The Official Thread of Systemic Racism

5 hours ago, sblfilms said:

The police report from the Jacob Blake shooting says that the woman who called 911 alleges that Blake sexually assaulted her by digital penetration prior to the arrival of the police. Once again, we can oppose racist policing without pretending this guy was a great person. Him being a good or bad guy is not relevant to whether police ought to be shooting people. 

Why you gotta call out lucian like that?

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

White House directs OMB to cancel any any federal contracts providing race related and diversity training, calling them “un-American propaganda.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/09/04/white-house-racial-sensitivity-training/?hpid=hp_hp-banner-main_whracetraining-915pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory-ans

I'm in full agreement that anything involving "racial sensitivity" is VERY much "un-American".

52 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Another hot take: folks are innocent until proven guilty in this country. 

By the government, not by the court of public opinion which is what my post is about.

3 hours ago, osxmatt said:

White House directs OMB to cancel any any federal contracts providing race related and diversity training, calling them “un-American propaganda.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/09/04/white-house-racial-sensitivity-training/?hpid=hp_hp-banner-main_whracetraining-915pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory-ans

spacer.png

25 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

I mean the president is one of these people.

By his nieces account, he is DEFINITELY one of those people. I saw in an interview where she talked about how her grandfather flipped out when the first Italian family moved into their Queens neighborhood. Hilarious that a lot of Italians and Irish in particular now embrace the same racist attitudes they were once victims of.

I felt like this belongs in both threads...way to read the room on ramping up reasons for goon squads who've openly endorsed Trump to interact with restaurants, many of which in NYC will be minority-owned.

26 minutes ago, Jason said:

Cuomo’s Scheme to Put 4,000 Cops in NYC Restaurants Would Be a Disaster

Nothing says health and safety like heavily armed city employees notorious for not wearing masks.

The city’s outdoor-dining program is slated to end October 31. Why not throw some of the police budget toward subsidized heat lamps to keep diners and workers in the open air as long as possible — maybe even all winter long? If New York dining ever does move back inside, the city needs to do everything it can to shut the cops out.

23 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

By his nieces account, he is DEFINITELY one of those people. I saw in an interview where she talked about how her grandfather flipped out when the first Italian family moved into their Queens neighborhood. Hilarious that a lot of Italians and Irish in particular now embrace the same racist attitudes they were once victims of.

It really is interesting how the last 120 years in the US have seen several ethnicities go from not-white to white, and gaining all the privileges afforded to whites here.

33 minutes ago, Jason said:

I felt like this belongs in both threads...way to read the room on ramping up reasons for goon squads who've openly endorsed Trump to interact with restaurants, many of which in NYC will be minority-owned.

If he actually goes through with it, I would have a huge with it, definitely. I think this is just his way of making sure indoor dining doesn't happen, though.

1 hour ago, Anathema- said:

It's happening to Hispanics before our eyes. 

Looking forward, since there really aren't many Latino politicians on the right around here, to seeing Latino republicans tell their family story, about how their family came here the right way--the legal way-- and it turns out their family was either undocumented or was granted citizenship during the Regan administration

43 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Looking forward, since there really aren't many Latino politicians on the right around here, to seeing Latino republicans tell their family story, about how their family came here the right way--the legal way-- and it turns out their family was either undocumented or was granted citizenship during the Regan administration

There's plenty of conservative latinos who hate latino immigrants, it's disgusting. 

12 minutes ago, SlipperySlope said:

There's plenty of conservative latinos who hate latino immigrants, it's disgusting. 

There are so many of them from Puerto Rico. Many of the boomer generation don't really understand how they're treated as second class citizens while also not understanding how nice and easy it is for them and their families to move to the mainland compared to the rest of Latin America.

12 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

There are so many of them from Puerto Rico. Many of the boomer generation don't really understand how they're treated as second class citizens while also not understanding how nice and easy it is for them and their families to move to the mainland compared to the rest of Latin America.

The Mexican ones I've met are just self-hating Mexicans. 

55 minutes ago, SlipperySlope said:

In the Cuban Republican facebook group I was in, many Cubans in there would get angry if you called them Latino. They consider themselves Cuban American only and not Latino.

Just now, Joe said:

Is it though? Interesting, definitely something to investigate further. My wife's family in Mexico definitely considers themselves to be Latino.

Ya it's not an American thing. Americans just group us all together as a monolith group though.

54 minutes ago, Joe said:

Is it though? Interesting, definitely something to investigate further. My wife's family in Mexico definitely considers themselves to be Latino.

52 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

Ya it's not an American thing. Americans just group us all together as a monolith group though.

Yeah. I guess I should elaborate, in America, when white people use Latino it seems to mean something else than when Latin Americans in Latin America say Latino. 

Just now, Spork3245 said:

LatinX

CHECK YOUR PRIVILEGE, VATO

:D 

That is 100% American for sure. I get it's trying to be gender inclusive, but it also allows Americans to see all Latin Americans as one big group of "them." Meanwhile you're supposed to care about the differences between Switzerland and Denmark or you're dumb and uncultured.

38 minutes ago, SlipperySlope said:

That is 100% American for sure. I get it's trying to be gender inclusive, but it also allows Americans to see all Latin Americans as one big group of "them." Meanwhile you're supposed to care about the differences between Switzerland and Denmark or you're dumb and uncultured.

They are all a bunch of goat milk drinking yodelers.

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

Doesn't it describe people on the American continents of Latin descent? 

It -does- but I think Americans use it to be lazy. I guess it's weird because I'm "Latino" but I would never describe myself as "a Latino." When someone refers to me as a Latino I pause and then go "oh right that's what they call us."