~~ PRESIDENTIAL HARASSMENT! || Millions of Impeaches, Impeaches for Me || House Impeachment Hearings OT ~~

6 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

What President has actually had such an effect after leaving office? The GOP only half heartedly paid lip service to Reagan when by the mid 90s had taken a much further right shift from him. Look at how hard it’s been for Trump to keep career GOP folks in his administration.

The shift when Trump boards the helicopter after the next POTUS is sworn in will happen. Romney is trying to muscle his way into a position to aim the direction.

I posted an article months ago where it talked about how lonely Trump’s post-presidential life is going to be. He won’t be holding rallies anymore.

15 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

What President has actually had such an effect after leaving office? The GOP only half heartedly paid lip service to Reagan when by the mid 90s had taken a much further right shift from him. Look at how hard it’s been for Trump to keep career GOP folks in his administration.

The shift when Trump boards the helicopter after the next POTUS is sworn in will happen. Romney is trying to muscle his way into a position to aim the direction.

It's different this time. The Trump family such as Don Jr. and Ivanka will hold sway for years to come, and they have some wealth to keep somewhat of a grip on it. At a minimum, the tribalism and populist right wing stuff related to the border and culture is going no where. Pence will only win giving reverence to the Donald. Trump has stamped that into the GOP for decades.

I hope I'm wrong.

4 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

It's different this time. The Trump family such as Don Jr. and Ivanka will hold sway for years to come, and they have some wealth to keep somewhat of a grip on it. At a minimum, the tribalism and populist right wing stuff related to the border and culture is going no where. Pence will only win giving reverence to the Donald. Trump has stamped that into the GOP for decades.

I hope I'm wrong.

His kids are only relevant because he is POTUS. His position allows them to enhance their grift. That all goes away the day he steps out of the White House.

Maybe one of them run for office? I have my doubts, but Americans do love political dynasties :p 

27 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I’m not a fan of giving people credit for knowingly doing nothing and with their only actual intent being to hide this administration’s stink from themself.

:shrug:

I do enjoy that it’s pissed off GOPers on social media, but they already hated Romney so it’s slightly less funny.

Seriously, shut the hell up. This wasn't a vote for healthier school lunches. No Senator has ever voted to convict a President in his own party. Impeachment has zero traction among the GOP, and barely (by what, 2%?) has majority support in America overall. This is an EXTREMELY unpopular move for him to make among his constituents, and it doesn't benefit him politically in the slightest. If he was everything you make him out to be, the most expedient thing he could have done for himself is furrow his brow some more and stay in lockstep with his party. Instead he just made himself a pyria.

I'm all for "Fuck the GOP!" but when a blind squirrel finds an acorn, you know what? Fuck it, bravo you stupid blind squirrel!

11 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

His kids are only relevant because he is POTUS. His position allows them to enhance their grift. That all goes away the day he steps out of the White House.

Maybe one of them run for office? I have my doubts, but Americans do love political dynasties :p 

I think Trump is truly different. I've heard people say "I'm not a Republican, I'm a Trumper". This is allegiance to a person, and eventually a family like America has never seen. 

3 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

I think Trump is truly different. I've heard people say "I'm not a Republican, I'm a Trumper". This is allegiance to a person, and eventually a family like America has never seen. 

He has developed a cult of personally. So while I think some Republicans are/were expecting just having a president out of him he will haunt the party longer. If he wins 2020 and the economy is doing well he could probably point to Ivanka/Don jr/anyone and have his base support them.

The cynicism on this board is nauseating. Everyone must be run through a weird purity test, and damn them forever if they don't score 100%.

I'm not usually a Romney fan, but his speech on the Senate floor was one of the most honorable, inspiring things I've seen in a long, long time. Massive credit to him.

I could certainly be proven wrong, but I don't see a cunning politician angling for future higher office - I see a deeply religious man actually committed to upholding his oath of office and to serving the God he believes in. We should support this, not deride it.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Scott said:

The cynicism on this board is nauseating. Everyone must be run through a weird purity test, and damn them forever if they don't score 100%.

I'm not usually a Romney fan, but his speech on the Senate floor was one of the most honorable, inspiring things I've seen in a long, long time. Massive credit to him.

I could certainly be proven wrong, but I don't see a cunning politician angling for future higher office - I see a deeply religious man actually committed to upholding his oath of office and to serving the God he believes in. We should support this, not deride it.

eh lets come back to this one when he keeps voting for all of the shitty things they want to keep doing

17 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

How many goddamned Kennedys have been undeservingly elected to public office?

Give me any Kennedy over any Trump any day.

I wasn't alive for JFK's presidency, but I don't hear the support for him and his family described as a cult of personality. Trump's is certainly that. We have ignorant people tuning in for their favorite reality tv show and cheering on their favorite sports team. It's way beyond, or below, politics.

1 minute ago, Firewithin said:

eh lets come back to this one when he keeps voting for all of the shitty things they want to keep doing

Y'know what's weird? You don't have to agree with someone every single time. You don't have to support every single thing they do.

I'll cheer him when he does something I find agreeable, and chide him when he does something I find disagreeable.

If our response to someone from the other "team" having a backbone is to shit on them, we're going to silence them and prevent any future behavior of a similar kind.

• Like 1

Just now, Firewithin said:

This isn't really a fair standard.

If a Democrat had voted to impeach Clinton because they felt he cleared the bar, and then Clinton amd the Dems moved a bill through to raise the minimum wage....would you expect that Democrat to vote against what he believes just because he thinks Clinton should have gotten removed?