2331.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Experts say heatwaves happening earlier and more often as temperatures hit highs not normally recorded until July or August

A second extreme heat event of the year is searing Spain and southern France, with temperatures hitting highs not normally recorded until July or August and experts warning summer heatwaves are happening earlier and more often.

The French state forecaster, Météo France, said temperatures had already exceeded 35C close to the Mediterranean and would rise further from midweek as the hot air mass moved northwards, with parts of the south-west and Rhone valley reaching 39C.

Even in Alsace, Brittany and the greater Paris region, temperatures were expected to reach – and in some areas significantly exceed – 30C, the forecaster Patrick Galois said, adding that the French capital could hit 35C on Thursday.

Galois said such events “very rarely” occurred in June and then only at the end of the month. “If this episode is confirmed, it will be a record in terms of how early it has occurred,” he said. Previous extreme temperature episodes in June, such as in 2005 and 2017, had not begun to develop before at least the 18th of the month, he said.

4936.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Temperature topped 110F on four consecutive days and has not fallen below 80F at night-time for the past week in the Arizona city, breaking several records

After a record-breaking daytime temperature in Phoenix last Friday, the onset of night offered little relief from the sweltering heat. As the clock struck midnight it was still a staggering 100F (38C) outside and just a few degrees cooler inside 60-year-old Sarepta Jackson’s home.

Jackson lay naked and as still as possible on the bed next to an old portable air conditioning unit in the bedroom window, but couldn’t relax or get comfortable. She eventually got up around 2am to make rice and beans for the following day because the air conditioner and electrical appliances won’t run together, so it’s too hot to cook during the day.

“This heat is miserable, my body can’t take it,” said Jackson, who has high blood pressure and diabetes, and last year suffered a stroke after overheating.

The overnight low on Friday was a suffocating 90F – the first time it stayed so hot so early in the season according to the national weather service (NWS) . This broke the previous overnight record for 10 June by a staggering 5F.

It hasn't really been hot here but the humidity has been sitting at 85-90% which is still pretty miserable without central A/C, the relative humidity has also been hitting 100% overnight—60° but 100% humidity still means any sweat at all has nowhere to go. I set my floor unit back up after putting it away for the winter and it's pulling a fuckton of water out of the air just running in dehumidifier mode.

34 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:
2331.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Experts say heatwaves happening earlier and more often as temperatures hit highs not normally recorded until July or August

4936.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Temperature topped 110F on four consecutive days and has not fallen below 80F at night-time for the past week in the Arizona city, breaking several records

Maybe moving to Arizona was a bad idea. It ain't even cheap anymore. 

• Sad 1

It’s August weather here in Houston during mid-June. Normally we would still have upper 80s/lower 90s highs, but the highs are all 96-98 right now. And it is Houston, so 1 million percent humidity. Thankful for AC. 

king of the hill GIF

Will never forget the week in New Orleans me and my sister did almost 8 years ago today. Couldn’t get any cool air whatsoever with +100f by 8am with the humidity, and roughly high 130’s to even mid 140f by mid afternoon. That sweat just beaded on my harm, swipe it off, bead right back up. Although it made the rest of my Southern Ontario summer bearable in comparison. 

Gonna add just a little more doom to the thread:

WWW.THELANCET.COM

A growing body of research suggests that rising temperature increases some violent crimes, such as intentional homicides,sex offences, and assaults. In a retrospective study in seven US cities, every 5°C rise in daily mean temperature between 2007 and 2017 was associated with a 4·5% increase in sex offences in the following 0–8 days. A nationwide analysis in Japan between 2012 and 2015 found that ambulance transports due to assault increased linearly with the rise in daily temperatures. Violent incidents also showed a seasonal distribution by which most crimes happened in the summer or hot seasons than in winter. Hence, interpersonal violence in hot weather is likely to continue and increase in the future with increasing temperature due to climate change. In a 2014 paper, Matthew Ranson found that there could be an additional 22 000 murders, 1·2 million aggravated assaults, and 2·3 million simple assaults because of climate change in the USA by the end of this century as compared with 2010.

It's 104 degrees in France today. 

Yeah it's 95 in New Orleans today. It's one of those "walk outside and immediatley start sweating" kind of days. Yesterday was like that, too.

At least everyone here has air conditioning. The worst part of when it hit like 120 in Portland a while back was all the people from Arizona being like "quit whining it's not that bad." Everyone in Phoenix has air conditioning. Only 25-50% of buildings in Portland have AC. So when it gets that hot, there's nowhere to hide.

Made the mistake to do the steamboat down the Mississippi on the hottest day me and my sister were down in the French Quarters. Fuck there was no breeze and the boat was nothing but metal. Then we went up canal st to see the cemeteries. The heat was bad but the humidity on top of that was insane. Could swipe beads of sweat off your arm and it’s wet again almost right after. Thank god for the A/C in the hotel and some restaurants we visited. 

16 minutes ago, silentbob said:

Made the mistake to do the steamboat down the Mississippi on the hottest day me and my sister were down in the French Quarters. Fuck there was no breeze and the boat was nothing but metal. Then we went up canal st to see the cemeteries. The heat was bad but the humidity on top of that was insane. Could swipe beads of sweat off your arm and it’s wet again almost right after. Thank god for the A/C in the hotel and some restaurants we visited. 

Can't wipe the sweat off when the back of your hand is also covered in sweat.

• True 1