The White House is zeroing in on its student debt action.

I actually think the military is a great alternative to college for young adults.  Not every job in the military requires you to handle weapons or do incredibly dangerous activities - the only time I had to fire a gun in my 10 years in the Navy was during boot camp.  The OTJ training is sometimes transferrable for college credit, and the reimbursement for college while on active duty is pretty good too.  The post-service GI Bill benefits are top notch.  

The military isn't for everyone, of course.  But if you aren't a complete punk-ass you might be able to cut it.  

4 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

I actually think the military is a great alternative to college for young adults.  Not every job in the military requires you to handle weapons or do incredibly dangerous activities - the only time I had to fire a gun in my 10 years in the Navy was during boot camp.  The OTJ training is sometimes transferrable for college credit, and the reimbursement for college while on active duty is pretty good too.  The post-service GI Bill benefits are top notch.  

The military isn't for everyone, of course.  But if you aren't a complete punk-ass you might be able to cut it.  

I mean yeah, that military industrial complex isn’t gonna volunteer itself into existence unless they offer up some competitive options versus the private sector. 

One of the reasons the age for recruitment will never increase to 21 in a million years is specifically because basically no one would ever join the military again (or very few people). By the time you're 21, you most likely have some kind of life and giving it all up to join the service seems like not as great of an idea.

That being said, the military is a great option for a lot of people. There are even a lot of doctors and dentists who will join the military because the military will wipe out their medical school debt in exchange for [x] years of service, and they start as officers automatically in addition to getting housing provided (actual houses, mostly) and not getting paid like shit.

18 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Not really sure why this would be a compelling argument when the current round of loan forgiveness is going to virtually nobody in the military right now or thinking about the military right now.

Who voted against the PACT act again?

Get rekt!

we’re not pawns for you faux patriotism you treasonous fucks.

Maybe young Americans are seeing you vote against veterans healthcare and decide, hey fuck that noise. I’ll just go work for Target.

2 hours ago, PaladinSolo said:
NEWS.GALLUP.COM

After hitting a new low in July, President Joe Biden's job approval rating is up six points to 44%, mostly because of independents' higher approval.

Election 2020 Hello GIF by Joe Biden

Oh, so are you telling me independents with student loan debt actually made a difference when Biden did something about this issue? I feel like some told me this wasn't that important for his approval rating . . . :p 

1 minute ago, Greatoneshere said:

Oh, so are you telling me independents with student loan debt actually made a difference when Biden did something about this issue? I feel like some told me this wasn't that important for his approval rating . . . :p 

Well this poll was done before the loan forgiveness, ended on the 23rd.

• True 1