~~ PRESIDENTIAL HARASSMENT! || Millions of Impeaches, Impeaches for Me || House Impeachment Hearings OT ~~

10 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Why does a political trial have to be “fair” in the first place?

The trial "should" be geared toward doing what's best for the country. Not sure if you call that "fair" or not, but typically fairness is an important concept to combat individual biases, even if the individual does not realize they have them.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Brick said:

So there's no way at this point Trump is getting removed from office, is there? 

It's not impossible, would make for a great surprise, but it's highly unlikely unless some of the GOP break ranks, which clearly didn't happen here.

In any case, I imagine for anyone that isn't a hardcore Republican, this has done some extensive damage to how people view the GOP. I know since we're still trapped in the (hopefully only) 4 years of Trump's term, everyone just has this fatalistic view that that means he has support from all of America, but people really, really don't like to see what they would reasonably consider obvious injustice. This place likes to get real philosophical about how the Democrats should just copy the Republicans because that's "how to win politics," but I like to imagine that the citizens in this country not deeply entrenched into having to defend their politicians (something no American should ever do, you should always be as harsh as possible to your politicians because they're there to serve you, not the other way around, but we've forgotten that) have breaking points where they're just like "Okay, if after all the cries of witch hunt you have to vote to block evidence and witnesses, then you're fucking up to something" -- and I think the difference there for those people is that everything prior to this could be viewed as just more partisan bullshit, one side convinced the other is the devil, but in a trial like this things become a lot more immediately obvious, or they should be. Remember, regardless of the actual internal processes and legalities are that separate this from what most people consider a criminal trial, the average American will view it as essentially just that.

And if we don't have that breaking point, if people don't demand justice and use their votes to make a big change, then who fucking cares whether the Democrats play like the GOP does? It doesn't matter at that point because clearly no one gives a shit about the actual good of the nation. It won't matter who's in power if the American people aren't the ones demanding an end to the inane bullshit.

• Thanks 3

7 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

It's not impossible, would make for a great surprise, but it's highly unlikely unless some of the GOP break ranks, which clearly didn't happen here.

In any case, I imagine for anyone that isn't a hardcore Republican, this has done some extensive damage to how people view the GOP. I know since we're still trapped in the (hopefully only) 4 years of Trump's term, everyone just has this fatalistic view that that means he has support from all of America, but people really, really don't like to see what they would reasonably consider obvious injustice. This place likes to get real philosophical about how the Democrats should just copy the Republicans because that's "how to win politics," but I like to imagine that the citizens in this country not deeply entrenched into having to defend their politicians (something no American should ever do, you should always be as harsh as possible to your politicians because they're there to serve you, not the other way around, but we've forgotten that) have breaking points where they're just like "Okay, if after all the cries of witch hunt you have to vote to block evidence and witnesses, then you're fucking up to something" -- and I think the difference there for those people is that everything prior to this could be viewed as just more partisan bullshit, one side convinced the other is the devil, but in a trial like this things become a lot more immediately obvious, or they should be. Remember, regardless of the actual internal processes and legalities are that separate this from what most people consider a criminal trial, the average American will view it as essentially just that.

And if we don't have that breaking point, if people don't demand justice and use their votes to make a big change, then who fucking cares whether the Democrats play like the GOP does? It doesn't matter at that point because clearly no one gives a shit about the actual good of the nation. It won't matter who's in power if the American people aren't the ones demanding an end to the inane bullshit.

You have way too much faith in the average American.

11 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Oh, you sweet summer child. 

5 hours ago, Reputator said:

It's impossible. It always was. This was about taking his misdeeds and smearing them all over a billboard in broad view of the public.

Maybe Brick meant this means he won't be removed from office.....ever.

In all seriousness, if Trump does win a second term, I think there is a good chance if his health permits, that he will try for a third if his base sticks with him. Imagine the poor, sad Congressional Republicans lamenting the undemocratic contraints of Donald Trump serving a third term if it's what the people want. After all, FDR(a Democrat, by the way!) served 4 terms and the world didn't end, amirite?

1 minute ago, Chairslinger said:

Maybe Brick meant this means he won't be removed from office.....ever.

In all seriousness, if Trump does win a second term, I think there is a good chance if his health permits, that he will try for a third if his base sticks with him. Imagine the poor, sad Congressional Republicans lamenting the undemocratic contraints of Donald Trump serving a third term if it's what the people want. After all, FDR(a Democrat, by the way!) served 4 terms and the world didn't end, amirite?

The Congressional elections wouldn't go his way. He might be able to coerce foreign nations to interfere (hack, change results?) in the general election but the Congressional ones would be more difficult to control. Trump won't enjoy the complete freedom he has now, and I'm not sure there's any limits to how many times you can try a President for impeachment(?) There might be a chance for a do-over his second term, likely with a Democratic leaning House and Senate if not after the 2020 general, the 2022 midterms.

There are no limits on how many times a president can be impeached, and he certainly will be impeached again as soon as next year if re-elected. I also would anticipate a longer process in the House with no presidential election looming.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

There are no limits on how many times a president can be impeached, and he certainly will be impeached again as soon as next year if re-elected. I also would anticipate a longer process in the House with no presidential election looming.

That's an interesting thought.

The same Republicans who insisted there shouĺd be no impeachment at all also turned around and said they couldn't convict because they House didn't impeach hard enough :lol:

I would say that this sets up a potential Democratic House perfectly to impeach Trump again with a much longer and thorough investigation if Trump is re-elected and troll the Republicans with their own comments about how the Dems should have been more thorough.

I would say that.....but in a hypothetical world where we not only elected but re-elected Trump it's not like silly things like internal consistency or facts are important anymore

2 hours ago, Reputator said:

The Congressional elections wouldn't go his way. He might be able to coerce foreign nations to interfere (hack, change results?) in the general election but the Congressional ones would be more difficult to control. Trump won't enjoy the complete freedom he has now, and I'm not sure there's any limits to how many times you can try a President for impeachment(?) There might be a chance for a do-over his second term, likely with a Democratic leaning House and Senate if not after the 2020 general, the 2022 midterms.

Not happening.

23 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

Not happening.

The GOP will be favored to hold the senate in 2020, but it’s definitely toss up for 2022. I would give the Dems the slight edge. Obviously much can and will change between now and then.

16 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

The GOP will be favored to hold the senate in 2020, but it’s definitely toss up for 2022. I would give the Dems the slight edge. Obviously much can and will change between now and then.

What's going to happen is that after the GOP retakes the house in 2020, King Donald the First will declare democrats, CNN, and MSNBC, and all immigrants as enemies of the state and lock them up.