Now it’s out, what do you want from the Zelda series moving forward?

gamer.tv

2 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Give OoT the LA treatment with full graphical overhaul, tighter controls, and seamless overworld. But I'd also really love to see full voice acting.

Playing it now it feels a little lifeless in the overworld. It was revolutionary in its time but it’s very mechanical feeling to me now. Here’s the main hub, here are some spokes, don’t stray too far (cuz there’s really nothing to do anyway). 

Don’t get me wrong I’d play it if they just refreshed it,  it I’d get really excited for a reimagining. 

• True 1

I want more focus on themed dungeons. I want every puzzle to feel different, look different, and sound different. When I hear the theme for a specific dungeon, it should transport me right back to that place.

That's a problem I have when video game scoring in general these days. Not to say the music is bad, but I cant listen to it and immediately be transported back the way I used to up until 2005 or so.

I used to think it was just my memory, but now I think it's because the scores have become too complex. You don't have as many easily identifiable hooks and melodies.

Play me a song from Breath of the Wild and I wouldn't be able to tell you where it's from. Play me a song from Ocarina of Time and I could tell you exactly what part of the game it's from. I can remember every hook from every song in that game. Starting from Twilight Princess, the music got too atmospheric and bland.

It's a case of the limited technology actually being a good thing.

• Halal 1

It's just a case of music being used differently in BoTW/TotK IMO.  The more adaptive a game's soundtrack is, the less melodies will loop in a way that sticks in your head.

TP doesn't have as much of a sense of place to its music due to the Twilight Realm being so prevalent.  But there are some tracks that can place you in a moment, such as when Midna gets sick.

I think SS's soundtrack might be one of the series' best.  There's plenty to distinguish between areas and dungeons (like the Sky overworld).  But also, the main theme is just stupidly catchy.

I never played Skyward Sword, so I can't speak to that one, but in general it's a shift in video game scoring as a whole. Could I hum a tune from Final Fantasy XV? Nope. I played that game for 80 hours. I couldn't hum a single track.

That's not to say ALL games are like that now. Falcom games still have great soundtracks. The Ys VIII soundtrack was stuck in my head for months after playing.

That's also not to say I think that's how all games should be. I just like when I can hear a song and immediately remember everything about where I was when I heard it. When a soundtrack gets overly atmospheric and complex, you lose that. And that sucks.

Maybe we just think of complexity as a different.  When I think of complex music I think about Ligeti, Rzewski, Sorabji, Messiaen, etc.  Basically modernist classical.

I don’t think most video games today have music that’s so complex to parse by comparison.  On second thought, maybe Twilight Princess can go there at times… but it’s still far from the norm.

I still think it’s more the adaptive soundtrack thing.  Which to be fair, is something gaming can do really well as a medium.