~~ PRESIDENTIAL HARASSMENT! || Millions of Impeaches, Impeaches for Me || House Impeachment Hearings OT ~~

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

That was governor Romney, not senator Romney. Senator Romney has vowed to repeal the ACA. These two Romney’s look like the same person in photos, I know. :) 

It was Romney. He actually has a law under his belt that helped people on health care.

Would people have preferred he voted no?

1 minute ago, SaysWho? said:

It was Romney. He actually has a law under his belt that helped people on health care.

Would people have preferred he voted no?

I know he does. The ACA was based largely on Romney’s plan.

However, current modern day Romney wants the ACA repealed, just like Amash. That’s what I’m taking about.

1 hour ago, marioandsonic said:

Is there somehow a way I could get permabanned, and have my IP blocked from this site?

Because I can't just deal with this anymore.  Every single time I visit this place, I read a news article that just gets me more and more depressed and hopeless about the world and its various governments.  And this news may be the straw that broke the camel's back.

I knew Trump wasn't going to get kicked out, but I'm convinced now that he's going to get re-elected, the GOP will take back the House in 2020, RBG will die within the next 4 years, and we will all be completely and utterly fucked.

There are some hopeful people here. By the way, republicans are not taking the house back. Dems will keep control. So you can rest easy on that. 

21 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

It’s not a false equivalence, you just disagree.

“Republican does something against Trump, liberals suddenly love them.” The scope/magnitude of what’s “against Trump” between the two doesn’t make the equivalence false.

Seeing as how scope/magnitude seems to make all the difference in this argument, I'd say that equivalence in that regard is rather freakin important.

The line you draw in the sand: Senator changes party. +1 Respect from you.

The line most of us draw in the sand: Vote to convict your party's President, kill all respect you get from your party. +1 Respect from us.

The line you think we drew in the sand: "HERE'S A TOUGH QUESTION FOR YOU MR. TRUMP ABOUT MISOGYNY"

Romney hates Trump and what he’s done to the GOP. Romney and Paul Ryan (who left because he saw where his party was going and didn’t want to be a part of it) are both from the same part of the GOP that deemphasizes issues like the border to an extent and are more concerned with pushing the GOP agenda on entitlement reform, free trade, lower corporate rates, and their own healthcare reform. Most here disagree with them on all of this, but they are more similar to George W than Trump, and they hate Trump’s vulgar style. Romney strikes me as an honorable guy, even when I disagree. He is not loyal to Trump, he just happens to agree with Trump on a lot of policy issues, but he strongly believes in following the law and maintaining some sense of honor. 

Despicable and heartbreaking that Trump was acquitted. Fuck every Republican that voted not guilty. They block witnesses, even though if there are witnesses offering their testimony it wouldn't have changed the minds of these Republicans that voted party first rather than country first, and now we have to hope Trump loses the election (unless he does another stupid thing to get himself impeached again before November, but then it wouldn't matter again since the GOP would just protect him again). 

1 minute ago, Reputator said:

Seeing as how scope/magnitude seems to make all the difference in this argument, I'd say that equivalence in that regard is rather freakin important.

The line you draw in the sand: Senator changes party. +1 Respect from you.

The line most of us draw in the sand: Vote to convict your party's President, kill all respect you get from your party. +1 Respect from us.

The line you think we drew in the sand: "HERE'S A TOUGH QUESTION FOR YOU MR. TRUMP ABOUT MISOGYNY"

That’s not the line I draw in the sand, nor did I state it as such, nor did I state it was people here that suddenly loved Kelly. You’re really reaching to attack me for some reason and I have no clue as to why.
This isn’t the first time Romney broke from Trump/GOP when Romney knew his vote wouldn’t matter. It seems like every few months we give him “how brave” snark. He gets praise this time because it was on a grander scale? No. It’s typical Romney BS. He’ll be back in line by March. 

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

That’s not the line I draw in the sand, nor did I state it as such, nor did I state it was people here that suddenly loved Kelly. You’re really reaching to attack me for some reason and I have no clue as to why.
This isn’t the first time Romney broke from Trump/GOP when Romney knew his vote wouldn’t matter. It seems like every few months we give him “how brave” snark. He gets praise this time because it was on a grander scale? No. It’s typical Romney BS. He’ll be back in line by March. 

How is that reaching? You literally said on the previous page that you give Amash your respect for that literal exact reason. That same post you likened the praise Romney is getting for this to the praise Kelly got, implying the same standard was met.

You want to reframe your argument? Feel free, but don't deny what's literally right there in your post.

Can we at least tell the “moderate” republicans like colins to fuck off when ever they try to open their mouths to sell their bullshit? :)

I’m still debating if I need popcorn or Booz for the dumpster fire the US is going to be till elections. Trump keeps doing worse shit  when he gets away with things. Plus we still have Bolton and other trump enemies he is going to try to bury who won’t have anything to loose in leaking the rest of the dirt they have on him.

13 minutes ago, Reputator said:

How is that reaching? You literally said on the previous page that you give Amash your respect for that literal exact reason.

You said that’s where I “draw the line in the sand”. Erm, no, I gave an example via Amash. The “line in the sand” would be consistency and/or having actual risk in political actions while not simply immediately falling back in line. As I stated at least two other times now, if Romney doesn’t immediately fall back-in-line, I’ll give him kudos then, but as of now I see this only as typical Romney.

That same post you likened the praise Romney is getting for this to the praise Kelly got, implying the same standard was met.

Again, no, that was an analogy/example of “go against Trump get praise from the other side”, had nothing to do with any “standard” as you call it.

You want to reframe your argument? Feel free, but don't deny what's literally right there in your post.

Why bother when you make it whatever you’d like it to be and start your interaction with me with “shut the hell up” simply for not praising Romney?

3 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

You said that’s where I “draw the line in the sand”. Erm, no, I gave an example via Amash. The “line in the sand” would be consistency and/or having actual risk in political actions while not simply immediately falling back in line.

Again, no, that was an analogy of “go against Trump get praise from the other side”, had nothing to do with any “standard” as you call it.

Why bother when you make it whatever you’d like it to be and start your interaction with me with “shut the hell up”?

I didn't "make" anything. I can only take what you give me, I can't read your mind.

And the overabundance of people here who mistake cynicism for wisdom really DO need to shut the hell up.

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

For starters: Leave the party, risk his seat by doing so.

Isn’t that also for enders? That doesn’t seem to be significantly different than Romney voting to remove the President while being the senator from a solidly GOP state.

4 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

Romney's career is rife with him talking about doing the right thing, then usually doing the wrong thing. He occasionally does the right thing. Today he did the right thing. Good actions deserve praise, do they not?

No. You have to also vote consistently along party lines with the Democrats for 1.7869 years or until you've been politically assassinated out of a job.

23 minutes ago, Reputator said:

I didn't "make" anything. I can only take what you give me, I can't read your mind.

Except I stated these things pretty clearly throughout this thread.

And the overabundance of people here who mistake cynicism for wisdom really DO need to shut the hell up.

Holding Romney to his past actions/patterns isn’t exactly cynicism.

18 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Isn’t that also for enders? That doesn’t seem to be significantly different than Romney voting to remove the President while being the senator from a solidly GOP state.

It’s incredibly different. Romney isn’t risking his political career, Amash did. Romney isn’t leaving the party, and this action will be out of voters minds when it’s time for re-election.
I can’t be the only one shocked that trash bag is doing well as an independent, right? :p 

18 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

Romney's career is rife with him talking about doing the right thing, then usually doing the wrong thing. He occasionally does the right thing. Today he did the right thing. Good actions deserve praise, do they not?

Of course they do, but, it’s Romney, and given his record thus far (as you just pointed out), this particular action probably wasn’t done for “good”, it was more likely done for himself. If this was another Republican Senator I’d likely give (some) praise, but I’m not because it’s Romney. That’s what @Reputator seems to keep missing.

6 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

It’s incredibly different. Romney isn’t risking his political career, Amash did. Romney isn’t leaving the party, and this action will be out of voters minds when it’s time for re-election.

Amash has been the GOP member most critical of Trump since the guy first announced he was running for President, so much so that people in the White House were calling for a primary challenger for him in 2018. Amash hasn’t even been a power player in the GOP caucus despite being there for almost a decade. He didn’t chair a single committee.  

Why do you think Romney probably tested whether or not the vote would hurt him electorally, but seem to presume that Amash hasn’t done the same?

I guess I just don’t see their actions as being much different. They seem pretty analogous to me.

I'm willing to bet that Chuck told Joe and Doug to vote according to their own risk assessment of their internal data.

The fact that the result was never in any serious doubt which made most of the country tune it out might have helped "Red State Democrats" vote to convict with overall negligible consequences.

2 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

For whatever it's worth, Dems are in a good position in the House.

Think of it this way: you're among friends here. The news can be depressing for you anywhere, but at least you're with a fun group of people. I genuinely enjoy posting with everyone here, so the shitty nights (like Election 2016) are way more bearable with y'all. 

Well...it is better to be despairing with you guys than to be despairing alone, I guess...

1 hour ago, Massdriver said:

There are some hopeful people here. By the way, republicans are not taking the house back. Dems will keep control. So you can rest easy on that. 

After the 2016 election, forgive me for not believing any sort of election predictions anymore.

4 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

After the 2016 election, forgive me for not believing any sort of election predictions anymore.

Trump had like a 1 in 3 chance of winning. Those are strong odds in most scenarios. It wasn’t shocking based on probability.