~~ PRESIDENTIAL HARASSMENT! || Millions of Impeaches, Impeaches for Me || House Impeachment Hearings OT ~~

2 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

This isn't really a fair standard.

If a Democrat had voted to impeach Clinton because they felt he cleared the bar, and then Clinton amd the Dems moved a bill through to raise the minimum wage....would you expect that Democrat to vote against what he believes just because he thinks Clinton should have gotten removed?

but there is a difference between voting for something that is actually good versus when everything trump does is meant to hurt most people 

And I'm on Mitt's side here. I've always maintained that I don't like his politics but he seems to arrive at his opinions honestly and tries to be a good person. His biggest problems in politics were playing to the same base that powers trump. If he can lead the party to a new era that leaves that behind them I honestly don't care how cynical the move he made here is, I'm all for it. A Senate with Mitt as majority leader looks a lot different than anyone else in that chair.

Just now, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Never compromise your own values, but if someone who isn't the best wants to be on your side for one issues, they should be welcomed for that issue.

Right. Mitt is voting to remove trump. He's the one compromising. Nobody should be making it harder for him to do that.

Is there somehow a way I could get permabanned, and have my IP blocked from this site?

Because I can't just deal with this anymore.  Every single time I visit this place, I read a news article that just gets me more and more depressed and hopeless about the world and its various governments.  And this news may be the straw that broke the camel's back.

I knew Trump wasn't going to get kicked out, but I'm convinced now that he's going to get re-elected, the GOP will take back the House in 2020, RBG will die within the next 4 years, and we will all be completely and utterly fucked.

• Sad 2

23 minutes ago, Scott said:

The cynicism on this board is nauseating. Everyone must be run through a weird purity test, and damn them forever if they don't score 100%.

I'm not usually a Romney fan, but his speech on the Senate floor was one of the most honorable, inspiring things I've seen in a long, long time. Massive credit to him.

I could certainly be proven wrong, but I don't see a cunning politician angling for future higher office - I see a deeply religious man actually committed to upholding his oath of office and to serving the God he believes in. We should support this, not deride it.

Cynicism might be the defining feature of this board. If we were to lose that, what would we have left?

1 minute ago, marioandsonic said:

Is there somehow a way I could get permabanned, and have my IP blocked from this site?

Because I can't just deal with this anymore.  Every single time I visit this place, I read a news article that just gets me more and more depressed and hopeless about the world and its various governments.  And this news may be the straw that broke the camel's back.

I knew Trump wasn't going to get kicked out, but I'm convinced now that he's going to get re-elected, the GOP will take back the House in 2020, RBG will die within the next 4 years, and we will all be completely and utterly fucked.

• Sad 1

I really respect Romney for his vote. There is plenty to chastise him for, but, as he noted, he will suffer for this vote. As far as I can tell, the only reason he voted to convict was out of an actual sense of duty to uphold his oath, a rare thing well worth applauding.

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Are we thinking this wasn’t just some faux show of backbone from a Republican Senator who knew that their vote wouldn’t matter? :confused:

The reason people are commending him is because he had way less to lose simply voting no on everything. The pressure and reaction from the Senate, from donors, from Republican leadership, CPAC, everything, and drawing the president's ire and the seething anger from Trump's supporters, could have easily been avoided and he'd have faced no consequences.

He's not in a swing state and not up for reelection until 2024. He could easily have toed the line as Hatch would have. Collins is actually up for reelection, a 'yes' could have helped her moderate brand, and now she's backpedaling on things she's saying. Her vote wouldn't have made a different and yet it's still pathetic that she didn't vote correctly.

31 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

For whatever it's worth, Dems are in a good position in the House.

Think of it this way: you're among friends here. The news can be depressing for you anywhere, but at least you're with a fun group of people. I genuinely enjoy posting with everyone here, so the shitty nights (like Election 2016) are way more bearable with y'all. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

The reason people are commending him is because he had way less to lose simply voting no on everything. The pressure and reaction from the Senate, from donors, from Republican leadership, CPAC, everything, and drawing the president's ire and the seething anger from Trump's supporters, could have easily been avoided and he'd have faced no consequences.

He's not in a swing state and not up for reelection until 2024. He could easily have toed the line as Hatch would have. Collins is actually up for reelection, a 'yes' could have helped her moderate brand, and now she's backpedaling on things she's saying. Her vote wouldn't have made a different and yet it's still pathetic that she didn't vote correctly.

For whatever it's worth, Dems are in a good position in the House.

Think of it this way: you're among friends here. The news can be depressing for you anywhere, but at least you're with a fun group of people. I genuinely enjoy posting with everyone here, so the shitty nights (like Election 2016) are way more bearable with y'all. 

That’s exactly my point, though. He’s not up for re-election anytime soon, he knows his vote won’t matter, so he got to do “what’s right” without any actual consequences for doing so. This will long be out of the mind of both his voters and donors by 2024... if not by this time next year. If he keeps his spine installed and continues on this, he’ll certainly deserve real praise. This, IMO, is something for himself, only because he knew his vote wouldn’t change anything. Give it a few weeks and we’ll all be back to the “lol Romney is Reek” memes.

2 hours ago, Reputator said:

Seriously, shut the hell up.

No. 

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

That’s exactly my point, though. He’s not up for re-election anytime soon, he knows his vote won’t matter, so he got to do “what’s right” without any actual consequences for doing so. This will long be out of the mind of both his voters and donors by 2024... if not by this time next year. If he keeps his spine installed and continues on this, he’ll certainly deserve real praise. This, IMO, is something for himself, only because he knew his vote wouldn’t change anything. Give it a few weeks and we’ll all be back to the “lol Romney is Reek” memes.

@Scott was right it really is a purity test.

This is not going to wash off any time soon. Trump has everyone else's undying support. This has marked Romney probably for life. Also...

1 hour ago, Scott said:

Y'know what's weird? You don't have to agree with someone every single time. You don't have to support every single thing they do.

I'll cheer him when he does something I find agreeable, and chide him when he does something I find disagreeable.

If our response to someone from the other "team" having a backbone is to shit on them, we're going to silence them and prevent any future behavior of a similar kind.

1 minute ago, Reputator said:

@Scott was right it really is a purity test.

This is not going to wash off any time soon. Trump has everyone else's undying support. This has marked Romney probably for life. Also...

Lol, it’s not a purity test.

You know a GOP congressman that deserves actual praise? Justin Amash. Romney did nothing but stroke his own ego today. Meanwhile Amash had to leave his own party for doing the right thing and merely saying the Mueller Report horrified him. Romney deserves no kudos for today. If this leads to a trend from him, I will absolutely give respect.

I dislike and disagree with Amash, but he will forever have my respect. 

Fuck, this is just like when all the Democrats fell in love with Megyn Kelly because she argued with Trump.

25 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Looking back on it, when we collectively shit a brick it was hilarious and fun tbh.

14 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Lol, it’s not a purity test.

You know a GOP congressman that deserves actual praise? Justin Amash. Romney did nothing but stroke his own ego today. Meanwhile Amash had to leave his own party for doing the right thing and merely saying the Mueller Report horrified him. Romney deserves no kudos for today. If this leads to a trend from him, I will absolutely give respect.

I dislike and disagree with Amash, but he will forever have my respect. 

Fuck, this is just like when all the Democrats fell in love with Megyn Kelly because she argued with Trump.

Right, because voting to remove your own President is the same as getting into a tiff.

You've lost your mind.

15 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

What has Amash done besides call out Trump for being terrible, like Romney just did?

For starters: Leave the party, risk his seat by doing so.

4 minutes ago, Reputator said:

Right, because voting to remove your own President is the same as getting into a tiff.

You've lost your mind.

Having a memory is losing one’s mind now. Cool. Today was classic Mitt. You can disagree and find the fake deeper meaning if you really want.

1 minute ago, Reputator said:

Making ridiculous false equivalences is losing your mind.

It’s not a false equivalence, you just disagree.

“Republican does something against Trump, liberals suddenly love them.” The scope/magnitude of what’s “against Trump” between the two doesn’t make the equivalence false.

2 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

My friend in Massachusetts benefited from Romney's health care law when he had his daughter.

That was governor Romney, not senator Romney. Senator Romney has vowed to repeal the ACA. These two Romney’s look like the same person in photos, I know. :)