The White House is zeroing in on its student debt action.

4 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

“YoU dOnT hAvE tO LiVe In Sf Or CaLiFoNiA” like the cost of living isn’t skyrocketing in every metro anyway. The Bay Area is just looking into the future for cost of living for the rest of the country. 

“but what about the poor??” Ok tell congress to do something about it. The CTC cut childhood poverty by half in the year it was active and if Brandon could do that with executive action it would 100% already be done. 

there’s always money to cut taxes for ski doo dealers but none for people who have fewer than two homes apparently 

The owner class in neo-liberalism has to get theirs.

1 minute ago, mclumber1 said:

San Francisco is expensive for a number of reasons - but to think that what is being experienced in SF will happen in every corner of America is just silly.

Pricing out the working class and the locals via gentrification?

my dude, that is absolutely happening everywhere that those like me are moving to. In my hospital, the non healthcare providers are all commuting via BART 50 miles on average because, hospitality, food services, security etc can’t afford to live near the hospital.

Just now, CitizenVectron said:

People who complain about rich people also benefiting from public money pretty much secretly oppose the public money for the poor to begin with, and just use "the rich shouldn't also benefit!" as a cover.

I’d argue people like me aren’t rich, but this too.

3 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

People who complain about rich people also benefiting from public money pretty much secretly oppose the public money for the poor to begin with, and just use "the rich shouldn't also benefit!" as a cover.

Oppose giving money to the poor, and approve giving more money to the actual wealthy with tax cuts.

12 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

San Francisco is expensive for a number of reasons - but to think that what is being experienced in SF will happen in every corner of America is just silly.

Housing costs increasing due to government mandated supply restraints is most acutely felt in SF (largely due to geographic constraints but it’s also the global center of the high tech economy) but it’s the same story everywhere. Austin and Tampa seeing 30+% annual rent increases isn’t for shits and giggles. Strange to see a libertarian of all people gloss over this when it’s an absolute poster child for inane government intervention in markets!

12 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

The poor, in general, aren't benefitting from this.  "The poor", for the most part, don't have student loans (or at least, have them at a far smaller rate than any other group).  This is largely going to a very specific middle class demographic.

The U.S. has a fucked up way of educating it's people, and this is another example of spending money that does almost nothing to fix the problem and doesn't target the money at people in the most need.

• Haha 1

Anyway your fellow travelers will take this to court where, surprise surprise, the wholly made up “major questions doctrine” will strike down the whole thing so that no one gets any benefit including the poor who “aren’t benefitting from this” so save your Canadian crocodile tears as literally millions of people will be in no better position and you’ll no doubt be giving cover for the ruling

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Anyway your fellow travelers will take this to court where, surprise surprise, the wholly made up “major questions doctrine” will strike down the whole thing so that no one gets any benefit including the poor who “aren’t benefitting from this”

Can we get five minutes to celebrate dammit!

I could be wrong, but there is also a lot of student loan debt held by people who never graduated. A real double whammy of debt repayment with nothing to show an employer for it. Many (most?) in this cohort are lower income people both at the time they took out the loans and remain so today.

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I could be wrong, but there is also a lot of student loan debt held by people who never graduated. A real double whammy of debt repayment with nothing to show an employer for it. Many (most?) in this cohort are lower income people both at the time they took out the loans and remain so today.

This is true. Happened to my brother, went to college just before his schizophrenia started to take hold. This is very much an outlier case but there are tons of people I know of who went, took out loans, and dropped out before graduation

I swear Biden can’t do anything to please some of you. Any step in the right direction should be applauded and celebrated. After that, we can see if there is more that can be done. Captain Joe is navigating this broken, leaky ship in a fucking hurricane. Dude has been raking these past few months. Give the man credit when it’s due.

I Mean Joe Biden GIF

• Like 1
  • True 3

1 minute ago, TUFKAK said:

This is why liberals lose 

I think it's important (and healthy) for parties/movements to allow criticism from the inside; it's not a bad thing for progressives to demand more from Biden, in terms of pushing for more debt relief. At the same time, publicly any debt relief should be celebrated. Anyone who criticizes but doesn't acknowledge the positives is a moron, but also anyone who celebrates the positives but gets angry at any criticism is also a moron.

My opinion is that this move is a great thing, but it also should be going further.