Update: Mueller to testify before House Judiciary and Intelligence Committees on July 24

15 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

I don't think their "independence" is substantial enough.  Some are appointed by the President and confirmed by the Senate and can therefore be terminated by the President.  Other IGs are designated by their Agency chiefs and can be terminated by that Agency head.

This role should belong jointly to Congress and the Judiciary with zero involvement by the Executive.

So let's say we do this right now. Do you think this SCOTUS would pick a fair IG?

17 minutes ago, Jason said:

So let's say we do this right now. Do you think this SCOTUS would pick a fair IG?

I would favor a staggered term committee, you're otherwise more likely to have a Ken Starr than a Robert Mueller. 9 members,  staggered 10 years terms each, selected by the Gang of Eight (Judiciary Committees leadership instead of Intelligence Committees) and confirmed by the SCOTUS. Failure to fill a seat within 30 days will result in a total shut down of the Executive Branch. 

6 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

I would favor a staggered term committee, you're otherwise more likely to have a Ken Starr than a Robert Mueller. 9 members,  staggered 10 years terms each, selected by the Gang of Eight (Judiciary Committees leadership instead of Intelligence Committees) and confirmed by the SCOTUS. Failure to fill a seat within 30 days will result in a total shut down of the Executive Branch. 

Sounds to me like the GOP would just intentionally sabotage the process any time a Democrat was president, then. 

3 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

In addition, there should also be an executive and legislative IG, and an executive and judicial IG. Perfectly balanced, as all things should be. 

Correct - the IG responsible for investigating a particular branch should be jointly controlled by the other two branches.

2 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

Correct - the IG responsible for investigating a particular branch should be jointly controlled by the other two branches.

This I agree with. I don't think it should be possible for any two branches to be able to shut down the third branch by via an intentional bad-faith failure to staff an IG office, though.

5 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I'll admit that I've checked out of all of this because this whole debacle has really shown me what an absolute JOKE our government and political process is, but are people really surprised that Bill Barr did what he did with the Mueller report given everything we knew about him before he got the job? He's doing exactly what he was hired to do.

Thing is that enough people are required to feign surprise because they're so heavily committed to overlooking the tremendously deep and obvious bad faith of conservatives. "Both sides" is a curse that has afflicted the chattering class for decades and the bad faith warriors have obviously turned it into a weapon. Now the both siders are stuck because their whole thing was appearing aloof and wise; admitting that they continually reward the bad faith of only one political party would be too much for their perceived reputation to bear so they keep pretending everything is normal instead of what it very obviously is.

2 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

So he wants to use executive privilege to force the Mueller report to be viewed in full?  The same one that he's been screaming about being a witch hunt for years?

...what?

It's from a year ago today.