~~ CEB Community Thread ~~

I don't post nearly as much as a lot of people on this board and post less than I did years ago. I'm honestly not a chatty person in general, whether that's on social media or in real life. But I do read and follow along daily, and it would certainly be a very dark day if these boards were no longer around. Whether in this form, or the previous name they went under (I can't even remember, Bad Cartridge? Am I making that name up?), or all the way back to the IGN boards it's certainly been a fabulously stabilizing force in my life and happy that its always been there.

• Like 3

I visit like four websites with any frequency. A music blog I follow, my gmail, a news site, and D1P. D1P gets 90% of my internet bandwidth I’m pretty sure. It is the number one site on the internet after all. Like @ThreePi I’m a fairly quiet individual both in person and online. But I read everything (on the CEB at any rate). But a loud thanks to @Commissar SFLUFAN for all he does. I love D1P and the people here and I don’t see my obsessive reading of this site wanting to change any time soon. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ThreePi said:

I can't even remember, Bad Cartridge? Am I making that name up?)

For the record, you nailed it on the head. The site was Bad Cartridge before things got switched over to DayOnePatch. 

The name switch had something to do with a tentacled fellow of the violet colored variety, but that doesn't need to be gotten into. 

On 2/25/2023 at 10:54 AM, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I have reached the point where I feel that I've done all that I can to make this board a "decent" place and yet feel quite unappreciated for my efforts, considering that I ask very little of anyone and have given quite a bit.

So feel free to stay.  Or feel free to depart.  I'm just far beyond the point of caring anymore.

I don't generally ever come into this thread, and I'm not going to address any of the other stuff, but I hope you're ok and getting whatever help you need. 

As someone who literally dealt with years of depression and tried to ignore it with escapism and trying to convince myself it was all fine if I ignored the problems in my life, it definitely doesn't get any better without professional help. In fact, it gets much, much worse. So while I know we have no actual relationship of any kind, I do hope things get better. Running this place for absolutely no gain (and probably quite a bit of financial loss) on top of real life has to be a ridiculous burden for someone trying to deal with their own stuff. 

Get well. 

• Halal 1

My sister in law is trying to get into nursing school. She was going to have to do the vocational program first, then bridge into the RN program because she didn’t have a high enough GPA. So she had to retake two classes (Comp I and a sophmore psych class) and needed As in both.

Enter the family essay writer 😂

She got the As 👀

3 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

I’d rather be homeless than write another essay for as long as I live.

I actually find it to be an enjoyable exercise. Also with Google docs and video chats, I now actually teach whoever I’m writing for how to do it live. 

It has been interesting to work with my SIL. Despite being born in the US, growing up in a small town near the border in New Mexico meant that English really is a second language for her. You really get an appreciation for the oddity of so much in English when trying to explain various concepts of the language to a non-native speaker.

”It just is” was said a LOT 😂

I am never speeding for the rest of my goddamn life.

The wife and I took a trip this past weekend to a B&B in a little rural town we like, and one day on our way back to it she *really* had to go to the bathroom...It was a flat, straight road with almost no traffic and no lights or intersections, so I booked it to get back sooner; ended up going right past a state trooper who nabbed me going 82 in a 55. I'm not bothered by the fine (I obviously made a mistake), but it carries license points, so I want to plead down to a lesser charge that does not. So far trying to do that has been a tremendous pain in the ass.

I immediately reached out to the only lawyer in the town, who couldn't represent me because he is the county DA; despite that he said he would put in a word with the officer to see if she would issue the lesser charge (called a 3111 in PA), however she declined. So now I have to call the court to see if I can appear via Zoom, find another lawyer (no small task given the dearth of lawyers in rural PA), or drive 3 hours to represent myself.

This is only the second traffic citation I've received in 17 years of driving (with my first and last one occurring 16 years ago), and pleading down like this is an incredibly common occurrence, so it's frustrating that I need to jump through so many hoops.

Oh well, my own damn fault.

• Hugs 1

2 hours ago, Chris- said:

I immediately reached out to the only lawyer in the town, who couldn't represent me because he is the county DA

Oh my god, that's wild :lol:

I've been in the same place though. Got nailed in a speed trap and it was like 2 hours away from where I live. And the officer even fucked up the court date on the ticket and said like "April 31st". I can't remember how I dealt with it but I think it might have been an online traffic school thing I did over a saturday morning. 

4 hours ago, Chris- said:

The wife and I took a trip this past weekend to a B&B in a little rural town we like, and one day on our way back to it she *really* had to go to the bathroom...It was a flat, straight road with almost no traffic and no lights or intersections, so I booked it to get back sooner; ended up going right past a state trooper who nabbed me going 82 in a 55. I'm not bothered by the fine (I obviously made a mistake), but it carries license points, so I want to plead down to a lesser charge that does not. So far trying to do that has been a tremendous pain in the ass.

I immediately reached out to the only lawyer in the town, who couldn't represent me because he is the county DA; despite that he said he would put in a word with the officer to see if she would issue the lesser charge (called a 3111 in PA), however she declined. So now I have to call the court to see if I can appear via Zoom, find another lawyer (no small task given the dearth of lawyers in rural PA), or drive 3 hours to represent myself.

This is only the second traffic citation I've received in 17 years of driving (with my first and last one occurring 16 years ago), and pleading down like this is an incredibly common occurrence, so it's frustrating that I need to jump through so many hoops.

Sounds like your wife needs this: https://www.rei.com/product/407267/freshette-pee-funnel

:p 

• True 1

I come back from vacation and missed crazy drama, it seems. Or not that crazy -- just bigoted stuff.

God, where were you fuckers when people like Engel said trans people were "mutilating" themselves and I felt like the only one saying he was a shitstain?

At what point do you all figure that it's no longer worth putting money into a car for repairs vs. just buying a new car (actually new or used)? 

I have a 2007 Prius with 280,000 miles. It's had a good maintenance record and no accidents, but it's obviously 16 years old and getting way up there in miles. The aftermarket catalytic converter I put in it two years ago is failing, and the dealership is telling me it's $3100 to replace it with an OEM one. I could get another aftermarket one for probably another $1200. Kelly Blue Book says the car is worth between $1200 and $3000. So do I:

1. Buy an aftermarket catalytic converter for around $1200 and hope it doesn't crap out again in 2 years?

2. Just bite the bullet and get the OEM one (with a warranty) for $3100?

3. Trade in the car and get a new or used vehicle?

You just never know; it could go another 100,000 miles or it could shit the bed in a completely different way tomorrow. :/ 

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

Any general tips for a job interview on Monday for a first-time management position? For the service desk manager job at my school division IT dept.

Pay attention and ask questions directed at things discussed. Also for management roles in tech they will be looking for more asserted answers than usual.

9 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Any general tips for a job interview on Monday for a first-time management position? For the service desk manager job at my school division IT dept.

Treat it as an airing of grievances. They'll be impressed by your ability to take charge. 

From the sound of a previous manager interview in my department, most questions will be related to management style, familiarity with ITIL/ITSM for service desk flow, and maybe a bit about professional development. Need to do some refreshers on ITIL over the weekend. I'm not too choked if I don't get this job, but the ~25% raise would certainly be nice.

43 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

From the sound of a previous manager interview in my department, most questions will be related to management style, familiarity with ITIL/ITSM for service desk flow, and maybe a bit about professional development. Need to do some refreshers on ITIL over the weekend. I'm not too choked if I don't get this job, but the ~25% raise would certainly be nice.

tell them their service catalog is fucked and needs a complete overhaul and every process needs to be reviewed holistically 

1 hour ago, Anathema- said:

tell them their service catalog is fucked and needs a complete overhaul and every process needs to be reviewed holistically 

Unfortunately, our service desk is actually in fantastic shape and is likely the best in the province for school divisions (we have actual SLAs, proper ticketing system, procedures, feedback data, etc), and possible all levels of government. So the main goal is to keep it that way, which is largely a result of the awesome team we have. The main goal (imo) of the manager in this department is successfully shielding the team from the rest of the politics of the division and to let them just do their jobs (also the job of any good leader/manager). I can't directly say that in an interview since some higher-ups will be across the table, but I can dance around it (talking about the job of a good leader is to shield/remove/tackle any negative distractions to allow the team to do what they are good at, etc...even though the biggest negative factor is BS from upper management).

But I can throw some holistic stuff in there. Maybe about sunlight and bleach keeping our blood healthy. 

21 hours ago, Nokra said:

At what point do you all figure that it's no longer worth putting money into a car for repairs vs. just buying a new car (actually new or used)? 

I have a 2007 Prius with 280,000 miles. It's had a good maintenance record and no accidents, but it's obviously 16 years old and getting way up there in miles. The aftermarket catalytic converter I put in it two years ago is failing, and the dealership is telling me it's $3100 to replace it with an OEM one. I could get another aftermarket one for probably another $1200. Kelly Blue Book says the car is worth between $1200 and $3000. So do I:

1. Buy an aftermarket catalytic converter for around $1200 and hope it doesn't crap out again in 2 years?

2. Just bite the bullet and get the OEM one (with a warranty) for $3100?

3. Trade in the car and get a new or used vehicle?

You just never know; it could go another 100,000 miles or it could shit the bed in a completely different way tomorrow. :/ 

I'm kind of leaning towards paying for another aftermarket catalytic converter to get me through another couple of years until hopefully interest rates go down, the market settles a bit (no more $5k markups above MSRP), and I can save up more for a down payment. 

46 minutes ago, Nokra said:

I'm kind of leaning towards paying for another aftermarket catalytic converter to get me through another couple of years until hopefully interest rates go down, the market settles a bit (no more $5k markups above MSRP), and I can save up more for a down payment. 

I think that option makes sense as long as the aftermarket converter actually lasts at least a couple of years. I wonder if there's an option to buy a multiple-year warranty for the aftermarket converter, if you could buy that for like $50 for at least two years then the aftermarket converter becomes the no-brainer option IMO.

Friday early afternoon I tend to go in and work on stuff at our indoor theater close to my house. There is the cute old couple that comes to our theater every week. I don’t think they ever make it through a whole movie before they are ready to go home. And it’s never something where they don’t like it, they often come watch the same movie 3 or 4 times and never finish it. 

I finally asked the husband about it today. He tells me his wife has pretty bad dementia, but she loves going to our theater to see movies. She tends to lose interest after about an hour, but she also doesn’t remember that she went to see the movie already, so the guy takes her over and over to the same movie that she tells him she wants to see.

Yes, I am crying in the backroom 😂😭😂😭😂😭😂

5 hours ago, Jason said:

I think that option makes sense as long as the aftermarket converter actually lasts at least a couple of years. I wonder if there's an option to buy a multiple-year warranty for the aftermarket converter, if you could buy that for like $50 for at least two years then the aftermarket converter becomes the no-brainer option IMO.

Yeah this afternoon I found a shop that quoted me $1300 for a cat with a 4 year, 48000 mile warranty. Vs. $3100 for an OEM one that's fine if it gets me through a couple more years of saving up for a down payment. 

On 3/8/2023 at 5:41 AM, Chris- said:

Your state doesn’t allow traffic school to get a point off your record after a ticket?

Feeling pretty good because a promotion came through at work and this morning I got to see what the salary boost is--was in a funny holding pattern the last couple of days because I was informed of the promotion by my manager on Friday but they couldn't tell me the dollar bump until this week. Was supposed to find that out tomorrow in a meeting with my manager but we use Workday and I was able to go in and see the amount this morning. A tiny hair lower than I would have liked but basically on target such that I'm not going into job hunting mode, which I was going to have to do if this promotion didn't come through or they promoted me but lowballed me on the salary boost, so overall a very good news Monday morning.

• Like 3
  • Halal 4
  • Hugs 1