Coming exclusively to [insert console]* ___ *and PC

crispy4000

Coming exclusively to [insert console]* ___ *and PC  

40 members have voted

1. 1. If all Sony 'exclusives' get PC ports next-gen, will you play primarily on consoles?

• Yes, mostly on Series X.
    • Yes, mostly on PS5.
    • Maybe. It depends if Sony releases games on PC simultaneously
    • Maybe. It depends on what price the consoles sell for.
    • No. The PC will be my primary living room console.
    • I can still see myself playing mostly on Switch or its successor.
    • No clue at this point.

If I could play any game I want on any platform of my choosing then I would get the XBSeX.  I still prefer the console setup where I just sit down, hit a button, everything turns on and I’m ready to play. Plus I love my GameFly sub. 

Even if everything is Day 1 on PC, I rather own both consoles than manage a PC in my living room. 

My buddies all game on Xbox, and I almost exclusively play multiplayer games with my friends...so I don’t care. I’ve got a good PC for gaming if there is a solid single player game that I want the best version of.

7 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

There are still some reasons for wanting a console I can understand. 

But the rationale of “I just wanna turn on the box and start playing” died years ago. 

With consoles I don’t ever have to monkey with settings, deal with a driver update creating a conflict with something else, or have some random windows update break everything and have to roll back to a previous state. Modern OSes are better, but still not as simple as what consoles offer in that regard.

1 hour ago, SimpleG said:

I must be some super genius cause thats how my PC works. 

I would say mine does too, if not for the years old Nvidia driver/windows issue that likes to crash my games and sometimes lock up my entire PC. It really makes me wish AMD would release a card that is an upgrade from my 1080ti. Oh, also fiddling around with settings and the fact that HDR is still much less likely to be implemented on the PC version of a game.

That said, I do tend to get the PC version of games at the moment, but that may change with the new consoles.

2 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I find consoles to have many valid reasons for existing, but for me if a game is available on PC, then that is were I will play it.

I agree with consoles having reasons to exist.  But some of those reasons conflict directly with the state of consoles today.  The manufacturers are still charging annual fees for online multiplayer and, with every new gen, predictably jack controller prices up to the cost of a new game.  It's no wonder couch multiplayer is never prioritized.

I'd like to see change.  For one, I'm glad Microsoft is allowing older controllers to work.  But with cross-play likely to become the new norm, it's totally absurd for console gamers to get hit with an online multiplayer cover charge.

7 hours ago, sblfilms said:

With consoles I don’t ever have to monkey with settings, deal with a driver update creating a conflict with something else, or have some random windows update break everything and have to roll back to a previous state. Modern OSes are better, but still not as simple as what consoles offer in that regard.

consoles never have to be updated or have updates that break the console. It’s so easy!

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

consoles never have to be updated or have updates that break the console. It’s so easy!

1. Console updates aren’t as frequent, at least not on the Xbox. Don’t recall the PS4 update frequency. I have multiple windows and driver updates each month.

2. Console updates are holistic in nature, so the likelihood of something getting broken in the process is far lower.

But let’s pretend the obviously true thing isn’t true.

12 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I hate having to wait 45 minutes for my PS4 to update so I can play a game or log into PSN. Despite the fact that my internet is 300mbps and it’s through Ethernet. 

I do recall PS4 updates taking an unreasonably long amount of time.

I guess I don’t understand Windows updates being intrusive and interfering with normal usage. I use my PC every single day and shut it down at the end of the night. If there’s an update, it does does it when I tell it to shut down for the night and it’s good to go when I boot it up the next day. I’ve never gone to boot up a game and been like “damn, gotta wait for this update.”

PS4 updates seem to be frequent, but that could also be because I rarely use the system these days, so every time I turn it on, it’s been a few months or longer and it needs a damn update. :p 

10 hours ago, jaethos said:

I would say mine does too, if not for the years old Nvidia driver/windows issue that likes to crash my games and sometimes lock up my entire PC. It really makes me wish AMD would release a card that is an upgrade from my 1080ti. Oh, also fiddling around with settings and the fact that HDR is still much less likely to be implemented on the PC version of a game.

That said, I do tend to get the PC version of games at the moment, but that may change with the new consoles.

Update your drivers?

43 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I guess I don’t understand Windows updates being intrusive and interfering with normal usage. I use my PC every single day and shut it down at the end of the night. If there’s an update, it does does it when I tell it to shut down for the night and it’s good to go when I boot it up the next day. I’ve never gone to boot up a game and been like “damn, gotta wait for this update.”

There is nothing to understand because its not an issue. Updates run 1 of 2 ways manual or automatic and if either are to complicated for some people they are likely gonna struggle updating a console.

As someone who started this gen as almost exclusively a console gamer and is now primarily a PC gamer.

1)  Updates

• While PC updates can be frequent, they are largely invisible (except for the large semi-annual updates, which are ALMOST invisible). 
  • The Xbox updates are IMHO significantly more intrusive.  They need to be started manually, you CAN'T schedule them, when you "need" an update, it won't let you game, and my last Xbox update took somewhere between 15-30 minutes.  I've never been not able to game because my PC needed an update
  • Video driver updates are literally two button presses.
  • Most people have a PC anyways, you're doing these updates already
  • Updates don't break your PC very often (I've never had it happen)

3)  Settings

• You don't have to mess with settings on PC if you don't want to.  Let GeForce Experience do it, or pick one of the presets in the game
  • You CAN mess with settings on PC if you want to.  Consoles don't let you customize the settings to get a stable/high framerate.

2)  UI

• Managing multiple stores on PC can be more complicated
  • Installing/Uninstalling games on PC is right on the launcher, so much better than going into the settings on console

3) KB/Mouse

• Keyboard and mouse is SIGNIFICANTLY better for certain genres of gaming -- notably first person shooters and strategy war games

4) Cost

• Gaming PCs cost more than consoles for hardware purchases (particularly compared to consoles at launch) -- this is slightly mitigated in that many people would have a PC there anyways
  • Digital games on PC are cheaper than digital games on consoles
  • No subscription fees on PC

5) Performance

• If you have the right PC, games will look better and perform better on PC

To me, there really isn't a "right" choice.  I believe that PC gaming is better, and the extra effort is REALLY minimal.  However, I totally get why some people want consoles.