Resident Evil 4 Remake - Information Thread, update: 6.48 million units sold (fastest-selling game in series history)

I played CV at launch and I remember beating and even kinda liking it, but man is it bad in a lot of ways. A proper full-on remake would greatly benefit the game. I don't think its cheese (fuckin' STEVE) works quite as well as RE4's and there's a lot of weird tedious backtracking. Some of it very unintuitive. I feel like most other RE games you can intuit where to go pretty easily, maybe get a little lost every once in a while but you're kind of always on the right track. I think in CV you could get really lost and I think you could also basically ruin your save at a point or two if you did especially poorly.

So while it's not my favorite RE game by a country mile, I also think that's why it's the best candidate (aside from maybe 0?) for a remake that can clean up the flaws.

• Halal 2

4 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

giphy.gif

Meme all you want, but if some of these bosses were fought in first person and in VR it would be spooky if you hadn't played RE4 before. I mean, if you have played RE4 a bunch you have played the horror out of it. But like, I just don't believe that you'd be stone cold while fighting shit like Del Lago, the first Garrador, Verdugeo, and U-3. The dogs at the church or even the regenerators might get ya, what if the stupid crickets vomited on your face?

10 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Meme all you want, but if some of these bosses were fought in first person and in VR it would be spooky if you hadn't played RE4 before. I mean, if you have played RE4 a bunch you have played the horror out of it. But like, I just don't believe that you'd be stone cold while fighting shit like Del Lago, the first Garrador, Verdugeo, and U-3. The dogs at the church or even the regenerators might get ya, what if the stupid crickets vomited on your face?

I honestly feel like this can't be good for your brain, I have a feeling as vr tech gets better people are going to legit get PTSD from this kind of stuff. 

I mean, none of those were scary, that's not at all what I think of when I think horror, lol. They're big cheesy action movie monsters. And sure, VR can make a lot of things more scary since you get a better sense of scale, but if you need to put it in VR for it to even start being scary then you're just relying on our natural fear of big things with lots of teeth. Know the scariest thing in RE4 VR, which I was just playing last night? ASHLEY. Why? Because she always just fucking appears right behind you, she startles me every time. She is the only thing I've seen in the game that has legit scared the shit out of me because we're hardwired not to like it when things pop out of nowhere behind us!

Anyway there's a big difference to me between something that might incidentally be a little scary and actual horror. RE4 was never designed to be anything other than a fun cheesy action game, it never set out to unsettle you, though sure it might startle newer players on occasion. Hell, I'd argue that most Resident Evils haven't actually tried to be that, even something like RE7 that leans a lot heavier into horror really stops doing so after you escape the first house. RE8 only really did it with Da Baby, even Dimitrescu wasn't supposed to be that scary, but I'd certainly call her presence a lot scarier than anything in RE4.

To me, a horror game is about putting you a near constant (but not actually constant, that's exhausting) state of tension and making you unsettled as often as possible. A bit of paranoia that there's something around every corner, even if nothing shows up for a very long time.

I dunno, at some point it feels like an argument over genre definitions, I just happen to think if you played RE4 and came away thinking it was a horror game, you probably haven't played many horror games.

6LU_xW.gif

tumblr_p61an7tkvp1wilsp2o1_400.gifv

aaeac0e28779679682d9310db68439cfc7fbc26f

Also, not saying RE4 isn't an action game. It totally is. That's what makes it good. But it has horror and enough of it that it is 100% an action horror game. Just because you aren't scared, doesn't mean there isn't horror. I mean, Xbob is right in that RE has never been particularly scary, but I feel that way about most horror games with combat. Silent Hill, RE1-4, Dead Space, Eternal Darkness, and shit I don't know what else, but they aren't these nightmare-inducing games. And yet I'd still call them horror or action horror games.

• True 1

Silent Hill 2 and Eternal Darkness are the only 2 games to ever legit scare me to where I turned the games off, turned the lights on, had a glass of milk and watched Sports Center. But nowadays no 'horror' game is scary any more. They just rinse-repeat jacked up creature designs and atmospheric music.

And I guess Codemned scared me a few times.. 

4 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

To me, a horror game is about putting you a near constant (but not actually constant, that's exhausting) state of tension and making you unsettled as often as possible. A bit of paranoia that there's something around every corner, even if nothing shows up for a very long time.

And the tension in this game comes from being overwhelmed by hoards of zombies. Sure you fight them off in an action packed way but the intense feeling isn't from feeling like an action hero it's from the desperation to survive.

5 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

And the tension in this game comes from being overwhelmed by hoards of zombies. Sure you fight them off in an action packed way but the intense feeling isn't from feeling like an action hero it's from the desperation to survive.

Bro I don't know what game you're playing, but shoot them in the head, kick them, then knife them. Unless Monster Hunter and Earth Defense Force are also horror!

21 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

I played CV at launch and I remember beating and even kinda liking it, but man is it bad in a lot of ways. A proper full-on remake would greatly benefit the game. I don't think its cheese (fuckin' STEVE) works quite as well as RE4's and there's a lot of weird tedious backtracking. Some of it very unintuitive. I feel like most other RE games you can intuit where to go pretty easily, maybe get a little lost every once in a while but you're kind of always on the right track. I think in CV you could get really lost and I think you could also basically ruin your save at a point or two if you did especially poorly.

So while it's not my favorite RE game by a country mile, I also think that's why it's the best candidate (aside from maybe 0?) for a remake that can clean up the flaws.

I remember renting Code Veronica on the Dreamcast.  The final day of my rental (it was in the morning and that evening my dad was going to return the game) I’m all excited to get to the last boss.  I run out of the limited ammo and rockets I brought and couldn’t do anything. Running back and forth but there was no where you could go. Just you in the room with the boss. Totally screwed.  I was dumb at the time and operated on one save file so there was no going back. Bullshit.

22 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

CV and the Original.

Definitely don’t need 5&6. I have no intention of ever playing them again. 

Now that the RE4 remake is done, I still think Code: Veronica or RE0 would be one of the next best two candidates to get the remake treatment. RE5 and RE6 are simply too new (and RE6 is maligned enough) that they don't really need remakes. Maybe remasters at best. RE1's remake was so long ago I do think it could use another remake to fit it in line with RE2R, RE3R, and RE4R, but I'd take RE0 or CV before that one.

6 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Now that the RE4 remake is done, I still think Code: Veronica or RE0 would be one of the next best two candidates to get the remake treatment. RE5 and RE6 are simply too new (and RE6 is maligned enough) that they don't really need remakes. Maybe remasters at best. RE1's remake was so long ago I do think it could use another remake to fit it in line with RE2R, RE3R, and RE4R, but I'd take RE0 or CV before that one.

RE5 is almost 15 years old fwiw, and I could see them doing online co-op for it like the OG which would be fun.

• True 1

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

RE5 is almost 15 years old fwiw, and I could see them doing online co-op for it like the OG which would be fun.

I'm not against it, I just don't think it should be next is all. If we get to a point where RE0, CV, and RE1 have been remade, by that point RE5 would be worth remaking, as I thought it was pretty fun, I played it with co-op. It's just it's from the PS3 generation, it's also on PC, there are mods to improve the game on PC, etc. But I'd be down.

On 3/18/2023 at 9:45 PM, Xbob42 said:

Bro I don't know what game you're playing, but shoot them in the head, kick them, then knife them. Unless Monster Hunter and Earth Defense Force are also horror!

It at least begs the question of “if the devs say it’s a horror game does that make it a horror game?” 

Because they certainly intend it to be “of a type” and that is a survival horror game, whereas the other games you are bringing up are not trying to do that at all. 

I think it absolutely is a horror game, but if you’re playing it to be scared or as a fan specifically of the horror genre, you’re gonna be let down. Which is one of my criticisms of the game. 

Playing RE4 on PS2 for the first time, I was so impressively immersed in the first village encounter that being killed by the chainsaw suddenly from behind startled me to the point that I had to put the game down for a few days.  So I would say, at least early on, that it's effective as a horror game.  As it wears on I think you get used to the tone and it gets to be pretty over the top so it definitely veers into camp, which is really fun.  I don't think horror is defined by whether somebody finds something scary, which is extremely inconsistent and subjective; to me it's about the macabre subject matter and deriving tension from a fear of death, so all RE games are horror.

For remakes, I hope they just do RE1 again in the new engine and call it a day.  That original mansion has always been the strongest setting, so seeing it recreated with the care and attention to detail of something like the RE2 remake would be amazing.

• True 1

I would say even the “scary” RE games follow a lot of that same path tho of, at first it’s unsettling and then you get used to the combat and setting and they become more puzzle games. 

RE7 is the only one to keep me on edge for most of the game. It just felt so suffocating and like you were trapped in this place and shit was out to get you. I think the first person perspective goes a long way there. 

3 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Well that's a shame but I'm interested.

Now I could be wrong of course since

Spoiler

this is based on leaked images from the RE4 ending, and I didn't personally screen all of them as I didn't want to see them. However, in the thread, people were saying how it basically confirmed re5 is next.

Either way, we'll know for sure in a few days.

• True 1