Resident Evil 4 Remake - Information Thread, update: 6.48 million units sold (fastest-selling game in series history)

51 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I guess I should have foregone the $10 discount and bought through Steam. Still don't have a key yet. WTF. I was  really looking forward to playing this tonight when I found out it unlocked at 11pm my time.

My friend who bought it through GMG is sitting pretty as well.

7 hours ago, Zaku3 said:

Ya I think some people even get away with like 6700XT like cards at 4k. The bleeding high end is really more for you choice of ultra settings or high maybe low to hit higher refresh rate targets then 60. 

I wonder what 300FPS Total Warhammer 3 would look like on a 32:9 OLED. 

Thats how I play TWWH3 when I’m not being lazy lol. Hook my laptop up to the ultrawide, it’s beautiful. 

we need to get a campaign in!

Finally get to dive into this game and experience it for myself. Goddamn it's been difficult avoiding shit on the internet. Especially since it leaked like, a week early and there were full playthroughs on Youtube three days before the game officially launched. While it was easy to avoid those, the youtubers I watch were not only launching into game footage sporadically, but they were doing late game footage on top of that. Really annoying.

And before anyone says "it's a remake you already know what's going to happen," I played the first chapter last night and it's already pretty different from the original. The settings and general events are the same, but even in that first chapter they already expanded the village and threw in a new enemy in a spot that didn't have one, and that surprised me. I don't know about anyone else, but I would've been bummed if I saw that in a video somewhere.

• Halal 1

The game makes me uncomfortable when it decides to alter that path but leads to the same destination. It is like something is out of place. That isn't a good thing or a bad thing, but I feel thrown off my groove when it happens.

Also RIP console users for the new

Spoiler

shooting gallery

Part of me wants to get this because I remember enjoying the original as a teen because it was basically an action game with some creepiness: I’m just not a fan of horror games and from everything I’ve watched this definitely seems to be “creepier” than the OG partly due to the graphical upgrade, and any area where the flashlight comes out seems overly tense for my tastes. For reference: getting through the hospital in TLOU2 was very rough for me.

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Part of me wants to get this because I remember enjoying the original as a teen because it was basically an action game with some creepiness: I’m just not a fan of horror games and from everything I’ve watched this definitely seems to be “creepier” than the OG partly due to the graphical upgrade, and any area where the flashlight comes out seems overly tense for my tastes. For reference: getting through the hospital in TLOU2 was very rough for me.

If anything gives you the creeps it will be the fantastic sound design. Woodhouses be scary yo.

Also, something that also up the creep factor this time imo is

Spoiler

the time of day changes per chapter and you have a whole chapter or more in twilight instead with only two chapters being in total daylight

Having fun. Interesting the game says play on Hardcore if you played RE4. So I chose that and it's challenging for sure.

As for the performance of the game it seems to run well at a lot of settings but seems to be very touchy about vram usage. I was able to up a lot of stuff to the red in the demo or even the previous remakes with no issue but this game will hard crash fairly easily if you are out of the white zone. I'm not the only one having this issue if the steam discussions are any indication.

Yeah, hardcore is far harder than I expected and that is because the enemies can be really fucking tanky. Some die in three shots, others can be shot and kicked a bunch of times before dying and those aren't even the twitchy boys you need to knife.

I am going through my morning ritual and one I'm done gonna dive in. Did you guys go for OG sounds? I didn't like zombie sound effects in the remakes too TWD not enough old school RE for my tastes. Gonna use my hot shyt open air headphones for this. Am hyped.

Will do a playthrough of normal and I will beat RE4HD on normal to unlock professional. Then maybe try a pro run in RE4make but alot of time to invest in a single player game ultimately.

4 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Yeah, hardcore is far harder than I expected and that is because the enemies can be really fucking tanky. Some die in three shots, others can be shot and kicked a bunch of times before dying and those aren't even the twitchy boys you need to knife.

Do we know if just using the knife in these remakes damages them? Or does it need to connect with like an enemy to take damage?

Just now, Zaku3 said:

Do we know if just using the knife in these remakes damages them? Or does it need to connect with like an enemy to take damage?

I think durability goes down only if you hit enemies with it. If you're asking if the knife gets damaged by breaking barrels it does not.

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I think durability goes down only if you hit enemies with it. If you're asking if the knife gets damaged by breaking barrels it does not.

Still knifing fools then. GG Ganados shouldn't have taken Ashley hostage when Special "I'm a bad ass" Agent Leon S Kennedy is on the case.

Edit: Therapy lets me enjoy art more. I can pick up on subtile clues. Leon sees in his back up cops that wouldn't have survived Racoon City and to him that is the worst situation he has ever been in. I'm gonna enjoy this is they keep playing up Racoon City in dialogue. Like he has been an agent for a long time. He should have seen about as bad situations but this Leon asks what if he hasn't. The OG touches on this but it's more of I'll never forget the outbreak, not I can't forget the outbreak.

Everything about this game rules.  The knife durability is awesome because it forces you to be strategic about positioning and how to fight groups of enemies, which are so far more frequent and more aggressive.  It just adds another strategic layer on what is already a very dynamic gameplay system.  Playing through the first Village square section multiple times because I kept dying, I was pretty amazed at how different it was each time.  I saw all sorts of things I didn't notice in the demo.  The game really pushes you in these fights and it makes for such awesome, variable encounters.  This in no way invalidates the original game, which has a brilliant and unique control scheme and will always remain an all-time great.  This remake is surprisingly different and feels like playing an all new game in many respects.  It's the best recent RE game, and one of the best overall of the past several years, and I'm only a few chapters in.

Also the typewriter save music remix...

Sad Doctor Who GIF

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Finally get to dive into this game and experience it for myself. Goddamn it's been difficult avoiding shit on the internet. Especially since it leaked like, a week early and there were full playthroughs on Youtube three days before the game officially launched. While it was easy to avoid those, the youtubers I watch were not only launching into game footage sporadically, but they were doing late game footage on top of that. Really annoying.

And before anyone says "it's a remake you already know what's going to happen," I played the first chapter last night and it's already pretty different from the original. The settings and general events are the same, but even in that first chapter they already expanded the village and threw in a new enemy in a spot that didn't have one, and that surprised me. I don't know about anyone else, but I would've been bummed if I saw that in a video somewhere.

Agreed, I hadn't assumed that this game would be too spoilable, but even a short way into the game there are all sorts of fantastic left turns.  We'll see how the rest of the game is, but this is maybe the quintessential example so far of how to remake a classic game.  Where I found the Dead Space remake pretty safe and dull, this is quite the opposite.

4 minutes ago, ShreddieMercury said:

Agreed, I hadn't assumed that this game would be too spoilable, but even a short way into the game there are all sorts of fantastic left turns.  We'll see how the rest of the game is, but this is maybe the quintessential example so far of how to remake a classic game.  Where I found the Dead Space remake pretty safe and dull, this is quite the opposite.

They asked themselves what would make RE4 better beyond just better graphics.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

51 minutes ago, ShreddieMercury said:

Everything about this game rules.  The knife durability is awesome because it forces you to be strategic about positioning and how to fight groups of enemies, which are so far more frequent and more aggressive.  It just adds another strategic layer on what is already a very dynamic gameplay system.  Playing through the first Village square section multiple times because I kept dying, I was pretty amazed at how different it was each time.  I saw all sorts of things I didn't notice in the demo.  The game really pushes you in these fights and it makes for such awesome, variable encounters.  This in no way invalidates the original game, which has a brilliant and unique control scheme and will always remain an all-time great.  This remake is surprisingly different and feels like playing an all new game in many respects.  It's the best recent RE game, and one of the best overall of the past several years, and I'm only a few chapters in.

Also the typewriter save music remix...

Sad Doctor Who GIF

I am still 1337 so it doesn't matter if like critial hits need to wait for the reticle to close because I'll put enough lead in your skull to stun you and kick. Twitchers get popped until they drop loot. I think all enemies just drop loot. 

Or to simplify if fools want to get in between me and Ashley (mission objective not waifu but she could be in fairness) you gonna get it.

Also I'm deducting points because they didn't solve animal cruelty. Crows still drop items.

23 minutes ago, stepee said:

Gonna be realllll hard - to not dive right in here since I already purchased it as well. 

Naw if you "mastered" RE4 combat this is that but modern. Add dodges parries improve enemies to account for modern controls and other improvements and you have this. I legit have nothing to fear from this game. I will die and take damage from mistakes. 

Also leon's such a bad ass i shot a trip wire explosive trap and he like doesnt even flinch from the blast its great. I'd have to look at the Imperial Guard in 40k or the human factions in WFB to find balls of steel this large. Real ya I'll take on a Greater Daemon with a halberd energy. It's cool because Ashley is just his job not an emotional attachment so a degree of selflessness which I adore.

6 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

Naw if you "mastered" RE4 combat this is that but modern. Add dodges parries improve enemies to account for modern controls and other improvements and you have this. I legit have nothing to fear from this game. I will die and take damage from mistakes. 

Also leon's such a bad ass i shot a trip wire explosive trap and he like doesnt even flinch from the blast its great. I'd have to look at the Imperial Guard in 40k or the human factions in WFB to find balls of steel this large. Real ya I'll take on a Greater Daemon with a halberd energy. It's cool because Ashley is just his job not an emotional attachment so a degree of selflessness which I adore.

This is my first time playing RE4 past the point of the demo :P

I meant hard to resist starting it this weekend vs waiting for my cpu/ram/ssd/etc upgrade likely coming in about two weeks!

5 minutes ago, stepee said:

This is my first time playing RE4 past the point of the demo :P

I meant hard to resist starting it this weekend vs waiting for my cpu/ram/ssd/etc upgrade likely coming in about two weeks!

RE engine games run like a dream. I'm over 75 FPS with high RT. My minimun without was like 90. 

Remember I don't have an Nvidia card for RT.

2 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

RE engine games run like a dream. I'm over 75 FPS with high RT. My minimun without was like 90. 

Remember I don't have an Nvidia card for RT.

On the demo it was in the 90s in the big action section, Im pretty sure that is 120 on the new pc build. But with the latest nvidia driver and on the final release it could run better than the demo too. I think I’ll just play through the demo part for the 500th time and then decide.

16 minutes ago, stepee said:

On the demo it was in the 90s in the big action section, Im pretty sure that is 120 on the new pc build. But with the latest nvidia driver and on the final release it could run better than the demo too. I think I’ll just play through the demo part for the 500th time and then decide.

I bailed on the demo when I realizrd it was the opening. And bailed on that HD project run because if they fuck this up I'd be so disappointed.

Omg stealth kills I loved that about TEW. 

Fuk the new Merchant voice sucks. Feels like they thought let's find an iconic voice. The OG devs stumbled upon an icon voice. Like good in and of itself but not a direct improvement over the OG.

On 3/23/2023 at 9:52 AM, Keyser_Soze said:

I spent the last hour or so fiddling around with this (for RE3). There are a lot of different versions of the REFramework and not all of them have the upscaler option. But once i hunted down the version with the upscaler in it (I used this one) it worked wonderfully!

In case you're wondering they updated the REFamework this morning so the DLSS fix works, looks goodman.

I'm using this one

spacer.png

• Shocked 1