The White House is zeroing in on its student debt action.

I have to look, but greatoneshere isn't entirely wrong. I don't think it's why Biden has a low approval rating to begin with (it started to decrease during the Delta wave and dropped after the Taliban took over Afghanistan, then inflation became much more apparent even if it's a global issue and not exclusive to the U.S.), but young people's approval of Biden hovers around 40-something percent, similar to the country. And education is a big concern for them:

IOP.HARVARD.EDU

, April 25, 2022 A national poll released today by the Institute of Politics at Harvard Kennedy School indicates that while 18-to-29-year-olds are on track to match 2018’s record-breaking youth turnout in a midterm election this November and prefer Democratic control 55%-34%, there was a sharp increase in youth believing that “political involvement rarely has tangible

They don't support a total cancellation of debt, however -- that's at 38% support for young voters. It's less than majority support even from young Democrats.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if the +3 jump in Biden's approval has a modest increase in youth approval after the Inflation Reduction Act passed, which deals with climate change, an issue young voters have to deal with.

And I wouldn't be surprised if his approval goes up from young voters alone after cancelling $10k.

• Halal 1

7 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Calling it his “Achilles heel” IS entirely wrong :p 

Well duh on Achilles heel :p, but I understand his point about his low approval with young people. Obama had that at some points, but at many points of his presidency when his approval rating was less than 50, young voters were still overall with him.

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

If you believe this, it just tells what sorts of circles you run in :p 

This is not the issue this board thinks it is, and why people here can’t imagine $10k being a great move even aside from the politics of it.

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

Well duh on Achilles heel :p, but I understand his point about his low approval with young people. Obama had that at some points, but at many points of his presidency when his approval rating was less than 50, young voters were still overall with him.

I mean I'm clearly being hyperbolic saying Achilles heel (and a person can have more than one!) but I do see this and inflation as two big reasons for his currently low approval rating. He's handling inflation, so it's time to handle student loan debt. Not saying there aren't numerous other issues of concern, only that I think this one is underrated in terms of polling approval.

These loans aren't free for Biden to forgive. What are the politics that defend forgiving the debt for someone that earns more than 125k/yr? Something that all taxpayers get put on the hook for?

Keeping in mind that this is just generalized debt relief. The fact that that's happening is fucking amazing! Forgiving the debt of defrauded debtors is a no brainer, but this is huge. But the fact is that much student debt relief has already happened and in amounts greater than 10k.

i have a few k left after i stopped paying since the pause was put in place. would be nice to just be done with it. hopefully it’s a flat 10k if you’re under the income and not some bs “you have to make 100+ payments to qualify”or something. 

It's fine, I guess. I would also rather that either the interest rate was entirely nuked or fixed at inflation (though I don't know if that's something in his power, to be fair). To be clear, that's not for me -- I already paid by my student loans, but we should be doing what we can to encourage education, and saddling people with debt isn't helping.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Anathema- said:

I don't disagree but you don't get there through executive actions on debt relief and half measures could easily and obviously backfire.

"Hey everyone, here's <popular thing> I did via executive order, give me a bigger Congressional majority so I can go bigger and make it permanent"

vs

"Oh gee our hands our tied until you vote harder"

• Like 1
  • True 1

8 hours ago, Jason said:

"Hey everyone, here's <popular thing> I did via executive order, give me a bigger Congressional majority so I can go bigger and make it permanent"

vs

"Oh gee our hands our tied until you vote harder"

There isn't a majority of people who support full student loan forgiveness.  You don't get to free college from there because yes you actually will piss a ton of people off and fuck over a ton more.

What happens when Biden signs debt relief, the cost of all schooling goes up, and then Congress doesn't just turn around and make college free next year?

You've got your head stuck in the clouds. Let's get back to reality. 

29 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

Literally how many people out there have tens of thousands of dollars of student loan debt, make over 125k, and need their loans forgiven? Who are these people?

Raises hand… I have a sixth vacation to go on this year ok! This is the difference between full and half board. You can’t expect me to travel on half board only; that’s cruel!

If I learned anything about to how to be a true American during Covid it’s this.

“Fuck you I got mine “

1 minute ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Giving a handout to university grads sounds like a pretty regressive tax action, whether it needs congressional approval or not.

Good thing there’s a cap on income for people who qualify, and apparently greater forgiveness for people who got need based grants/aid while in college

I’m really curious how this will work out re: pell grants. I qualified for them every year while my wife might have qualified for a year or two max. Not sure, it’s been a decade!

but can she use some of my forgiveness that I don’t need because my federal loans zero out with only the 10k? Cause if so whew man all of our federal student loans would be dunzo. 

24 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Good thing there’s a cap on income for people who qualify, and apparently greater forgiveness for people who got need based grants/aid while in college

$125k.  I'm glad they are limiting it to the people truly in need.  How do you afford food if you only make $90k per year?

Just now, TUFKAK said:

It’s not like cost of living cities are a thing or anything too.

100k is poor in SF.

“YoU dOnT hAvE tO LiVe In Sf Or CaLiFoNiA” like the cost of living isn’t skyrocketing in every metro anyway. The Bay Area is just looking into the future for cost of living for the rest of the country. 

“but what about the poor??” Ok tell congress to do something about it. The CTC cut childhood poverty by half in the year it was active and if Brandon could do that with executive action it would 100% already be done. 

there’s always money to cut taxes for ski doo dealers but none for people who have fewer than two homes apparently 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

The median personal income is $44,225, the median family income is $63,214.

If you're giving cash handouts to people, perhaps limiting it to people who make less than average would be the good start for a cap.

Lol