~~ CEB Community Thread ~~

I am just wrapping up a systems project as I graduate and finish school, and it has only re-affirmed my hatred of teamwork in a school setting.

Our project was to design and build a real-world inventory database and website for our school's asset management department. Basically something to track all of the monitors, computers, equipment, etc. They have around 5,000 items on this campus and they use a paper-based system at the moment. We had four months to do it (plenty of time), but barely put it together in time.

Basically our project manager (assigned by an instructor) was the worst at everything and made a guy with aspergers our programmer. Nothing against people with aspergers or similar conditions, but in his particular case he is completely unable to deal with people, timelines, and scope of a project. He also failed the pre-requisite courses for this (C#/ASP.NET, Javascript, etc), but the instructors mercy-passed him because they are idiots and want to keep collecting tuition. This guy literally can't write a single "Hello World" page in Visual Studio without copying someone else's code. Knowing this, the BA and myself (DBA position on the team) did all of the work ourselves. We carried a 5-member team for the entire semester, logging double the hours and writing all of the code and SQL scripts. I just finished writing up my peer review, and it was pretty scathing, including telling off the instructors (and entire program...in polite words) for passing this kid even though they know he is failing and will continue to fail, as they are doing an injustice to him as well.

Fortunately our finished product is great, but only because the two competent members went rogue and did everything ourselves regardless of what the manager wanted us to work on. Obviously in the real world you can't do that, but in the real world you can also just let your boss know that someone else isn't doing anything, and then they can deal with it. 

The only group work that should ever be mandatory is the kind where you get to choose your own teams.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

We suspect that the leading hyphen in your "old" Username might be responsible for that somehow.

It basically had to be, when I exported the users list after wave 1 so that you could line up where to start wave 2 from in terms of member IDs, it gave me a warning about potentially unsafe characters. I think on the Dreamhost site that warning was getting suppressed for whatever reason, possibly something niggles set at some point.

Now that his username doesn't have the leading hyphen, you don't get the warning if you go to export. 

56 minutes ago, SilentWorld said:

THAT’s what that was. I assumed it was some alien logo from some sci-fi tv show or video game.

DID YOU KNOW that the Ukrainian trident looks like a diving falcon?

p1793125342-3.jpg

And that the word "Freedom" (VOLYA) is written in cyrillic in the trident?

141105-sokilvoli-20.jpg

EDIT: I learned that we're not auto-imaging links now I guess. 

On 6/21/2018 at 5:23 AM, CitizenVectron said:

I am just wrapping up a systems project as I graduate and finish school, and it has only re-affirmed my hatred of teamwork in a school setting.

Our project was to design and build a real-world inventory database and website for our school's asset management department. Basically something to track all of the monitors, computers, equipment, etc. They have around 5,000 items on this campus and they use a paper-based system at the moment. We had four months to do it (plenty of time), but barely put it together in time.

Basically our project manager (assigned by an instructor) was the worst at everything and made a guy with aspergers our programmer. Nothing against people with aspergers or similar conditions, but in his particular case he is completely unable to deal with people, timelines, and scope of a project. He also failed the pre-requisite courses for this (C#/ASP.NET, Javascript, etc), but the instructors mercy-passed him because they are idiots and want to keep collecting tuition. This guy literally can't write a single "Hello World" page in Visual Studio without copying someone else's code. Knowing this, the BA and myself (DBA position on the team) did all of the work ourselves. We carried a 5-member team for the entire semester, logging double the hours and writing all of the code and SQL scripts. I just finished writing up my peer review, and it was pretty scathing, including telling off the instructors (and entire program...in polite words) for passing this kid even though they know he is failing and will continue to fail, as they are doing an injustice to him as well.

Fortunately our finished product is great, but only because the two competent members went rogue and did everything ourselves regardless of what the manager wanted us to work on. Obviously in the real world you can't do that, but in the real world you can also just let your boss know that someone else isn't doing anything, and then they can deal with it. 

The only group work that should ever be mandatory is the kind where you get to choose your own teams.

Yeah group work blows. I'm doing a "team project" now (and have been for the last 1.5 years) where my team member is actually a friend of mine but he doesn't seem to be nearly as motivated as I am to finish the project. We're using Subversion so I can actually go through and see the statistics about who is doing what, and by percent authorship, I'm at 75% and he's at 25%. :tired:

I gave you a sympathy "like". :p 

12 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

Yesterday was an insane day for me.

The Franklin Institute has their Game Masters Exhibit going on right now, and they invited local developers to share their work, so I jumped on it. It’s such an insane feeling to see others enjoying your work.

That's awesome, man, congrats, that must be such a rewarding feeling! :D How many people were able to play your game? Were they able to provide some useful feedback as well? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nokra said:

That's awesome, man, congrats, that must be such a rewarding feeling! :D How many people were able to play your game? Were they able to provide some useful feedback as well? 

Due to the weather it was pretty packed, and most people came over out of curiousity. So I had a decent crowd throughout the three hours I was there, and one father with his kid gave me some great ideas. 

Once I update the most recent build on my site I’ll post a link here.

@SFLUFAN @Jose

Is this the most recent one?

k8Vd5si.jpg

Wade, make a copy of the uploads folder (in case something gets screwed up with this) and then run the first reply here on it. Seeing if I could find Jose's icon on the Wayback Machine I noticed this:

http://web.archive.org/web/20171029123018im_/http://www.dayonepatch.com/uploads/monthly_2017_07/IMG_2662_1024x1024.thumb.jpg.303006c3ef9c47ef48e26c7bdafe10b3.jpg

vs this for CayceG (who set his icon once and then never changed it):

http://web.archive.org/web/20160421123440/http://www.dayonepatch.com/uploads/profile/photo-486.png

Although I'm not sure if that's about never changing your icon or using an upload vs import from URL.

Everything after dayonepatch.com/ is the location in the file directory you downloaded where the icon lives...note that there's both thumbs and full sizes.

If people can remember roughly when they uploaded their icon then that'd help you narrow down where to look in the directory where all the subdirectories have been emptied into the top-level one if you then sort it by last modified.

2 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Thank you.

I fixed the cropping for you. It's not super easy to see but there IS a selection tool that pops up when you upload a new image. Otherwise it just (I think) defaults to the center of the image and then showing as much as it can from there.

4 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

Alright - I'm in the cave with the guy.  What am I supposed to do?

D'oh, I'm just seeing this now.

Arrows or WASD to move, space bar to attack, and E to talk to NPCs (although for some reason whether through colliders or some delay in code it takes a few tries to get NPCs to talk).

• 2 weeks later...