Now it’s out, what do you want from the Zelda series moving forward?

gamer.tv

Hate the nu driection.

I don't want remakes.

I want more OoT-SS era Zelda games. I don't care about the formula being tired or some other dog shit excuse for not liking the games. No one is making that style of game. Nintendo was the only one. Bunch of indie fucks are making ALttP knock-offs but not one of those mother fuckers will make a 3D Zelda-like. Bullshit that I'm just shit out of luck. My hope is that they find a way to make "smaller" Zelda titles in the OoT-style like how the handhelds were still getting shit like Minish Cap and Ages/Seasons while the 3D titles were happening. At this point, the closest I get to playing my favorite style of Zelda is when I play a Souls game. As people are still eating that shit up. Sure, people did complain about how they were getting souls'd out but they kept playing anyway. Also, fuck ER. Fuckin' open-world trash with 9 unique bosses.

Mad Arthur GIF by MOODMAN

That said ALBW is one of the best Zelda games of all time.

• Guillotine 1
  • Halal 1

1 minute ago, crispy4000 said:

The problem is that they're not good.

That's basically all indie games tho. And this is like the ONLY 3D Zelda-like made by an indie dev, and those devs aren't even real game devs. They make mobile """""""games""""""""

• Guillotine 2

28 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

Give me more BOTW and TOTK, but also give me a A Link to the Past remake.

This but not a remake, just make a new game like Link to the Past & Link Between Worlds.

Nothing from SNES era needs a remake, those games still look and play great, it's a timeless style. Even Links Awakening didnt NEED a remake, would have rather had that team working on a new game in that same style.

• Halal 1

The first thing that comes to mind is just getting the current game on better hardware. That's not so much a Zelda thing as a Nintendo one, but I'm tired of playing great games that look terrible on a big screen.

As for a next Zelda game, I'm not super tempted by remakes, even really high quality ones, and especially not while they're targeting the switch. I mean, it'd be taking a 20+ year old game and making it look like it's only 10+ years old, which doesn't seem worthwhile. Even if we got powerful new Nintendo hardware, I don't imagine a circumstance where I'd rather have a remake than a new entry.

I'm not too far into Tears, but I feel like it's clear what it's good at and what it's not. I'd love to see the enemies AI evolve as a way to make combat more interesting. Right now they're just so dumb and have zero situational awareness. I'd certainly hope to see a bit more polish on things like UI/UX, especially if they expand on crafting powers.

I think making the world even more dynamic could be an interesting path for Zelda. Things like destructible environments and buildings could really up the immersion and the chaos.

I don't think the game world needs to get any bigger, but I'd certainly like to see even more of it be carefully crafted. I think there's a very notable jump in crafted spaces from BOTW to TOTK, and even assuming they move to a whole new Hyrule, I'd love to see that trend continue.

Mostly though, I just hope they keep things fresh and exciting.

• Halal 1

I'd like them to remake OoT but in BOTW's format, just to maximally piss off @Bacon

:hug:

In all seriousness, I think the direction they're going with progressively more systems-oriented game design is the right path. Systems-oriented games almost always result in the most memorable experiences. One of the reasons BOTW was great was because of its systems and TOTK takes it to a whole other level.

The trick with that is your systems need simple rules, but when composed together allow for complexity. Thus far they've nailed that. If they can extend it further while maintaining that, all the better.

1 hour ago, Brian said:

Wind Waker 2. Thanks 

We got Wind Waker 2 AND 3. They just didn't take place in the ocean anymore.

However, I'd love a TotK Zelda that took place on the ocean. Scrounge for materials, build your own ship, take to the sea.

Don’t really want to see remakes. 

I enjoy the BotW style games, but I prefer OoT Zelda. Honestly, I’m fine with the open world, I’m just not a huge fan of the focus on basically crafting your own experience. I want unique dungeons, unique items, and don’t want to have to puzzle solve every minor thing I come across. Like I just want to swim across a lake, don’t make me build some contraption for a simple task. Also, Elden Ring ruined horse riding in every game to the point I’m resentful to games that don’t control like that. 

• True 1

BotW and TotK took the original concept from NES Zelda (here are tools, you can go anywhere, now figure out how to beat the game) and perfected it using 30 years of game development.

I honestly don't know where I want them to go next.  I'd be happy enough to see the hookshot return as a grappling hook system similar to wrecking ball in overwatch or pathfinder from apex, where you can use momentum to swing from a point.

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

The first thing that comes to mind is just getting the current game on better hardware. That's not so much a Zelda thing as a Nintendo one, but I'm tired of playing great games that look terrible on a big screen.

As for a next Zelda game, I'm not super tempted by remakes, even really high quality ones, and especially not while they're targeting the switch. I mean, it'd be taking a 20+ year old game and making it look like it's only 10+ years old, which doesn't seem worthwhile. Even if we got powerful new Nintendo hardware, I don't imagine a circumstance where I'd rather have a remake than a new entry.

I'm not too far into Tears, but I feel like it's clear what it's good at and what it's not. I'd love to see the enemies AI evolve as a way to make combat more interesting. Right now they're just so dumb and have zero situational awareness. I'd certainly hope to see a bit more polish on things like UI/UX, especially if they expand on crafting powers.

I think making the world even more dynamic could be an interesting path for Zelda. Things like destructible environments and buildings could really up the immersion and the chaos.

I don't think the game world needs to get any bigger, but I'd certainly like to see even more of it be carefully crafted. I think there's a very notable jump in crafted spaces from BOTW to TOTK, and even assuming they move to a whole new Hyrule, I'd love to see that trend continue.

Mostly though, I just hope they keep things fresh and exciting.

3 minutes ago, Bjomesphat said:

Don’t really want to see remakes. 

I enjoy the BotW style games, but I prefer OoT Zelda. Honestly, I’m fine with the open world, I’m just not a huge fan of the focus on basically crafting your own experience. I want unique dungeons, unique items, and don’t want to have to puzzle solve every minor thing I come across. Like I just want to swim across a lake, don’t make me build some contraption for a simple task. Also, Elden Ring ruined horse riding in every game to the point I’m resentful to games that don’t control like that. 

These two posts absolutely nail it. 

I’m not opposed to remakes. I think OOT has good “bones” plot wise that if they wanted to turn it into a massive open world game I’d absolutely be all for it. 

I liked the 3DS nod to LTTP but it’d be great if they just went whole hog into something without the sort of pseudo remake they did. 

At this point though I trust that team inherently - they’ll have way better ideas for a new game than my dumb ass could ever come up with. 

3 hours ago, thedarkstark said:

This but not a remake, just make a new game like Link to the Past & Link Between Worlds.

Nothing from SNES era needs a remake, those games still look and play great, it's a timeless style. Even Links Awakening didnt NEED a remake, would have rather had that team working on a new game in that same style.

I agree except for Links Awakening, that remake was desperately needed.

1 hour ago, Paperclyp said:

At this point though I trust that team inherently - they’ll have way better ideas for a new game than my dumb ass could ever come up with. 

That’s how I feel with the ascend ability more than anything.  Also the crazy ways recall and ultrahand can work together.

Its BotW’s bones, but still… I’m going to forget all about that game’s runes after this.  It’s a better designed video game.

1 minute ago, crispy4000 said:

That’s how I feel with the ascend ability more than anything.  Also the crazy way recall and ultrahand can work together.

Its BotW’s bones, but still… I’m going to forget all about that game’s runes after this.

One thing I’m wondering as I play Tears is if I am gonna find it enjoyable to replay from scratch. A lot of the early game is (very good) tutorial shrines. I’ve had a few where I’m like yeah yeah I get it. In some ways I could see breath of the wild being a game easier to go back to. But at the same time I have a bad memory so if I give it a few years it’ll pry all seem fresh to me anyway.  

• True 1

I don’t think I could ever replay BotW.  To big, too redundant.  Shrines and Divine Beasts aren’t memorable enough for me to want to relive it.

But this, I don’t know yet.  Like if there’s nutty things you can build to cheat it more, that could make another playthrough interesting after I don’t feel spoiled by it.

37 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

I don’t think I could ever replay BotW.  To big, too redundant.  Shrines and Divine Beasts aren’t memorable enough for me to want to relive it.

But this, I don’t know yet.  Like if there’s nutty things you can build to cheat it more, that could make another playthrough interesting after I don’t feel spoiled by it.

Spoiler

I will say that I was led to believe this game had traditional Zelda dungeons / temples, and from what I can tell they just remixed the divine beasts and called them temples. I reserve the right to be wrong if I just haven’t gotten to the real deal. Mild disappointment to me. 

4 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

We got Wind Waker 2 AND 3. They just didn't take place in the ocean anymore.

However, I'd love a TotK Zelda that took place on the ocean. Scrounge for materials, build your own ship, take to the sea.

The Spirit Tracks theme is one of the best video game songs ever. It’s so fucking good. 

I don't know. I seem to enjoy it a lot more when they surprise me. No more of the old formula for me, thanks. At most, gimme some more Link Between Worlds.

ToTK's systems remind me a lot of GMod, and that just gets me thinking how fucking ridiculously fun this game could be online. Probably something they considered but then remembered two critical faults:

1. The Switch can barely handle the game as is

2. They're Nintendo and don't know how the internet works

I didn’t write my wants.

Mainline games to continue down the current path of open, immersive with interesting hooks.

I’d also like smaller, more traditional experiences to release in between (most likely farmed out to a trusted developer) that is more akin to Links Awakening (remake) where the experience is tighter, shorter, and cheaper. 

22 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

I’m not opposed to remakes. I think OOT has good “bones” plot wise that if they wanted to turn it into a massive open world game I’d absolutely be all for it. 

I liked the 3DS nod to LTTP but it’d be great if they just went whole hog into something without the sort of pseudo remake they did. 

Give OoT the LA treatment with full graphical overhaul, tighter controls, and seamless overworld. But I'd also really love to see full voice acting.