even though I was paying for the repair.

TBH, most PC gamers obsess over their components too much.  The difference between brands of PSU, MB, memory, cases, etc. is not really important.  You can buy from one of the "best builds under $X", and you're good to go.

51 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

But hey, you do you bud. 

slow motion yes GIF

Option 2: Buy a prebuilt PC and not have to worry about anything you listed and it is just as easy as a console?

1 hour ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

But hey, you do you bud. 

slow motion yes GIF

FYI, these days CyberpowerPCs (and others) are pretty reasonably priced if you don't want to build your own.

Consoles are still cheaper naturally, but are also more limited in graphical potential. So choose what works for your budget and care.

I'm probably skipping the XBox this Gen.  For games that feel better with mouse & keyboard (almost all shooters, MOBAs, etc.) I have my PC.  For everything else, most of my console gaming is Switch and PS and I don't see that changing anytime soon.  The XBox was always the kiddie system in my house and now my kids are older and one is basically out of the house so....yeah this will probably be the first gen in a long time I don't bother buying one.  Writing this now, I'm not even sure if my XBone is plugged in right now.

Of the options I selected Switch, but really it will likely be what I have now; a mostly even balance between Switch and PS5, with PC thrown in for specific types of games.

11 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Update your drivers?

If only it were that simple. The issue I have is well documented and none of the supposed fixes work for me. Nvidia has apparently admitted it's something in their drivers, but who knows if it will ever be fixed. When I was researching it I found forum posts from multiple years ago with people having the same issue.

9 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

It isn’t exact but I did have issues building my HTPC to the point, I will never build another one again. 

Buy a pre-built desktop. It WILL be more expensive than a console, but you should more than make up for the costs on the backend with cheaper games and no monthly subscription. I mean, you could also get a gaming PC that's close-ish to the price of a console. The games just won't look as good, but  they'll still run fine.

1 hour ago, jaethos said:

If only it were that simple. The issue I have is well documented and none of the supposed fixes work for me. Nvidia has apparently admitted it's something in their drivers, but who knows if it will ever be fixed. When I was researching it I found forum posts from multiple years ago with people having the same issue.

What exactly is the issue?

The error is "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered"

It crashes whatever game I'm playing and sometimes kills the detection of the monitor or even (rarely) freezes the PC completely.

The only thing that seems to mitigate it is downclocking my GPU, though that's not certain either as sometimes that does nothing and sometimes running it at default works just fine too.

It's ruined entire gaming sessions and every time it happens it makes me wish my consoles were as powerful as my PC, so I wouldn't have to deal with it.

At this point I'm pretty sure the only thing that will fix it is a new GPU, so hopefully this year a non ludicrously priced upgrade for my card comes out.

50 minutes ago, jaethos said:

The error is "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered"

It crashes whatever game I'm playing and sometimes kills the detection of the monitor or even (rarely) freezes the PC completely.

The only thing that seems to mitigate it is downclocking my GPU, though that's not certain either as sometimes that does nothing and sometimes running it at default works just fine too.

It's ruined entire gaming sessions and every time it happens it makes me wish my consoles were as powerful as my PC, so I wouldn't have to deal with it.

At this point I'm pretty sure the only thing that will fix it is a new GPU, so hopefully this year a non ludicrously priced upgrade for my card comes out.

What brand (manufacturer) is your gpu? It sounds defective 

I’ll get both the XboxSex and PS5. I would love to go back to playing SP games on my PC, but I’ve come to enjoy sitting on my couch with my 65” OLED and surround sound vs. sitting at a desk w a 27” monitor and having to use headphones. 

if it’s in the cards, my next PC build with be a small form factor So that i can put into my entertainment center and hook up to my tv. I looked into converting my current PC into a HTPC but the mobos are no longer made and the ones still around (that are decent) fetch a high premium for a used product. Between needing a new case, psu, mobo and cpu cooler - it didn’t seem like it was worth the cost being my PC is now quite a few years old. 

2 hours ago, atom631 said:

I’ll get both the XboxSex and PS5. I would love to go back to playing SP games on my PC, but I’ve come to enjoy sitting on my couch with my 65” OLED and surround sound vs. sitting at a desk w a 27” monitor and having to use headphones. 

I play PC games on my couch on my 65” OLED and 7.1 surround sound. If I didn’t have an HDMI cable that reached, I could just stream from my PC to my TV via Steam Link or Gamestream. 

5 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I play PC games on my couch on my 65” OLED and 7.1 surround sound. If I didn’t have an HDMI cable that reached, I could just stream from my PC to my TV via Steam Link or Gamestream. 

I have an Apple TV with steam on it as well as a steam link. It’s decent for slower paced games, but there’s too much latency when playing shooters and twitch games, esp MP. 

plus - my PC is in the basement and i would have to go down and turn it on/off everytime i want to play. I could never get WOL working properly. 

5 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

You lying son of a bitch you don't do that. You sit hunched over in a crappy office chair at a small monitor, you can't use a controller with your PC or anything wired so you're basically tethered to your computer with a mouse and keyboard!

16 minutes ago, atom631 said:

I have an Apple TV with steam on it as well as a steam link. It’s decent for slower paced games, but there’s too much latency when playing shooters and twitch games, esp MP. 

plus - my PC is in the basement and i would have to go down and turn it on/off everytime i want to play. I could never get WOL working properly. 

People turn off their PCs? :p 

On 1/16/2020 at 5:51 PM, sblfilms said:

With consoles I don’t ever have to monkey with settings, deal with a driver update creating a conflict with something else, or have some random windows update break everything and have to roll back to a previous state. Modern OSes are better, but still not as simple as what consoles offer in that regard.

Even as a primary console gamer this kind of thing hasn't been a problem on pcs for a while in my experience 

6 hours ago, Biggie said:

PC gamers almost always buy consoles and play their exclusives. Not the other way around. 🤷‍♀️

Consoles used to be where you had to go to play 70%+ of major releases.  Today it’s less than 10% of them.

So I’d actually say the PC’s reversed course at this point.  Like the consoles now, the biggest draw of its library used to be exclusive games like Starcraft, Unreal, Counter-Strike, etc.  Now it’s become the catch all platform with the broadest library.

What is ironically implied with ”console exclusive” now says everything about how much the PC market has boomed.