The Official Thread of Systemic Racism

3 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Risk/reward over time for auditing a poor person vs a rich person is vastly in favor of auditing the poor.

Enforcement of the wealthy is down at the IRS as the IRS budget has been steadily cut since roughly 2014

Auditing poor people is largely automated. Most of the time you're just catching them fucking up something on a form, since for this people it's basically just comparing what they filled out against the information the IRS already has anyhow (and which the IRS could use to automate most people's taxes if TurboTax didn't lobby against that). You don't need actual accountants or tax lawyers to sit down and figure out whether what they did is kosher. 

Now do Eric Garner.

13WHAM.COM

ALBANY, N. Y. (WHAM) — One day after a grand jury’s ruling in the death of Breonna Taylor in Kentucky, Gov. Andrew Cuomo says he understands the frustration. One of three officers connected to Taylor’s death was indicted, however those charges were related to shots allegedly fired at a home next to Taylor’s.

8 minutes ago, Jason said:

Now do Eric Garner.

13WHAM.COM

ALBANY, N. Y. (WHAM) — One day after a grand jury’s ruling in the death of Breonna Taylor in Kentucky, Gov. Andrew Cuomo says he understands the frustration. One of three officers connected to Taylor’s death was indicted, however those charges were related to shots allegedly...

"That was racism over there in racist Kentucky! Eric who? No comment"

7 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

The Portland Police department are white supremacists. There's no other explanation. 

It seems like that has to be why the Proud Boy riot shit started in Portland a couple of years back, right? Knowing they had friendly cops there? 

8 hours ago, Chairslinger said:

There's definitely a joke in there somewhere about how, ironically, a grand jury can indict a ham sandwich but it can't indict a cop.

It's the DA in that phrasing that gets an indictment for a ham sandwich. 

Someone on MSNBC was actually arguing to abolish the grand jury practice, I thought that was interesting. 

3 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

"I'm not a racist, or a bigot, but yeah I have a little big a stigma against people who are, you know, nomads."

"I'm not racist but I don't want [every euphemism for minorities] in my neighborhood."

You can tell how much of a privileged ignoramous she is by how she thinks her wanting a yacht and not being able to afford it is equivalent to a single mother wanting her kids to grow up in a normal neighborhood.

There is a suburb right next to where I live that still in 2020 only has like 3% black population and these folks do everything they can to keep blacks feeling unwelcome. Over 75% of the population is straight up non-Hispanic whites. Naturally, the only type of minorities they allow are wealthy Asians.

I guess I don’t know enough about the housing stuff and what all it entails. I think that woman is a tone deaf cunt for what she said. 

But isn’t it a legitimate concern if I move into a nice neighborhood, pay $250k for my house, then a lot of low income apartments get built and my home value decreases by $50k. I mean, for middle class people, we aren’t rich. That’s a big deal. 

I guess I need to research this stuff more. See what systemic problems there are and what could be done to decide them. 

I was also just thrilled to get into a quiet neighborhood because the apartments we lived in before were awful. People were loud as fuck and obnoxious. 

1 hour ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I guess I don’t know enough about the housing stuff and what all it entails. I think that woman is a tone deaf cunt for what she said. 

But isn’t it a legitimate concern if I move into a nice neighborhood, pay $250k for my house, then a lot of low income apartments get built and my home value decreases by $50k. I mean, for middle class people, we aren’t rich. That’s a big deal. 

I guess I need to research this stuff more. See what systemic problems there are and what could be done to decide them. 

I was also just thrilled to get into a quiet neighborhood because the apartments we lived in before were awful. People were loud as fuck and obnoxious. 

The issue is that low income housing doesn’t itself depress housing values, black neighbors do simply on the basis of being black because wealthier and whiter people don’t want to live by poorer and black people. Black folks are viewed as a nuisance, like a landfill or an airport.

6 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

The issue is that low income housing doesn’t itself depress housing values, black neighbors do simply on the basis of being black because wealthier and whiter people don’t want to live by poorer and black people. Black folks are viewed as a nuisance, like a landfill or an airport.

That doesn’t exactly answer my question. 

I already knew this. 

2 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Here's a study I like because it's from Richmond so many of these places are familiar to me

The home prices and assessments of nearby single-family homes were not adversely impacted by the presence of mixed income/mixed use developments. In fact, in many cases, the developments had a positive impact on those single-family neighborhoods.

Home prices dropping by 20% is probably an indicator of something big happening in the local or national economy, not likely due to nearby apartment construction. Longer term regional construction, however, might cause that. 

• Thanks 1