Florida to allow death penalty with 8-4 jury vote instead of unanimously

NW7HNNLKFVORZC52NLGDGDP43E.jpg
WWW.REUTERS.COM

Florida Governor Ron DeSantis is expected to sign a bill on Friday allowing juries to recommend the death penalty in capital cases on an 8-4 vote, a move spurred by...

Our dictator… sorry I mean governor began pushing for this once the Parkland shooter received a life sentence instead of capital punishment. Once this bill is signed into law Florida will become the only other state to do this other than Alabama.

Look, I’m sure most of us if not all would rather Nicholas Cruz to no longer be alive, whether directly by the hands of the justice system or from a poetic twist of faith (I’m the later), but using this situation to argue for no longing erring on the side of caution is bad, bad, bad.

Pro life my ass.

Given the recent scotus jurisprudence on the death penalty, where even actual innocence with evidence which may be exculpatory is not enough to save you from execution because of the “finality of justice” or some bullshit like that, you’d have to be the biggest dipshit alive to support the death penalty. 

• True 1
  • Hugs 1

2 hours ago, Kamusha said:

It’s funny how many self-described libertarians support the death penally. It‘s almost like it’s an incoherent ideology or something.

I wouldn't say I'm exactly pro-death penalty.  If the death penalty went away I suppose I wouldn't put up to much of a fuss. 

I do think it's interesting though that some people seem to have this opinion that:

1.  The death penalty is cruel and unusual

2. Life in prison is actually a much harsher sentence than execution.

If life in prison a worse sentence, doesn't that mean an innocent person who ends up dying of old age behind bars is actually in a worse position than an innocent person who is executed?

I think in order to hold opinion #1, you can't also hold opinion #2. 

Death penalty is such a hard question to really weigh…

these mass school shooters… majority of them plead insanity because to exercise that level of cruelty we all say “they must be insane”… but insane or not is there a recovery from that? redemption? It is a wasted life, so why maintain through incarceration? well death penalty is more expensive than incarceration they say… well if these folks are so “insane” and detached from society why bother with a “humane” death?

Honestly its a mess, just the concept of validating/justifying taking a life is insane but at the same time preserving one thats wasted and has no future…

8 hours ago, 5timechamp said:

Death penalty is such a hard question to really weigh…

these mass school shooters… majority of them plead insanity because to exercise that level of cruelty we all say “they must be insane”… but insane or not is there a recovery from that? redemption? It is a wasted life, so why maintain through incarceration? well death penalty is more expensive than incarceration they say… well if these folks are so “insane” and detached from society why bother with a “humane” death?

Honestly its a mess, just the concept of validating/justifying taking a life is insane but at the same time preserving one thats wasted and has no future…

This. I've said before, I'm ok with the death penalty in theory, but not in practice. School shooters deserve to die. I have no problem with those outcomes, I'm not against the state killing the worst offenders. 

The problem occurs when you just don't trust the state to apply it fairly, and there is definitely no reason to trust the state. 

My thought process is:

• The world is/would be better off with some people not in it
    • The state cannot be trusted to decide who these people are
    • The state can still achieve the same result by imprisoning these people
      • They still can't be trusted to get this right, but at least there is a chance of reversal with imprisonment
  • Halal 2

6 minutes ago, stepee said:

I thought the entire plan was we just send them all to Australia and I’m not sure why we aren’t just doing that.

Bad news, over the last century we became the new Australia! They've become more progressive and we've gone all Christian Dundee! 

If your Gospel isn't leading you to live peacefully with others, you've got  the wrong gospel

• Sad 1

On 4/22/2023 at 1:38 PM, Jason said:

Florida also just passed legislation that allows the death penalty for pedophilia. So definitely some 8-4 votes to execute drag queens coming. :/

Yeah, I don't much care about the lives of actual pedo's, I'd be fine just handing them over to families to deal with. Like seriously, I have no care for the life of an actual pedo. The problem is how this will be used makes it frightening. 

Florida is getting more fucked up by the month, but it's not hurting their popularity in the state. 

3 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

Yeah, I don't much care about the lives of actual pedo's, I'd be fine just handing them over to families to deal with. Like seriously, I have no care for the life of an actual pedo. The problem is how this will be used makes it frightening. 

Florida is getting more fucked up by the month, but it's not hurting their popularity in the state. 

But where do you draw the line for killing someone?

• Raping a child
  • Masturbating to pictures of naked children
  • Masturbating to drawings/cartoons of naked children
  • Having desires about children, but not acting on them in any way

And should we allow the state to draw that line?