~~ CEB Community Thread ~~

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Feeling pretty good because a promotion came through at work and this morning I got to see what the salary boost is--was in a funny holding pattern the last couple of days because I was informed of the promotion by my manager on Friday but they couldn't tell me the dollar bump until this week. Was supposed to find that out tomorrow in a meeting with my manager but we use Workday and I was able to go in and see the amount this morning. A tiny hair lower than I would have liked but basically on target such that I'm not going into job hunting mode, which I was going to have to do if this promotion didn't come through or they promoted me but lowballed me on the salary boost, so overall a very good news Monday morning.

Way to keep inflation going bud :p

• Haha 1

Did my interview this morning, I think it went quite well. My main competitor is someone who has been in our department for 20 years and knows a lot more about our school division, but I think I have the personality advantage over him (I hope). So tough to say if I get the job. Either way, I like my current one, so no big deal, but I hope I get it.

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 1
  • Hugs 4

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Did my interview this morning, I think it went quite well. My main competitor is someone who has been in our department for 20 years and knows a lot more about our school division, but I think I have the personality advantage over him (I hope). So tough to say if I get the job. Either way, I like my current one, so no big deal, but I hope I get it.

As SFLUFAN pointed out to me when I got my job, being the less experienced person may actually be an advantage if it means they'd have to pay you less than the other guy and you can still do the work. 

Crossing my fingers for you! 

Just now, Nokra said:

As SFLUFAN pointed out to me when I got my job, being the less experienced person may actually be an advantage if it means they'd have to pay you less than the other guy and you can still do the work. 

Crossing my fingers for you! 

Thanks! In this case, we are all on a salary grid as we benefit from teacher collective bargaining, and would be moving to the same step on a new grid. He is currently on a higher step on the same grid as me (he is our networking guy with quite a few years, I am on our applications team). This would be the next grid up, and both start at step 1. So, unfortunately that won't help me out! 

• Hugs 1

I, uh, put down my dog this morning. His cancer got very aggressive in the past couple days and he was struggling to breathe. He had stopped eating and lost 8 of his 56 lbs in the 3 weeks from his last vet appointment. He was comfortable and loved to the end.

It’s been a rough day. He was the best dog I’ve ever had. 

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 14

9 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I, uh, put down my dog this morning. His cancer got very aggressive in the past couple days and he was struggling to breathe. He had stopped eating and lost 8 of his 56 lbs in the 3 weeks from his last vet appointment. He was comfortable and loved to the end.

I also just lost a family dog. Shit sucks man 

• Hugs 5

19 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I'm really sorry for your loss. :(

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Hoping Neil Patrick Harris GIF

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

So sorry to hear that. Dogs are the best and when it gets bad like that, it's the only right choice. But it absolutely sucks. 

• Thanks 1
  • Hugs 1

3 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I know that there is nothing I could possibly say that would make the grief easier to bear as I'm still grieving for Inuk eight months later.

The only solace I can possibly provide is that he knew that his journey across the Rainbow Bridge was made with love and warmth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hugs 1

2 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Really sorry to hear that :( Hope you and your family are coping well.

• Thanks 1

Thanks you guys. I’m bursting into an ugly cry less and less as the day goes on. 

but oh man no one prepares you for the roller coaster that comes with people (read: children) who don’t have the skills to cope with loss. The younger one is in blissful ignorance as she lacks even object permanence. The oldest, 6, is everywhere. From one minute “I’m glad Diesel is dead” to “it feels like we don’t have a family anymore, Diesel is gone” and the occasional “I miss him, why did he have to die?” And “I crossed my fingers so that Diesel would live forever” you simply are not and can not be prepared to manage that. Then hearing all that and still having to care for them, feed them, teach and parent them, and everything else is tough. I’m very glad my oldest is in therapy already cause man she’s got some stuff to figure out and I don’t know if my wife and I  are the ones who are best equipped to do it

• Hugs 7

55 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Thanks you guys. I’m bursting into an ugly cry less and less as the day goes on. 

but oh man no one prepares you for the roller coaster that comes with people (read: children) who don’t have the skills to cope with loss. The younger one is in blissful ignorance as she lacks even object permanence. The oldest, 6, is everywhere. From one minute “I’m glad Diesel is dead” to “it feels like we don’t have a family anymore, Diesel is gone” and the occasional “I miss him, why did he have to die?” And “I crossed my fingers so that Diesel would live forever” you simply are not and can not be prepared to manage that. Then hearing all that and still having to care for them, feed them, teach and parent them, and everything else is tough. I’m very glad my oldest is in therapy already cause man she’s got some stuff to figure out and I don’t know if my wife and I  are the ones who are best equipped to do it

You're doing a wonderful job. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

It can be really tough having to not only manage your own grief but the grief of others as well. Hope you hang in there. Just don't forget to breathe, and take things one day at a time. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Yeah the timing of all that is definitely something I'm thinking about when it comes to getting another friend. We don't want her to be too young even as cute as it is to see a puppy with a baby. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Anathema- said:

But in any case getting a new friend is always a good thing to help. None of them can be replaced but let's be real here nobody picks you up like a dog.

When our big doofus Rocky passed away almost two years ago, we struggled with the idea of "replacing" him. We still had our other cat, Little (who was also 12), and in the realized that rescuing a new cat wasn't replacing Rocky, or any kind of betrayal, it was bringing a new member of the family into our house, and giving a good life to an animal that needed it. In the end, the new three-legged kitten (Lt. Frank Columbo) ended up being far too energetic for old-timer Little, so we got a third cat, a kitten we named Hercule Poirot. Him and Columbo bonded (so mostly left Little alone), and now it's a better situation.

My point, I guess, is that we all feel guilt at the thought of getting a new animal after a loved one passes, but I don't think we should—we're giving good lives to these little guys, and adding a new member to the family doesn't diminish the love we felt for the one we've lost.

• Like 1
  • Halal 2

Just claimed a $300 credit for our water heater we installed last year. We got an A.C. which qualified as well but it looks as if the max we can claim is $300 total. Although I THINK the carryforward provision would work for next year? Maybe?

The hurricane windows we're getting this year, which also qualify, will be quite helpful for next year's taxes.

I don't know how much people received last year, but I kept thinking about the Inflation Reduction Act since it increased energy credits in a big way.

• Shocked 1

On 3/14/2023 at 9:29 AM, CitizenVectron said:

When our big doofus Rocky passed away almost two years ago, we struggled with the idea of "replacing" him. We still had our other cat, Little (who was also 12), and in the realized that rescuing a new cat wasn't replacing Rocky, or any kind of betrayal, it was bringing a new member of the family into our house, and giving a good life to an animal that needed it. In the end, the new three-legged kitten (Lt. Frank Columbo) ended up being far too energetic for old-timer Little, so we got a third cat, a kitten we named Hercule Poirot. Him and Columbo bonded (so mostly left Little alone), and now it's a better situation.

My point, I guess, is that we all feel guilt at the thought of getting a new animal after a loved one passes, but I don't think we should—we're giving good lives to these little guys, and adding a new member to the family doesn't diminish the love we felt for the one we've lost.

Something like 14 years ago, we had a 1.5 year old cat that out of nowhere just had a stroke and died on New Year's Eve when we had people over. Came out of the room with his litter box, did a little stutter step, and his ticket was punched. We went to the MSPCA and found the saddest cat in the shelter the next day it was open to adopt, got her a sister a few months later. The second cat of that pair died six or so years later (she'd always had respiratory issues that turned into cancer) and the first rebound cat had to be put down at the beginning of last year. We got 2 kittens within a week of that; the house just didn't feel the same with no cat in it.

Chainsmoking pets is a fine and good thing to do if you're up for it, and it's of course it's okay if that doesn't feel right.

• Hugs 1

I knew my main competitor for the job was the guy with 15+ years seniority over me, but his weakness was his people skills. So I pushed that as my big asset, that my leadership style is to empower the team and delegate, and that I want people to be treated as people, and to respect their work-life balance and mental health. Being in education, that is actually something the leadership likes.

But, just in case they want someone to grind down labour, I threw them a bone in the following as my closing statement as life under my managerial skills:

To be a man in such times is to be one amongst untold billions. It is to live in the cruelest and most bloody regime imaginable. These are the tales of those times. Forget the power of technology and science, for so much has been forgotten, never to be re-learned. Forget the promise of progress and understanding, for in the grim dark future there is only war. There is no peace amongst the stars, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter, and the laughter of thirsting gods.

EDIT - My biggest concern at this point is how the other guy will take it. He's great at his job (our network guy) and we're in the middle of a huge wifi upgrade project at 32+ locations. But I can't control that.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

EDIT - My biggest concern at this point is how the other guy will take it. He's great at his job (our network guy) and we're in the middle of a huge wifi upgrade project at 32+ locations. But I can't control that.

Basketball Ok GIF by Malcolm France

• Sicko 1

• 2 weeks later...

Took some time to consider things.

Wade want you to know you are to be commended for keeping this community together over the last two decades of interactions, I meant no disrespect to you, I’m sorry for anything you’re going through and saddened if I worsened it. @Commissar SFLUFAN

it’s just trans hatred enrages me. I can’t be unbiased in the interactions when they occur and that time was especially poignant as I was in Costa Rica with 6 others, half were lgbtqi+ one being a trans girl that if I was still enm I would’ve pursued. We were just living our lives in tamarindo not hurting anyone and I saw those comments here, juxtapose that bigotry with my lived experience at the time. We even went to a drag show in the city, loads of fun and me and my best friend were super popular. I and her drank for free that night. The trans girl was for one of the first times just living her true self free of worry and loving it.

And a promise is a promise, Japan has been amazing and I’m sad my time here is coming to an end. Whatever you’ve heard of the country doesn’t do it justice. It absolutely needs to be experienced if you’re able. @sblfilms

If you’re able, see the peace museum and go to Hiroshima. It was a borderline spiritual experience and I wasn’t the only one crying there.

• Hugs 3

15 minutes ago, TUFKAK said:

Took some time to consider things.

Wade want you to know you are to be commended for keeping this community together over the last two decades of interactions, I meant no disrespect to you, I’m sorry for anything you’re going through and saddened if I worsened it. @Commissar SFLUFAN

it’s just trans hatred enrages me. I can’t be unbiased in the interactions when they occur and that time was especially poignant as I was in Costa Rica with 6 others, half were lgbtqi+ one being a trans girl that if I was still enm I would’ve pursued. We were just living our lives in tamarindo not hurting anyone and I saw those comments here, juxtapose that bigotry with my lived experience at the time. We even went to a drag show in the city, loads of fun and me and my best friend were super popular. I and her drank for free that night. The trans girl was for one of the first times just living her true self free of worry and loving it.

And a promise is a promise, Japan has been amazing and I’m sad my time here is coming to an end. Whatever you’ve heard of the country doesn’t do it justice. It absolutely needs to be experienced if you’re able. @sblfilms

If you’re able, see the peace museum and go to Hiroshima. It was a borderline spiritual experience and I wasn’t the only one crying there.

Your photos have me even more hyped for October. 

• Halal 1

I posted this over in the baseball thread but LOL I ended up in a crowd shot as the Astros were on the brink of defeat tonight and a bunch of my friends started texting me pics 😂

D3-CFF81-F-8-ED8-4165-BEE2-8072562-C121-E