Resident Evil 4 Remake - Information Thread, update: 6.48 million units sold (fastest-selling game in series history)

12 minutes ago, legend said:

Short answer: it's an image upscaler.

Slightly longer answer:

Rendering 4K images is taxing on GPUs.

DLSS renders the game at a lower resolution and using Deep Neural Networks up-scales the lower res image to 4K. The deep net has been trained on a lot and lots of images and so it's quite good at guessing what the additional pixels should be. Ultimately, you get a 4K image that looks quite close to as if it was rendered at 4K, but the whole process is much less taxing on the GPU. That translates into 4K gameplay with high frame rates.

AND it removes aliasing as part of the process so in “quality” mode, the upscaled image is arguably superior to native 4k since you would have to add a taxing AA method of 4-8x to achieve the quality :angry-fap-small:

• Thanks 1
  • True 2

24 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Then yea, that's good for you pc snobs!

Reveal hidden contents

If we're lucky, consoles will eventually get something similar! In fact, I'm confident they will, but I'm not sure if it will make it into this gen or not :p 

• Halal 1

I don't think I saw this posted, but Capcom and Nippon Animation have been doing one-minute RE4 animated episodes that are quite fun and cute (and violent). I've been enjoying them, three are out right now. They have that old school "Anne of Green Gables" animated feel from the 1960's-1970's from what I can tell.

Here is my review of REmake4.

Might as well get it out of the way before even playing the game so I don't fill the thread with negativity despite enjoying the game well enough.

zp-resident-evil-4-remake-2023.jpg?fit=1
WWW.ESCAPISTMAGAZINE.COM

This week on Zero Punctuation, Yahtzee reviews the 2023 Resident Evil 4 remake. For more major games Yahtz has reviewed lately, check out Metroid Prime Remastered, Atomic Heart, Hogwarts Legacy, Dead Space (2023), Hi-Fi Rush, and Forspoken. And check out Yahtzee’s other series, Extra Punctuation, where he’s recently talked about the death of the live-service model and the end of silent protagonists. Want to watch...

15 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

It'd be funny if they do a complete 180 and everything after the village is intense terrifying horror.

The Horror vibe that OG RE1 had was still to this day the best! I think the control added to the suspense too. As someone who has been a fan since day one, and I love the remakes, RE1 original is by far the scariest as in Horror. I miss that dearly!

Played this for a couple hours this morning on Xbox since you can swap timezones to New Zealand easily.  It is staggeringly good.  Anybody with any sort of affinity for the original game is going to be blown away I think.  Playing on Hardcore (which is recommended if you've beaten the first game), I was absolutely stunned by the village section and what comes shortly after.  Very excited to hear everyone's impressions, but so far this is even more of a dagger-to-the-heart nostalgia bomb than RE2, with some of, if not the best feeling gameplay in the series.

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 1

18 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

@Xbob42 @stepee @Mr.Vic20 @legend

Modders added DLSS to RE4

I spent the last hour or so fiddling around with this (for RE3). There are a lot of different versions of the REFramework and not all of them have the upscaler option. But once i hunted down the version with the upscaler in it (I used this one) it worked wonderfully!

• Hugs 1

19 minutes ago, nublood said:

I’m kinda set on the PS5 version in spite of it being the worst looking version. Dualsense over the Xbox controller is a no brainer for me. But I mean, it can’t look that much worse…can it?

Same boat. It'll look fine. The demo looked very good imo.

24 minutes ago, nublood said:

I’m kinda set on the PS5 version in spite of it being the worst looking version. Dualsense over the Xbox controller is a no brainer for me. But I mean, it can’t look that much worse…can it?

Really? You prefer Dualsense to the Series X controller?

I would love to be able to use my xbox controllers on ps5 lol

7 hours ago, ShreddieMercury said:

Played this for a couple hours this morning on Xbox since you can swap timezones to New Zealand easily.  It is staggeringly good.  Anybody with any sort of affinity for the original game is going to be blown away I think.  Playing on Hardcore (which is recommended if you've beaten the first game), I was absolutely stunned by the village section and what comes shortly after.  Very excited to hear everyone's impressions, but so far this is even more of a dagger-to-the-heart nostalgia bomb than RE2, with some of, if not the best feeling gameplay in the series.

This is how I want to feel. Though I'd add that I do hope it doesn't invalidate the original. I think it's a testament to this wave of Remakes that I still feel true fans should play the originals and remakes.

Or in other words I want it to replace my playthroughs of the original but it probably won't and I hope it's still an experience worth having. 

6 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Really? You prefer Dualsense to the Series X controller?

I would love to be able to use my xbox controllers on ps5 lol

Hard disagree there man. Dualsense is better at everything except battery life. And I swear if the input lag on Xbox controllers is pretty noticeable in comparison. Not to mention the xbox controller feels like cheap plastic in comparison and is just too darn clickety clacky. Friggin noisy controller. lol

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, nublood said:

Hard disagree there man. Dualsense is better at everything except battery life. And I swear if the input lag on Xbox controllers is pretty noticeable in comparison. Not to mention the xbox controller feels like cheap plastic in comparison and is just too darn clickety clacky. Friggin noisy controller. lol

NO WAY does xbox have worst input lag than Dualsense. That's one reason the xbox controller is generally preferred for shooters, they feel quicker, snappier. 

30 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I absolutely prefer the dualsense over the Xbox controller. The haptic feedback is so fuckin good. 

The adaptive triggers are awful, and offset sticks are so much better. 

• Sicko 1

Never been a huge fan of the Playstation Controllers, but the PS5 one is pretty amazing. Pretty big, tight sticks, nice triggers and bumpers. Way better than what the ps2 and ps3 had. Touch pad button is meh tho. 

I'd say the biggest flaw of an xbox controller is the bumpers. A bit too clicky. Wish they had a softer press, make them slightly trigger like. I also prefer the tighter sticks of the ps5 controller. Xbox feels a bit too loose after playing with a ps5 controller.

I’m just bored with the xbox pad now, it’s been pretty much the exact same forever. It’s fine, but new controllers are part of a new generation to me, and Sony delivered there this time with dualsense. It’s a very high quality feeling controller and I love all the haptic stuff myself.

I plug it in to the pc when a game makes really good use of the dualsense features but I really wish they would release drivers or a dongle or whatever to make all the features work on pc wirelessly. I would happily make a dualsense edge my new gamepad if they would make pc support official, full drivers so it just works in all games and the full feature set wireless.

As it is I don’t want an elite 2 because it’s old at this point and I don’t want to pay premium for a controller that is behind in haptics and has no unique feature of its own, Sony isn’t rushing to make any pc drivers, and no third party has tried doing their own dualsense like pc gamepad so I just use a razer wolverine tournament edition on pc until someone comes out with something that doesn’t feel like a bad buy as a new pc controller. 

8 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Since it's crunch time I just did what I should have done before and had PC and PS5 versions running side by side. And my god the PS5 is SUPER muddy compared to the PC. 

Also to answer your question from before 2080ti

An "old" card but still able to handle a lot of games at high settings 4k :o

Ya I think some people even get away with like 6700XT like cards at 4k. The bleeding high end is really more for you choice of ultra settings or high maybe low to hit higher refresh rate targets then 60. 

I wonder what 300FPS Total Warhammer 3 would look like on a 32:9 OLED. 

Well I just  bought the Deluxe Edition for 69.99 for Series X and it's downloading everything NOW. I was hoping it would Pre-load. Not sure I'll get to it as it's still 2 hours till Midnight here pacific-time but excited to have this game, Couldn't do it for PC this time, though I'm sure the 2080ti is still quite capable, I just had to have it on the 83" LGC1 Oled. Also sucks as I refuse to play these games unless it's pitch dark outside and the sound turned way up. Bad combo for my neighbours but really good for me. I'm sure the visuals will be pretty good but Sound is by far the most important element when gaming.

18 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Mine's ready to go. Didn't think it would actually be 54 gigs (2 and 3 are around 20) but it is! :o

I didn't think it was coming out at midnight. I am installing now. Didn't think it would unlock until the afternoon tomorrow.

59 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Sigh, GMG is fucked. Been trying for an hour to access my key and the site is broke. 

There was another game that came out recently and GMG also had a delay in getting that out as well.

• Hugs 1

So, I bought thru steam instead of thru GMG.

I was worried that the main game might run worse than the demo and it would be unplayable.

That I would need to refund it so I could buy it on PS5.

But unless something changes majorly, the main game is just as smooth as the demo if not smoother.