US and Russia agree to swap Brittney Griner for arms dealer Viktor Bout.

5 minutes ago, nublood said:

A guy who supplied weapons to the Taliban and Al Qaeda for a freakin basketball player? Yea, it was a bad trade. But at least we got our basketball player back.

I have a hard time passing value judgment like this because if I was stuck in a Russian prison the idea that I wasn't "important" enough to be traded for another prisoner would cause me endless despair. I mean, I get it, but still.

5 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

It doesn't feel good to release a person with the title "Merchant of Death" but I'm glad she is headed home! 

Holy hell she must be fucking insane at 3-pointers to get a title like that.

• Haha 5
  • Halal 1

1 minute ago, Xbob42 said:

I have a hard time passing value judgment like this because if I was stuck in a Russian prison the idea that I wasn't "important" enough to be traded for another prisoner would cause me endless despair. I mean, I get it, but still.

Fair enough. But had that been you or me, we'd still be sitting there in endless despair.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, nublood said:

A guy who supplied weapons to the Taliban and Al Qaeda for a freakin basketball player? Yea, it was a bad trade. But at least we got our basketball player back.

Honestly it shouldn’t even matter. The US should try and get back its people in every circumstance regardless of “value”

• Halal 1

1 minute ago, nublood said:

Fair enough. But had that been you or me, we'd still be sitting there in endless despair.

Not me, I got Hunter's dick pics!

1 minute ago, Uaarkson said:

Honestly it shouldn’t even matter. The US should try and get back its people in every circumstance regardless of “value”

Yeah, this is more specifically what I meant.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

I agree, but if they had to release an arms dealer for Griner, I can't even imagine who we'll have to release to get the marine back. If that is even an option. 

• Halal 1

43 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Can WNBA teams afford to pay their players as much as their male NBA counterparts?  

They can afford to pay enough so that their star player doesn't have to be in this situation again.

Why Griner was in Russia in the first place is a question that the WNBA will have to answer. The league’s low salaries and minimal efforts towards player support have for years forced even its biggest stars to treat their time in the WNBA as a part-time job. The maximum WNBA salary in 2022 was just over $228,000, and players can make far more than that playing in leagues overseas. In 2015, Diana Taurasi was paid $1.5 million to skip the WNBA season entirely and play for UMMC Ekaterinburg, and Liz Cambage recently revealed that she has made “five to eight times” as much money playing overseas than she has in the WNBA.

The WNBA and the players recently signed a new CBA which contained some improvements meant to reduce the need for players to spend their offseasons playing outside the U.S., but the larger structures that got the league to this point remain in place. As Cambage has wisely pointed out, it’s absurd for the league to be set up in such a way that a prized head coach like Becky Hammon can sign a $1 million contract while the salaries of the best players in the league are artificially capped at less than a quarter of that amount. It is equally absurd when the league responds to a billionaire team owner springing for charter flights in order to keep his players happy by fining that owner $500,000 and threatening to terminate his franchise.

GettyImages-1346467885.jpg
DEFECTOR.COM

The New York Times reported yesterday that WNBA star Brittney Griner, who was playing for UMMC Ekaterinburg in Russia during the WNBA offseason, has been detained by Russian authorities on drug charges. The Times report followed a statement from the Russian Federal Customs Service, which said that an American basketball player had been detained after […]

1 hour ago, mclumber1 said:

Yeah this trade potentially gives Russia more leverage for future prisoner swaps.  

Seems like something Russia could easily take advantage of and lie about.  Any American with significance comes through their airport, "Oh look you magically have weed vape cartridges in your bag, you're going to jail until we can work out a trade".  

2 hours ago, CayceG said:

They can afford to pay enough so that their star player doesn't have to be in this situation again.

GettyImages-1346467885.jpg
DEFECTOR.COM

The New York Times reported yesterday that WNBA star Brittney Griner, who was playing for UMMC Ekaterinburg in Russia during the WNBA offseason, has been detained by Russian authorities on drug charges. The Times report followed a statement from the Russian Federal...

I realize that this isn't the issue so don't @ me, bro :p, but I'd be totally fine playing basketball for $228,000/year.  :p

The average WNBA team is worth maybe 30 million dollars. The least valuable teams are probably worth 15ish million.

There likely is no NBA team worth less than 1.2-1.3 billion

NBA players make what they make through collective bargaining. The players get 50% (or 52% or whatever it is now) of the league's estimated revenue, which then becomes the salary cap.

The NBA made $8.8 billion in the last pre-COVID season. The WNBA made $50 million.

That's why WNBA players play overseas during the offseason.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, nublood said:

Do you have a spreadsheet of Wins Above Replacement for prisoners? Can I see it?

37 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I don’t understand the level of hatred this woman gets. Every time I see an article about her, the comments are horrific.

She's a woman and a black woman and elite athlete. I can see many reasons people would make horrific comments about her. People are shitty.