The Official Thread of Systemic Racism

3 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

What a horrible new name. No one knows who the company actually is (it would be like if Coke was made by the Scheinhardt Wig Company, and changed it to Scheinhardt Caramel Cola). Could have changed it to Aunt Pearl or something and made the mascot not racist. Hell, even Pearl Mill Pancake Syrup is better.

It doesn't really matter as long as it's sitting with the other syrups imo. In isolation it's a WTF name but if it's sitting next to "Rocky Ridge" maple syrup it should be fine. The biggest issue is the word "syrup" is so small on the packaging. :p

• 4 weeks later...

I've never understood the justification for not allowing felons to vote (obviously I know it's because a disproportionate number are POC). When you have finished your sentence, finished your probation, and paid your court fines, in the eyes of the law you have LITERALLY paid your debt to society. I thought that was supposed to be the point.

I understand things like not allowing people who have been convicted of certain crimes to not be allowed to possess a gun forever, or getting so many DUIs that your drivers license is revoked, but just blanketly not allowing ex-felons to vote once they've cleared all of their legal obligations is unjustifiable in my opinion.

As of right now, in DC, Maine, and Vermont, you can actually still vote WHILE you're incarcerated. That seems a little crazy to me, but whatever. In most states, you automatically get your voting rights restored either after your incarceration or after you've completed your probation period, paid restitution and all that jazz. These are the states that make felons jump through hoops to get their rights restored (if they even can):

- Alabama: it's really vague on how felons can get their rights restored, probably on purpose

- Arizona: First time felons get their rights restored upon completion of their sentence and payment of court fines/restitution, second offenses are left vague and ultimately up to the courts

- Delaware: Murder, bribery, and sexual offenders have their rights permanently taken away

- Florida: There is nothing other than you have to have completed the sentence/probation/court fines trio, but you do have to apply, it doesn't happen automatically

- Iowa: It's up to the governor, essentially

- Kentucky: Also pretty much up to the governor

- Mississippi: "murder, rape, bribery, theft, arson, obtaining money or goods under false pretense, perjury, forgery, embezzlement or bigamy," your rights are gone unless restored by executive order.

- Nebraska: You have to wait two years after completion of probation, then apply

- Tennessee: You lose your rights if you committed and "infamous crime," which is not defined.

- Virginia: They actually passed a law that would automatically restore voting rights to those who have completed probation, then the court reversed that law. Now it's up to the governor again.

- Wyoming: Nonviolent offenders get their rights restored automatically, violent offenders lose them forever unless they're pardoned

You'll see a common thread in these states. It's most of the southern states (Wyoming is kind of the outlier). Mostly states that have historically had every reason to keep black people from voting. The fact that South Carolina isn't on that list is shocking (you get your rights automatically restored after completion of probation)

Having your voting rights restored after sentence/probation/fines/restitution/etc should be the standard in my opinion, but if you want to take it farther than that, I won't complain.

4 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Criminals, and maybe even more acutely for those currently in prison, still need representation. Barring them from voting is unequivocally wrong

I would argue for simply a better prisoner representation system rather than just letting them vote in general elections. No one cares about prisoners, and just letting the tiny percent of the incarcerated population of a state vote isn't going to move the needle on anything.

Then again, Maine allows prisoners to vote, and they're the first state (as far as I know) that abolished solitary confinement as a punishment. I doubt that's directly from inmates being able to vote, though.

3 hours ago, Joe said:

What needle are we trying to move by letting them vote? Letting them vote is the correct thing to do because it's the humane thing to do.

I'm not necessarily arguing against it. I'm saying most of the voting base has 'punishment boner' tattooed on their foreheads. Think of the times you've heard people say something like 'i hope he gets raped in prison' or something to that effect. Those people will far outnumber the number of inmates who vote. I guess I'm saying people will say "oh inmates can vote now, prison reform is done, if there are changes that need to be made, they'll vote for it."

I think there needs to be a separate entity and representation system for prison reform. Simply letting inmates vote doesn't cut it, and I don't think it does that much positive change.

But, to be honest, I do at some level think people serving time shouldn't vote in general affairs. That's not a hill I'll die on or anything, and I obviously said there should be some representation system which currently doesn't exist, but giving inmates the right to vote doesn't solve any problems. I'm fully for making voting rights restored as soon as someone leaves those gates. 

18 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Letting prisoners vote wouldn't be such a big deal if we didn't have so many fucking people locked up

But we have to put people in prison over petty drug convictions, don't ya know. Also cash bail to go baby!

Letting prisoners (and ex-convicts) vote is, um, obvious. It's ridiculous they can't. In fact, they actually have a lot to presumably think and say on society.

“The degree of civilization in a society can be judged by entering its prisons.” - Fyodor Dostoevsky

3 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

But we have to put people in prison over petty drug convictions, don't ya know. Also cash bail to go baby!

Letting prisoners (and ex-convicts) vote is, um, obvious. It's ridiculous they can't. In fact, they actually have a lot to presumably think and say on society.

“The degree of civilization in a society can be judged by entering its prisons.” - Fyodor Dostoevsky

Yeah. One of the things in proud of my state for is decriminalization of simple possession. Addiction shouldn't be met with prison. 

As for actively incarcerated people, there are 2 issues that I can think of: 1) on a large scale, I don't think it helps prison reform (people will think "cool, prisoners can vote now, job done"), and 2) most prisons are, by design, built in the middle of nowhere, where it's entirely possible that the population of prisoners is higher than that of the local town. And yes, before you say it, you can obviously draw parallels to slavery there. The difference is there is no slave master except our policies. Which, circling back, just simply letting inmates vote won't change.

Just my opinion. Again, not a hill I'm willing to die on. I'm definitely not against giving inmates the right to vote. My stance is more about the fact that I don't think it changes anything. It would just make people feel better.

23 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

As for actively incarcerated people, there are 2 issues that I can think of: 1) on a large scale, I don't think it helps prison reform (people will think "cool, prisoners can vote now, job done"), and 2) most prisons are, by design, built in the middle of nowhere, where it's entirely possible that the population of prisoners is higher than that of the local town. And yes, before you say it, you can obviously draw parallels to slavery there. The difference is there is no slave master except our policies. Which, circling back, just simply letting inmates vote won't change.

Just my opinion. Again, not a hill I'm willing to die on. I'm definitely not against giving inmates the right to vote. My stance is more about the fact that I don't think it changes anything. It would just make people feel better.

I understand what you're saying for sure. The thing is, as to point (1), letting them vote would, I think, boost prison reform. The more rights given to prisoners, the more they are motivated to re-join society. Being able to vote wouldn't curb one's desire to want to leave prison in the least (prison will always suck). As to point (2), make them vote where their last residence was, if we're worried about overturning local populaces' will. There's enough people in prisons that their ability to vote could change elections in certain states. For instance, Florida recently allowed ex-cons to vote, and it was enough people to scare the GOP to try and suppress their ability to vote in 2020, despite the passage of their ability to vote being a referendum by the people of the state. 

Like putting Biden's name on the checks, it only empowers and helps, rather than hurts. I'd be curious who you think would be actively hurt by the policy, since we know it would actively help the prisoners (many of whom are political prisoners in certain instances). But yeah, I'm with you on petty drug convictions, lame. Much to fix in the prison system regardless of voting either way for sure. :)

23 minutes ago, Jason said:

@sblfilms does your Type 1 make you prone to uncontrollable fits of mouth diarrhea like this?

3 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

He confused diabetes with Tourette syndrome

He should have said he was in one of those Snickers commercials.

Matt, have a Snickers.

Why, you #$^ faced #&$ fucker?

You get a little little racist when you're hungry.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Jason said:

@sblfilms does your Type 1 make you prone to uncontrollable fits of mouth diarrhea like this?

I have weirder issues on lows than highs. Highs just trigger migraines for me, lows...I’ve seen some shit.

My number one example of this is a few years ago I was at Disney World with the family and some friends. It was a Magic Kingdom day and my wife and daughter stayed at the resort and were planning to meet us for lunch. The park wasn’t busy at all so we went all over the place and rode a ton of stuff. I noticed some early signs of my blood sugar dropping but didn’t pay to much mins to it since we were going to eat lunch in about 30 minutes.

And then all of the sudden I start to feel really bad. I went to the restroom to pee and began to get sweaty and hot.

So low blood sugar brain starts telling myself “Hey man, just take all your clothes off”

I START TO UNDRESS IN THE TOILET STALL LIKE I AM GONNA WALTZ AROUND DISNEY NAKED

Fortunately my wife happened to call in the middle of disrobing to ask where I was and was like DO NOT take off your clothes. I narrowly avoided at minimum being banned for life from Disney properties, and maybe being added to the Florida sex crimes registry

Ummmm, so I guess the beetus can cause some weird behavior 😂

6 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I have weirder issues on lows than highs. Highs just trigger migraines for me, lows...I’ve seen some shit.

My number one example of this is a few years ago I was at Disney World with the family and some friends. It was a Magic Kingdom day and my wife and daughter stayed at the resort and were planning to meet us for lunch. The park wasn’t busy at all so we went all over the place and rode a ton of stuff. I noticed some early signs of my blood sugar dropping but didn’t pay to much mins to it since we were going to eat lunch in about 30 minutes.

And then all of the sudden I start to feel really bad. I went to the restroom to pee and began to get sweaty and hot.

So low blood sugar brain starts telling myself “Hey man, just take all your clothes off”

I START TO UNDRESS IN THE TOILET STALL LIKE I AM GONNA WALTZ AROUND DISNEY NAKED

Fortunately my wife happened to call in the middle of disrobing to ask where I was and was like DO NOT take off your clothes. I narrowly avoided at minimum being banned for life from Disney properties, and maybe being added to the Florida sex crimes registry

Ummmm, so I guess the beetus can cause some weird behavior 😂

Yeah I had a co-worker with Type 1 and when he dropped too low was when he would seem drunk.  It was like negotiating with a toddler to go up to the break room and eat something.  He would get this big goofy grin on his face and sit down on the floor refusing to move.