Update: Mueller to testify before House Judiciary and Intelligence Committees on July 24

57 minutes ago, Amazatron said:

One month later when nobody cares anymore...

Where the hell was Mueller's rage tweet?!

Actually latest is he did this back when barr issued his summary.

The current thinking as to why we are hearing about this today is because ...

12 hours ago, Amazatron said:

One month later when nobody cares anymore...

Where the hell was Mueller's rage tweet?!

Oh, people still care. It's still in the news, and I mean outside of cable. They're working on infrastructure, but how will negotiations go with the cloud of the Mueller probe hanging over everything? Congress continues to question people related to the probe. It's been a drip-drip-drip story for a while and I don't see it not being one for a while. It's like Hillary's emails: Republicans accused the media of bias for the timing of the story since it was early in 2015 so now it's allegedly been gotten out of the way. It never left the public conscience and was never as baked into people's voting decision as many people thought. 

CBS confirms: Barr denied knowing Mueller's stance on report summary two weeks after Mueller confronted him

Barr previously told lawmakers he didn't know if Mueller supported his conclusion on obstruction. CBS News has confirmed that not only did Mueller send Barr a letter complaining about the way Barr described the special counsel's findings, but the two men also spoke on the phone. During that conversation, Mueller asked for additional information to be released, but the attorney general only promised to release the full report as soon as possible, reports CBS News correspondent Paula Reid. 

Almost two weeks after his call with Mueller, Barr denied knowing where Mueller stood on his characterization of the investigation's findings.

"Did Bob Mueller support your conclusion?" Sen. Chris Van Hollen of Maryland asked on April 10 before a congressional committee.

"I don't know whether Bob Mueller supported my conclusion," Barr responded.

Just in time for the hearing!

• Guillotine 1

5 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

"I do not recall appearing before Congress, or saying the things that are alleged. I also do not recall ever reading that letter sent to my department."

But in all seriousness, is this not a crime to perjure yourself to Congress under oath?

not when the real criminal Hillary is still on the loose 

6 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

"I do not recall appearing before Congress, or saying the things that are alleged. I also do not recall ever reading that letter sent to my department."

But in all seriousness, is this not a crime to perjure yourself to Congress under oath?

Can't obstruct if you didn't commit a crime! :silly:

I'll admit that I've checked out of all of this because this whole debacle has really shown me what an absolute JOKE our government and political process is, but are people really surprised that Bill Barr did what he did with the Mueller report given everything we knew about him before he got the job? He's doing exactly what he was hired to do.

49 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I'll admit that I've checked out of all of this because this whole debacle has really shown me what an absolute JOKE our government and political process is, but are people really surprised that Bill Barr did what he did with the Mueller report given everything we knew about him before he got the job? He's doing exactly what he was hired to do.

We seriously need an Inspector General of the United States. 

5 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

We seriously need an Inspector General of the United States. 

In the world's worst way.

If the goddamned Department of Justice -- the agency tasked with investigating the Executive Branch will be part of that very same Executive Branch -- then a truly independent outside entity with full investigatory and prosecutorial authority needs to exist.

At least this has exposed that having a government that largely operates on unwritten "norms" rather than actual laws is the most asinine shit ever.

11 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

In the world's worst way.

If the goddamned Department of Justice -- the agency tasked with investigating the Executive Branch will be part of that very same Executive Branch -- then a truly independent outside entity with full investigatory and prosecutorial authority needs to exist.

At least this has exposed that having a government that largely operates on unwritten "norms" rather than actual laws is the most asinine shit ever.

How does it work with the current Department level IGs in terms of independence? Maybe the Inspector General of the United States could just be a committee of Department level IGs.

6 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

How does it work with the current Department level IGs in terms of independence? Maybe the Inspector General of the United States could just be a committee of Department level IGs.

I don't think their "independence" is substantial enough.  Some are appointed by the President and confirmed by the Senate and can therefore be terminated by the President.  Other IGs are designated by their Agency chiefs and can be terminated by that Agency head.

This role should belong jointly to Congress and the Judiciary with zero involvement by the Executive.

5 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

I don't think their "independence" is substantial enough.  Some are appointed by the President and confirmed by the Senate and can therefore be terminated by the President.  Other IGs are designated by their Agency chiefs and can be terminated by that Agency head.

This role should belong jointly to Congress and the Judiciary with zero involvement by the Executive.

In addition, there should also be an executive and legislative IG, and an executive and judicial IG. Perfectly balanced, as all things should be.