~~ PRESIDENTIAL HARASSMENT! || Millions of Impeaches, Impeaches for Me || House Impeachment Hearings OT ~~

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

How many GOO senators are needed to call witnesses? 4? So we can expect 3 to vote for it and the media will call them courageous even though they will have worked it out behind the scenes.

4, if 3 then it's a tie and then maybe Roberts breaks it (one of those constitutional flaws). 

19 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Pence doesn't break ties in these votes?

At first I found it odd that Pence left the country when the Senate trial started. I assumed that as president of the Senate that he'd have some role in impeachment, but I guess not. I suppose it makes sense that you probably don't want the VP in charge of the trial. The VP is both politically tied to the President and the person who would ascend to the presidency in the event of a conviction, so maybe it's best he's not around.

2 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

At first I found it odd that Pence left the country when the Senate trial started. I assumed that as president of the Senate that he'd have some role in impeachment, but I guess not. I suppose it makes sense that you probably don't want the VP in charge of the trial. The VP is both politically tied to the President and the person who would ascend to the presidency in the event of a conviction, so maybe it's best he's not around.

Originally the VP was the runner-up in the presidential election. 

1 minute ago, Jason said:

Originally the VP was the runner-up in the presidential election. 

We should go back to that. 

Edit: I mean. Ultimately two parties decide who will be president, they already have a 50/50 chance of controlling the WH. Now they'll have a 100% chance of 50% control, which is basically the same!

7 minutes ago, 2user1cup said:

We should go back to that. 

Edit: I mean. Ultimately two parties decide who will be president, they already have a 50/50 chance of controlling the WH. Now they'll have a 100% chance of 50% control, which is basically the same!

That might make some sense if the VP had any constitutionally defined authority. As it stands the VP gets to do as much as the President wants to let them do. If Hillary was Trump's VP, she'd never do anything.

5 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

That might make some sense if the VP had any constitutionally defined authority. As it stands the VP gets to do as much as the President wants to let them do. If Hillary was Trump's VP, she'd never do anything.

Tiebreaker votes doe. 

• Shocked 1

2 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

I wonder how much this has boosted the pre-order numbers for "The Room Where It Happened: A White House Memoir"?*

*coming March 17 from Simon & Schuster

I've been listening to the soundtrack to Hamilton for the last month and now i can't get the "the room where it happened" song out of my head.

20 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

It’s clear as day.

And while Democratic candidates want to parade around with all their policy ideas, three points:

1. Presidents typically only accomplish 1 piece of signature legislation 

2. The next Democratic president will have to spend much of their time undoing the damage of Trump.

3. They may have to deal with a Republican House and Senate. And if Mitch McConnell remains majority leader, they aren’t getting anything done.

52 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

It’s clear as day.

And while Democratic candidates want to parade around with all their policy ideas, three points:

1. Presidents typically only accomplish 1 piece of signature legislation 

2. The next Democratic president will have to spend much of their time undoing the damage of Trump.

3. They may have to deal with a Republican House and Senate. And if Mitch McConnell remains majority leader, they aren’t getting anything done.

Agreed, but minus point #1, you can get more than one, just look at 09-11 Obama