The Official Thread of Systemic Racism

1 hour ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I'm not a lawyer so honest question: How could he face charges in Illinois for crimes he committed in Wisconsin? They don't appear to be Federal crimes.

The issue would be if the gun had been handled by him in violation of Illinois law while in Illinois. Apparently no evidence of this.

The idea that the police identified themselves to any meaningful degree is obviously ridiculous once you hear that 9/11 call by Walker. Guy had no idea who kicked his door in.

I saw this story but didn't dive too deep on it. From my limited understanding the bulk of the bad behavior referred to in the story, while absolutely horrific...  happened when this guy was like 13 years old. Should something you do when you are 13 ruin your whole life? I don't know. I mean, this guy is probably still a piece of shit, but at the same time, you have to have some hope that people can change.

Currently only 6.8% of active NHL players were picked in the 4th round... so his odds of making it to the big show were probably always pretty slim. 4th rounders typically do not turn into impactful players... (rarely they can, but it is not common... at all)

There's a lot of shitty hockey players. Extremely wealthy, type-A, ultra-competitive parents = shitty kids. The higher up you go in the food chain the more likely you are to end up with these kind of people.

We've had to deal with racism too. Mostly toward asian kids on our teams. Some truly awful stuff. Bleh.

3 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

He was taken 111th? Yeah, he's done. I'd assume anyone taken in the top half of the draft will likely just get picked up again by someone else.

Thats 4th round. Its actually not that low. Many 3rd or 4th rounders become stars in many sports. Hell,  Tom Brady was drafted in the 6th round. 

fuck this guy though. 

It's very rare for players picked past the 2nd or 3rd round to become impactful NHL players. There are a few outliers, sure, but it is not common.

Most 4th rounders who make it to the NHL end up as 4th line grinders or interchangeable depth players.

The vast majority of NHL players were picked in the first 2 rounds. (41% of NHLers were 1st round picks, 17% second rounders)

I think some sports are just easier to project a young players future ability. Hockey and basketball... and some sports are harder... like football and baseball.