~~ CEB Community Thread ~~

50 minutes ago, TUFKAK said:

This is my fiancés trip I’m just paying lol

with that said I told her I want to see the peace museum and electric city

Shes organizing everything else 

What time of year are you going?

7 minutes ago, TUFKAK said:

We’re heading end of March through early April.

Very nice. Let us know how you liked it. I keep racking up more and more United miles, so at some point I want to cash them in on some long overseas flights.

On 1/15/2023 at 9:56 AM, sblfilms said:

Very nice. Let us know how you liked it. I keep racking up more and more United miles, so at some point I want to cash them in on some long overseas flights.

Well we booked a direct via Singapore air which was decently affordable honestly, now we’re booking hotels, venues, museums etc.

if I ever figure out how to post pictures here I’ll add. I tried with Sardinia and gave up 😂 

19 minutes ago, TUFKAK said:

Well we booked a direct via Singapore air which was decently affordable honestly, now we’re booking hotels, venues, museums etc.

if I ever figure out how to post pictures here I’ll add. I tried with Sardinia and gave up 😂 

I’ve heard from a former boss who was married to a woman who was originally from the Philippines and would travel there to visit her family often that Singapore air is the way to go

10 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I’ve heard from a former boss who was married to a woman who was originally from the Philippines and would travel there to visit her family often that Singapore air is the way to go

Never flown so will update after. Qatar business remains the best flight I’ve ever taken though with that said.

So, my game room is nearly finished but it’s missing one major piece so I turn to you guys for help.

I want a stand up arcade, I’ve found one company in particular I’m researching but if you guys gave any additional insight into where to look I’d appreciate it.

9 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Are you going Arcade 1up or something else?

Nah

more like this

CREATIVE-ARCADES.COM

Creative Arcades offers full size classic arcade machines at the best price. Find stand up cabinet arcades, cocktail arcades and pub table arcades with up to 3,500 retro...

Hmm. Might have the opportunity to take a manager position in my department in the next few months, and conflicted about it. Currently I work with our school division's databases and a few software systems. Not much programming, but a bit of scripting and integrations. The manager position would be for our service desk area (front-line tier 1 techs).

I am conflicted because:

• Big jump in pay ($87k to $105k, with annual step raises after for seven years, + COL raises)
  • Interesting responsibilities (our division is going 1:1 laptops with kids, new device management systems, etc)
  • More responsibility (8 people report to the position)
  • Right now I am (slowly) starting the process of getting people to think about unionization, which obviously would stop (from my own involvement, not in general)

So, not entirely sure what to do. Have to look out for myself, but also would suck if I (the main driver of better working conditions) am not there to push. On the other hand, I can improve working conditions by actually just improving them as a manager, lol. 

For reference, our IT department is 20 people, 8 of which are in the service desk area, and we service about 1,400 staff and 12,000 students.

@CitizenVectron from your post, it sounds like the biggest concern is whether the unionization would continue without you, but you're quite interested in the job itself, right? If that's the case, I think I'm with Chris that it's pretty straightforward. Someone else can and will take the reins on unionization if it's important to them, and meanwhile it sounds like this is a great career move. 

Do you think they're offering management to intentionally pull you off of unionization? 

2 minutes ago, Nokra said:

@CitizenVectron from your post, it sounds like the biggest concern is whether the unionization would continue without you, but you're quite interested in the job itself, right? If that's the case, I think I'm with Chris that it's pretty straightforward. Someone else can and will take the reins on unionization if it's important to them, and meanwhile it sounds like this is a great career move. 

Do you think they're offering management to intentionally pull you off of unionization? 

No I don't think that's the case as they aren't offering it to me, I would need to apply. Primary candidates would be me and a coworker, but I think I have a good shot. I definitely want it, as while my current job is great, this would open up other jobs in the future. Only downside is it would take me further away from scripting/programming, which has far more possibilities in the future. But I'm also 38 so I'd like to keep a nice stable job, lol. 

My wife's niece and her husband just moved in next door to us with my mother in law. The husband was talking about looking for jobs, I made a few suggestions, and he was like "do they hire felons?".

Turns out the dude shot another dude in the face

:badass: 

10 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

My wife's niece and her husband just moved in next door to us with my mother in law. The husband was talking about looking for jobs, I made a few suggestions, and he was like "do they hire felons?".

Turns out the dude shot another dude in the face

:badass: 

0920Drywall-DIY-Guides-install.jpg

• Haha 1
  • True 1

Some pics from the “addition” (knocked a garage down and essentially built a new house to make a duplex) I’m finishing up building this week

I really enjoy building stuff. Have three new house builds already on deck for this year. I’m sure I’ll do some remodel projects interspersed as well.

#LearnToDrywall53-AFBE64-D576-4-CD3-BA48-5-FBEFD5-B5-CF1 BFB75579-B6-AE-4-DAF-B60-A-91-D0-BD39-AEA2 73986-D45-53-A8-4-EA3-A855-31-E68-AE40-C1-D 7-D1-F54-F3-1-DD1-4-CCD-AC87-E1-CB0-EB4-A426 073-D4-B9-B-445-D-4-C80-8084-55-FAF0-EF7168 0-FD2-B06-A-C16-F-4-D2-F-B855-581-ACBD19-A96

Japan updates

We bought tickets to a sumo tournament in Osaka two days after we get there as we arrived right in the middle of one.

She booked a Ryokan in the mountains outside of Nagasaki as my heavily inked ass isn’t fully welcomed in certain bathhouses and since we will be in the south, made sense to make it private. But now I’m basically gonna be living in the hospital until we fly out to pay for this trip.

• Hugs 1