~~ CEB Community Thread ~~

7 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I’m down 20 lbs thus far from thanksgiving

I'm down a tiny bit since I finally got back into the gym in January but it seems like it's mostly been going into body recomp. I've lost a couple of pounds but it's mostly just me getting smaller/my clothes fitting better. 

Nothing worse than waking up and the water heater is not only dead but spewing water. A hot tip we got was to buy the water heater through the utility company. They came same day the heater broke, took the old one away, gave us 2 year 0% finance and the heater was competitively priced. Plus provided us the all the information for state rebates. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hugs 2

4 hours ago, Brian said:

Nothing worse than waking up and the water heater is not only dead but spewing water. A hot tip we got was to buy the water heater through the utility company. They came same day the heater broke, took the old one away, gave us 2 year 0% finance and the heater was competitively priced. Plus provided us the all the information for state rebates. 

Ugh. We're fortunate that the old water heater was set up to drain water out of a pipe and onto our pool deck, as well as having a basket underneath so the laundry room wouldn't flood. Hope they did that with yours.

We're definitely happy the AC and heater are more energy efficient, and we got some tax credits for it which was very helpful (we're hoping for a bigger refund next year in particular), but it's just everything happening at once which sucked. I'm going to make a few big payments to get this paid off by the end of August to avoid interest, but we'll still be splitting the hurricane window payments which will take a lot longer to pay off. Still, after Ian, we did NOT want to have to fight for plywood/shutters for the next hurricane and would rather be ready to go whenever we needed.

I can't wait till these payments end.

3 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Ugh. We're fortunate that the old water heater was set up to drain water out of a pipe and onto our pool deck, as well as having a basket underneath so the laundry room wouldn't flood. Hope they did that with yours.

We're definitely happy the AC and heater are more energy efficient, and we got some tax credits for it which was very helpful (we're hoping for a bigger refund next year in particular), but it's just everything happening at once which sucked. I'm going to make a few big payments to get this paid off by the end of August to avoid interest, but we'll still be splitting the hurricane window payments which will take a lot longer to pay off. Still, after Ian, we did NOT want to have to fight for plywood/shutters for the next hurricane and would rather be ready to go whenever we needed.

I can't wait till these payments end.

It was spraying from the top. We only noticed because the water pressure was low and the water was cold during the morning shower. The basement is carpeted because the previous owners used it as a play space for kids. I had to borrow a wet vac to save the carpet. Definitely not a fun way to spend a day. 

We have been lucky that nothing major has happened since we bought the home so we can space upgrades out. The home was built 1919 and it was a concern when we bought it. 

I hope this is the end of your bad luck. 

• Hugs 1

Joining the broken AC club, but for a portable. Plugged it in for the season and it's not blowing cold air. Upside is I bought it from Costco so I can just bring it back even though it's been a touch over two years, downside is I have a sedan that's not a hatchback so it's a pain in the ass to get something like this in and out of my car (the trunk opening is too small, at least when it's in the box)...and I'm gonna have to do it twice tomorrow when I grab the new one.

I tried to claim the credit card extended warranty on this but they want a repair estimate and it's gonna get hot later this week so I don't wanna fuck around with trying to find a place that can give me a quote only to find out everything sold out in the meantime.

I don't want to go into full doomposting most, but...I said to myself a while ago, that if something in my body breaks or hurts, I'm not going to try and fix it.  Hell, I cancelled a doctor appointment, even though my weight and blood pressure is much higher than normal.  But...part of me doesn't care anymore.

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

1 hour ago, marioandsonic said:

I don't want to go into full doomposting most, but...I said to myself a while ago, that if something in my body breaks or hurts, I'm not going to try and fix it.  Hell, I cancelled a doctor appointment, even though my weight and blood pressure is much higher than normal.  But...part of me doesn't care anymore.

I'm not that great at words of affirmation. But that's a silly way of thinking. Your life like isn't a car you're driving into the ground. This is you, man! Reschedule and see if you can make some minor changes. 

Save the defeatism for national politics :p 

48 minutes ago, CayceG said:

I'm not that great at words of affirmation. But that's a silly way of thinking. Your life like isn't a car you're driving into the ground. This is you, man! Reschedule and see if you can make some minor changes. 

Save the defeatism for national politics :p 

I've resigned myself to the idea that Trump will win in 2024.  There is no point in anything if that happens.

13 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

I've resigned myself to the idea that Trump will win in 2024.  There is no point in anything if that happens.

Your health is more important than politics my guy. Do you have a therapist you can see? An eap program?

2 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

@Joe - Alcaraz just bivalent boosted Novax Djocovidic in five sets at the Wimbledon Men's Final!

Did you see NoVax’s lame ass break his racquet and dent the net post in the 5th set? So beautiful.

On 7/25/2023 at 6:31 AM, thewhyteboar said:

Is @sblfilms gone? Did I miss something?

One of the other D1Pers mentioned your query, so I wanted pop-in real quick to say thanks for asking and tell you what I’ve been up to 😊

With theater stuff in the summer, and trying to really expand my construction business as I weigh how much I want to still do movie theater stuff as my prime gig, and spending a lot of time with my kids and a few others on the college prep stuff…I just don’t have a ton of time to spend here. I am trying to reserve my currently more limited free time for the real world people in my life.

I can also say…the boards have been a bit of a drag this summer. Maybe the heat is getting to everybody, but I feel like it’s about as doom-y here as it’s been in the entire existence, and we are only a couple of years removed from millions dying in a pandemic 😜

But I fully expect to be back to regular time with my favorite group of misanthropes ❤️

Since I’ve been gone, I’m neck deep in this new house build (probably 2 months left), and I decided one night that I just was going to learn how to build pools by building the one at my house that my wife wants. So off I went the last week of June.

start of excavation

IMG-0209 IMG-0213 IMG-0214 IMG-2739

rebar installedIMG-0259

plumbers working IMG-0276

Our dog Carl is best friends with everybody

IMG-0289

Spraying the concrete via the Gunite method 

IMG-0293 IMG-0304

plumbers laying pipe

IMG-0441

pool equipment all installed IMG-0442 IMG-0446 IMG-0450 IMG-0451

tile and coping being completed

It’s been fun to learn something new. We are going to start grading the ground around it and then work on the pool decking. Then plaster. Then commissioning the startup. Pool should be done in another couple of weeks.

Earlier in July, we made our now annual trip the site of the MLB All-Star Game, in Seattle this year. We had a lovely time. It didn’t rain and it was mostly mid 70s the whole time. I ate more than my fair share of fish. We also did one of regular things when we visit a city and went to a local cinema. They had Raising Arizona playing and my wife had never seen it. We had a blast.

IMG-0309 IMG-0336 IMG-0338 IMG-0346 IMG-0352 IMG-0355 IMG-0386 IMG-2839 IMG-2840

And of course, this past weekend has been quite a wild one at the theaters with the best post pandemic weekend yet. Was fun to see that kind of sustained activity every day, and even into the weekdays business has been strong for the whole industry.

I think things will chilllllll out in a few months and I’ll be back to my more regular posting habits 🥰

13 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

One of the other D1Pers mentioned your query, so I wanted pop-in real quick to say thanks for asking and tell you what I’ve been up to 😊

With theater stuff in the summer, and trying to really expand my construction business as I weigh how much I want to still do movie theater stuff as my prime gig, and spending a lot of time with my kids and a few others on the college prep stuff…I just don’t have a ton of time to spend here. I am trying to reserve my currently more limited free time for the real world people in my life.

I can also say…the boards have been a bit of a drag this summer. Maybe the heat is getting to everybody, but I feel like it’s about as doom-y here as it’s been in the entire existence, and we are only a couple of years removed from millions dying in a pandemic 😜

But I fully expect to be back to regular time with my favorite group of misanthropes ❤️

Since I’ve been gone, I’m neck deep in this new house build (probably 2 months left), and I decided one night that I just was going to learn how to build pools by building the one at my house that my wife wants. So off I went the last week of June.

start of excavation

IMG-0209 IMG-0213 IMG-0214 IMG-2739

rebar installedIMG-0259

plumbers working IMG-0276

Our dog Carl is best friends with everybody

IMG-0289

Spraying the concrete via the Gunite method 

IMG-0293 IMG-0304

plumbers laying pipe

IMG-0441

pool equipment all installed IMG-0442 IMG-0446 IMG-0450 IMG-0451

tile and coping being completed

It’s been fun to learn something new. We are going to start grading the ground around it and then work on the pool decking. Then plaster. Then commissioning the startup. Pool should be done in another couple of weeks.

Earlier in July, we made our now annual trip the site of the MLB All-Star Game, in Seattle this year. We had a lovely time. It didn’t rain and it was mostly mid 70s the whole time. I ate more than my fair share of fish. We also did one of regular things when we visit a city and went to a local cinema. They had Raising Arizona playing and my wife had never seen it. We had a blast.

IMG-0309 IMG-0336 IMG-0338 IMG-0346 IMG-0352 IMG-0355 IMG-0386 IMG-2839 IMG-2840

And of course, this past weekend has been quite a wild one at the theaters with the best post pandemic weekend yet. Was fun to see that kind of sustained activity every day, and even into the weekdays business has been strong for the whole industry.

I think things will chilllllll out in a few months and I’ll be back to my more regular posting habits 🥰

Awesome to see you living that life, appreciate the pics, looks like you’re having a great time and getting some solid work done at the same time. So are you going to need to change your name to sblconstruction?????

Carl looks amazing.

Just now, stepee said:

Carl looks amazing.

He is the best and dumbest dog. Will eat *literally* anything. We actually had another stray show up at our house about 2 months ago that looked a lot like him, Carl Jr. (or CJ) the kids began calling him. We took him to the vet and he wasn't chipped, so the wife got him all his shots and he joined the family. On Sunday poor CJ ran out into the street and got run over. Fortunately it was quick, and the kids weren't home. My oldest, who is a 16 year old boy but still my baby, was devastated and asked if I would bury CJ next to his beloved goat Olaf.

Why the kid had to pick the most hard-packed part of the yard, jeez, but now CJ and Olaf are boring next to each in our front yard and the kids aren't so sad now that it is a few days on. CJ had a rough life before he got here, and then was spoiled rotten with his best friend Carl and the love of our family. I'm glad he got that time even if it ended too soon.

21 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

He is the best and dumbest dog. Will eat *literally* anything. We actually had another stray show up at our house about 2 months ago that looked a lot like him, Carl Jr. (or CJ) the kids began calling him. We took him to the vet and he wasn't chipped, so the wife got him all his shots and he joined the family. On Sunday poor CJ ran out into the street and got run over. Fortunately it was quick, and the kids weren't home. My oldest, who is a 16 year old boy but still my baby, was devastated and asked if I would bury CJ next to his beloved goat Olaf.

Why the kid had to pick the most hard-packed part of the yard, jeez, but now CJ and Olaf are boring next to each in our front yard and the kids aren't so sad now that it is a few days on. CJ had a rough life before he got here, and then was spoiled rotten with his best friend Carl and the love of our family. I'm glad he got that time even if it ended too soon.

Jeeze, that story was far more emotionally devastating than I was expecting! Good on you doing that though.