The White House is zeroing in on its student debt action.

7 minutes ago, Jason said:

Nothing stopping him from doing a more popular number though. And without the means testing. 

I’m one who will be assed out by the means testing but I still support this. At higher incomes student debt isn’t an anchor, I could pay it off tomorrow but I’m putting the money to better use elsewhere.

Not many are in my position though so if this is what it takes to help people so be it.

This is like giving everyone in America $10—sure it adds up to a lot, but it's almost pointless for the vast majority. $10k reduction in loans without reducing the interest rate doesn't do a lot for the majority of borrowers. If he's too afraid to eliminate the loans entirely, then it would be better to reduce the interest to 0% rather than just eliminate $10k off the top.

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

This is like giving everyone in America $10—

There are thousands of people who are about to get their debt wiped clean. But if you’d like to tell them that that would be equivalent to being handed a $10 bill, then by all means.

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

3 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

There are thousands of people who are about to get their debt wipes clean. But if you’d like to tell them that that would be equivalent to being handed a $10 bill, then by all means.

I for one will no longer have any federal debt. My wife will have about $12k. I only had about a year left on my federal loans before covid. Private loans I think I’ve got like $8k but the payments and interest are low on those so they’re not a priority for me to pay off right now. 

4 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

This is like giving everyone in America $10—sure it adds up to a lot, but it's almost pointless for the vast majority. 

This is very false 😂

9 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

The people who are feverishly demanding 100% relief for all loans are weird.

Post-secondary should be free or heavily subsidized by the government to begin with. AND those universities should be funded and run at arms-length by the government (as independent institutions). Private universities shouldn't be a thing.

1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

Post-secondary should be free or heavily subsidized by the government to begin with. AND those universities should be funded and run at arms-length by the government (as independent institutions). Private universities shouldn't be a thing.

I don't disagree but you don't get there through executive actions on debt relief and half measures could easily and obviously backfire.

3 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I disagree with the last point.

17 minutes ago, Joe said:

I don't think this is fair. Doing something good when there are clear policy proposals that would effectively do even more and calling a thing out for both is just being smart and objective. Last time I checked, we can be happy something good is happening while also demanding more at the same time because there is room to improve. As Biden loves to say, one can walk and chew gum at the same time.

I can, for instance, say I really like the Inflation Reduction Act, while saying at the same time it was incredibly neutered thanks to two DINO's. 

Edit: just watch, the minute the $10k is lifted and millenials see that, his poll numbers will shoot up. They did after killing Al-Qaeda's leader and passing IRA. This will too. In fact, I'd argue that student loan debt has been Biden's Achilles heel in terms of approval rating. Graduate college millenials like me (though I thankfully have no debt) have been tired of paying out the ass years after our education is finished, without necessarily guaranteed high paying jobs to compensate for it. He at least begins to take steps to resolve that with something like this, the turnaround in the midterms will be beautiful to see unfold.

• Halal 2

43 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Obviously I am massively exaggerating, as I am wont to do; $10k off everyone's loans is a fantastic thing. But it's a drop in the bucket to what should be done, or even compared to setting everyone's interest to 0%.

Bro, that was more than exaggeration; it was straight up bullshit. :p 

• Sicko 1

30 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

In fact, I'd argue that student loan debt has been Biden's Achilles heel in terms of approval rating. 

If you believe this, it just tells what sorts of circles you run in :p 

This is not the issue this board thinks it is, and why people here can’t imagine $10k being a great move even aside from the politics of it.