"Naked Gun" is being rebooted and the new Frank Drebin is....Liam Neeson

I guess this could work?

One of Hollywood’s classic slapstick comedy franchises is looking to make its way back to the big screens as sources tell Deadline Paramount Pictures is moving forward with a new Naked Gun reboot. Liam Neeson is in negotiations to star and Akiva Schaffer set to direct.

Dan Gregor and Doug Mand, who just worked with Schaffer on the Emmy-winning Chip n Dale: Rescue Rangers pic, also closed a deal to pen the script. Mark Hentemann & Alec Sulkin wrote the previous draft. Schaffer will also exec produce.

Seth MacFarlane and Erica Huggins are producing via their company Fuzzy Door. Plot details are being kept under wraps except that Neeson may be playing the son of officer Frank Derbin instead of stepping into the role made famous by Leslie Nielsen.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to "Naked Gun" is being rebooted and the new Frank Drebin is....Liam Neeson

I’m sorry but they should of gone with Jon Hamm for the lead. I like the directing choice and the guys nailed it for the Rescue Rangers movie in writing. Just wish we had Hamm in the lead. Although I hope they get someone like Marshawn Lynch or Big Papi to play Nordberg 

Edit Note:

Bryan Cranston would of been another choice along with Hamm

• Like 1

It's a weird comic role though. The character is played 100% completely straight to the point of absurdity.

I was a huge fan of the TV show, and then also the 1st movie... even though it featured a lot of recycled content from the TV show... but at this point, I dunno. I feel like the magic is all gone.

No Zuckers or Abraham involved? (not that their names mean much these days anyway)

Just do something new. Why?

People know that Leslie Neilson wasn’t a comedic actor until very late in his career right? He played mostly villains. So hating on Liam Neeson becasue he hasn’t done much comedy is kind of a dumb take. 

I’ve missed these kind of completely stupid pun based comedies. But if anyone can bring it back it’s the Lonely Island guys. 

• Halal 2

Eh thinking on it, it's probably destined be cringe based on the casting choice alone honestly.  Spoof movies always hold up terribly, especially when they're starring actors not known for comedic roles at the time.  Remember Loaded Weapon 1?  Is this still fun?  Idk man

• Like 1

I can see it. 

3 hours ago, silentbob said:

I’m sorry but they should of gone with Jon Hamm for the lead. I like the directing choice and the guys nailed it for the Rescue Rangers movie in writing. Just wish we had Hamm in the lead. Although I hope they get someone like Marshawn Lynch or Big Papi to play Nordberg 

Edit Note:

Bryan Cranston would of been another choice along with Hamm

Firstly, it's should've, which is a contraction of should have; "should of" makes no sense. Secondly, why Jon Hamm? I think I've seen his name pop up for this sort of thing before (maybe it was here and you), and while he can do comedy, I'm not sure I could see him in this sort of thing. Still a bit too young I think. 

25 minutes ago, Brick said:

I can see it. 

Firstly, it's should've, which is a contraction of should have; "should of" makes no sense. Secondly, why Jon Hamm? I think I've seen his name pop up for this sort of thing before (maybe it was here and you), and while he can do comedy, I'm not sure I could see him in this sort of thing. Still a bit too young I think. 

He can play the part straight face and yet keep it funny. You just need to see him on Saturday Night Live and especially 30 Rock. God bless YouTube and other people putting this shit together

17 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Bless YOU! I've been wracking my brain trying to remember the name of this criminally underrated, short lived series :cheers:

The first season was when it was at its best. I'm pretty sure they ran out of cocaine going into season 2 because it really did lose steam as it went along. Still funnier than a lot of TV and one of the best examples of spoof comedy without devolving into "the joke is that we're reminding you of this other thing".

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, silentbob said:

He can play the part straight face and yet keep it funny. You just need to see him on Saturday Night Live and especially 30 Rock. God bless YouTube and other people putting this shit together

Maybe they could get him as a partner, or the new, younger detective at odds with Neeson as a rival. 

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, MarSolo said:

If they can get Denzel in here somehow, another guy who doesn’t ever do comedy, it’d be even better.

It is interesting that Denzel has only done like 6 comedy or comedy-adjacent films in his entire career, the most recent one being 2 Guns from 2013 (before that it was The Preacher's Wife in 1996), the other 4 were 30 years ago or older. He was pretty funny in 2 Guns (not a memorable movie though), he should do more comedies. 

I like when a thread like this pops up and I completely forgot it ever existed and I'm going through it reading, sorta formulating in my head what I'm going to add as I read down... and then BOOM, I scroll past my own post, that I don't even remember making and it already basically says what I wanted to say... good times...

• Halal 1