~~ PRESIDENTIAL HARASSMENT! || Millions of Impeaches, Impeaches for Me || House Impeachment Hearings OT ~~

Remember that far-right crazy Senator Hatch was the Senator before Romney. While I didn't expect him to vote as such, I thought getting someone like Romney, who's not an ideologue, into Utah was way better than many other Republicans who could take that position. Because if you're a Republican in that ruby red state, you aren't really in a position to have to compromise on anything or be a swing vote on anything.

I'm sure there are plenty of times he'll vote with the president, but if he's not running for reelection in 2024, maybe he'll actually take some courageous votes because he had nothing to lose voting to acquit.

3 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Remember that far-right crazy Senator Hatch was the Senator before Romney. While I didn't expect him to vote as such, I thought getting someone like Romney, who's not an ideologue, into Utah was way better than many other Republicans who could take that position. Because if you're a Republican in that ruby red state, you aren't really in a position to have to compromise on anything or be a swing vote on anything.

I'm sure there are plenty of times he'll vote with the president, but if he's not running for reelection in 2024, maybe he'll actually take some courageous votes because he had nothing to lose voting to acquit.

I'm sure plenty of Trump supporting Utahns are upset. But Romney is royalty in Utah and I don't think he'd face any serious competition for his seat.

After that show Romney put on I am genuinely curious as to why Murkowski didn't vote to convict.

As long as it was about keeping a party line vote I could see pressure from Mitch or a misguided view of party loyalty keeping her in line. But with Mitt on #TeamNotEvil I am not sure why she wants to jump on the other team for posterity.

Just now, Spork3245 said:

Are we thinking this wasn’t just some faux show of backbone from a Republican Senator who knew that their vote wouldn’t matter? :confused:

It's definitely that, but the right is triggered, so it's kind of great, too.

Just now, Spork3245 said:

Oh good, I was confused by people giving him props for having a change of heart after he 100% knew it would be meaningless.

This was standard Mitt.
Fuck that guy.

Doesn't seem like a change of heart. Or at least not a big one. He voted for witnesses. He spoke in favor of getting documents. Never hinted at acquittal.

1 minute ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Doesn't seem like a change of heart. Or at least not a big one. He voted for witnesses. He spoke in favor of getting documents. Never hinted at acquittal.

I’m not talking exclusively about the impeachment.

I doubt he would have voted for witnesses if he had a deciding vote.

5 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I’m not talking exclusively about the impeachment.

I doubt he would have voted for witnesses if he had a deciding vote.

Witnesses wouldn’t have mattered anyway, so I think he would have. This is all about establishing himself as the voice of reason and dignity in the party for the post Trump era. He’s doing it now so he doesn’t have to prove himself later, and the dopey media will carry that water for him. It’s a cynical play but probably also the smart one on his part.

1 minute ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Also, look, I'm all for shitting all over Mitt. Usually he's white bread and a glass of water and can't be counted on for anything except to vote in lock step and advocate for rich people. But I also want to give credit where it's due.

I’m not a fan of giving people credit for knowingly doing nothing and with their only actual intent being to hide this administration’s stink from themself.

:shrug:

I do enjoy that it’s pissed off GOPers on social media, but they already hated Romney so it’s slightly less funny.

5 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Witnesses wouldn’t have mattered anyway, so I think he would have. This is all about establishing himself as the voice of reason and dignity in the party for the post Trump era. He’s doing it now so he doesn’t have to prove himself later, and the dopey media will carry that water for him. It’s a cynical play but probably also the smart one on his part.

There will be no post Trump era. The Trumps are going to be controlling the GOP for the foreseeable future.

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

I’m not a fan of giving people credit for knowingly doing nothing and with their only actual intent being to hide this administration’s stink from themself.

:shrug:

I do enjoy that it’s pissed off GOPers on social media, but they already hated Romney so it’s slightly less funny.

I'm confused. What did he knowingly not do by voting for witnesses and impeachment? Why is distancing yourself from Trump in any amount not worthy of a tip of the hat?

Just now, GeneticBlueprint said:

I'm confused. What did he knowingly not do by voting for witnesses and impeachment? Why is distancing yourself from Trump in any amount not worthy of a tip of the hat?

The “knowingly not doing” is referencing that he knew his vote did not matter.

1 minute ago, Massdriver said:

There will be no post Trump era. The Trumps are going to be controlling the GOP for the foreseeable future.

What President has actually had such an effect after leaving office? The GOP only half heartedly paid lip service to Reagan when by the mid 90s had taken a much further right shift from him. Look at how hard it’s been for Trump to keep career GOP folks in his administration.

The shift when Trump boards the helicopter after the next POTUS is sworn in will happen. Romney is trying to muscle his way into a position to aim the direction.

Just now, sblfilms said:

What President has actually had such an effect after leaving office? The GOP only half heartedly paid lip service to Reagan when by the mid 90s had taken a much further right shift from him. Look at how hard it’s been for Trump to keep career GOP folks in his administration.

The shift when Trump boards the helicopter after the next POTUS is sworn in will happen. Romney is trying to muscle his way into a position to aim the direction.

I may be optimistic but I feel like the Republicans are using Trump for the judicial appointments and whatnot and will have no trouble dumping him and his brood in the trash once they're out of the White House.