Resident Evil 4 Remake - Information Thread, update: 6.48 million units sold (fastest-selling game in series history)

54 minutes ago, stepee said:

I’m curious why they didn’t use RTGI on this when Village has it and even RE2/3/7 have it now. I wonder if it messed with the look they were going for to mimic the original or something.

RT reflections are higher quality now which is great and just having those instead of REngines terrible SSR is such an improvement. 

Also I did this from a guy on resetera:

A) If you want more film like HDR, Simply set peak brightness to

-8/+2 from the left and overall brightness to -7/+3 from left.

Something seemed off with hdr before and this looks much better to me.

Ok I tried the punchy suggestion and that’s a lot better now I actually like the hdr instead of it just not bothering me anymore:

Stolen from Koklusz of resetera:

B) If you want your HDR all punchy and don't mind some black clipping (which is intentional in this game going by SDR grade) you need to play around with settings on your TV or GPU drivers. Enable HDR in windows and play this video, calibrate the display so flashing bar no 17 is barely visible. For me, raising contrast to 70 in NV control panel does the trick. Then in game set up both sliders according to what game recommends.

-

For me it was 30% contrast in Nvidia control panel that had 17 in the video barely showing the flashing bar. Really does look on point now.

9 minutes ago, stepee said:

Ok I tried the punchy suggestion and that’s a lot better now I actually like the hdr instead of it just not bothering me anymore:

B) If you want your HDR all punchy and don't mind some black clipping (which is intentional in this game going by SDR grade) you need to play around with settings on your TV or GPU drivers. Enable HDR in windows and play this video, calibrate the display so flashing bar no 17 is barely visible. For me, raising contrast to 70 in NV control panel does the trick. Then in game set up both sliders according to what game recommends.

-

For me it was 30% contrast in Nvidia control panel that had 17 in the video barely showing the flashing bar. Really does look on point now.

Are you kinda just messing with settings and not really playing?

1 hour ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

It crashed a couple times for me with RT, though I was gettinf around 60fps with it on. I just turned it off to keep things stable.

I mentioned this a bit further back but if it says your Vram is not in the white it will crash. I still have RT on but am in the white and it hasn't crashed. I didn't get a chance to play it last night but I want to say FSR might be making it go crazy. Since I put the DLSS mod on I want to see if I can crank things up again.

55 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Are you kinda just messing with settings and not really playing?

Na I’m playing too, I just maxed everything out and put it native 4k for settings and it’s running very well, but I knew the hdr was a little borked and wanted to make sure I set that right. I’m in chapter 2 now taking my time.

• Halal 1

I’m on chapter 4 and this is a very good video game

Does the game ever tell you about the shoot in the knees kick them then knife them thing? I never knew that before when playing that first part and it’s pretty great now that I know about it.

34 minutes ago, stepee said:

Does the game ever tell you about the shoot in the knees kick them then knife them thing? I never knew that before when playing that first part and it’s pretty great now that I know about it.

Nope. They never mention that but I do this, too. Glad you're enjoying it! I'm about to play more now and I already put 4 hours in today lol. 

25 minutes ago, nublood said:

Ok, so I played this way back on the Gamecube. But I swear I don’t remember any of this. I’ve put maybe a couple hours into it and it feels like a totally new experience 🤷‍♂️

Yup, same for me. I obviously remembered the bosses to some extent but nothing else in anyway. This is absolutely a new experience for me, too. 

4 hours ago, Bacon said:

(GIRLISH HEAVY BREATHING INTENSIFIES)

Oh my god, the second a mod comes out to remove the out of breath noises (from both characters) I'm 100% installing it. They never shut the hell up. :lol:

3 hours ago, Biggie said:

@best3444 is this spooky? I’m going to try the demo. 

Yeah it's a lot more spooky than the original. Partly just by atmosphere, but largely because they play it straight a lot more and have added a lot of more quiet, tense moments rather than nonstop action. It still has cheesy silly shit, but it doesn't immediately devolve into a B-movie like the original. Though maybe if you played with a mod like this it'd be less scary: 

4 hours ago, stepee said:

-

I haven't done any of this, but I also noticed HDR seemed weird and overly dark. I just gave like a +2/+2 on these settings and everything looked right. I'm thinking maybe the default settings are just broken or something?

53 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Oh my god, the second a mod comes out to remove the out of breath noises (from both characters) I'm 100% installing it. They never shut the hell up. :lol:

Yeah it's a lot more spooky than the original. Partly just by atmosphere, but largely because they play it straight a lot more and have added a lot of more quiet, tense moments rather than nonstop action. It still has cheesy silly shit, but it doesn't immediately devolve into a B-movie like the original. Though maybe if you played with a mod like this it'd be less scary: 

I haven't done any of this, but I also noticed HDR seemed weird and overly dark. I just gave like a +2/+2 on these settings and everything looked right. I'm thinking maybe the default settings are just broken or something?

It seems like default contrast is too high and that the calibration is all wrong. You can surely eye it and manually change the in-game settings but the other way just makes it easier to get it right first go.

3 hours ago, stepee said:

I replay the game often well OG and I don't so that. Too 1337. I go for headshots, melee, and knife. I hate the TMP because it's ruining my like 89-90% accuracy. 

I replay it for the camp. Bad Ass Leon and the combat is still that good. I want to try the Red 9's modern pistol counter part but I' a sucker for stripper clips on a pistol. I'd buy a IRL Red 9 or this m1912 Austrian pistol.

1 hour ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Whew, I'm on chapter 8. 10 hours in two days. Probably the most I've gamed in a long while.

OG was a marathon. I basically didn't stop playing it until I beat it after 20 hours of gameplay. I expect 20 again maybe a bit longer with this one while I adjust to like puzzle changes.

Runs pretty well on steam deck native res at 30fps with textures on high and the higher quality lighting but some other settings turned down. I’ll probably just moonlight it because there is no reason not to instead but it’s cool that it can run this fully native.

Can confirm that this definitely keeps up much more of a horror vibe than the original. It's still heavy on action, but I would no longer classify it as pure action. For reference, if you're unsure of whether this would be too spooky for you (super minor semi-spoiler on an enemy that shows up in both original and remake):

Spoiler

Look up how you first fight the Garrador in the original and remake. Garrador was one of the spookier enemies in the first game, but was still largely just a raging bull. In the remake, it's a straight up horror game segment, even though the content is still somewhat the same. Just the difference in atmosphere, the presentation of the monster, the arena, how you get to the arena, it's less video gamey, or rather, the proportion of silly video game bullshit (like giant bells you can shoot) is smaller.

• Thanks 1

If you are playing on hardcore, and wish to do the "Never heard it coming" challenge/achievement, you'll need at least two disposable knives and an upgraded combat knife if attempting to do backstabs only. If you are like me and only had one disposable knife and the combat knife, you will need to stab the weak spot normally a bunch of times, as in do not sneak attack backstab as it uses up too much durability. My disposable knife only had about 2/3 of the total durability left when I started, and right before it broke I did a sneak attack backstab for big damage. I then used the combat knife only doing sneak attack backstabs and the backstab that broke my combat knife killed the boss.

I'm on chapter 9 and this cutscene happened but the game doesn't stop. I realized I could do a little trick and reloaded and performed it. I think you could do something like this in the OG RE4 but I can't remember. It's a pretty neat "skip" or at least a way to funnel enemies into a death trap and line up the collaterals.

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Sadly I had to turn RT off. Maybe after a patch I'll turn it back on. Just kind of a bummer because I didn't have that issue with the other games.

spacer.png

Game ready drivers? I was getting alot of crashes and forgot to download the latest update.

5 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

Game ready drivers? I was getting alot of crashes and forgot to download the latest update.

I downloaded them the same day before playing. It's not just me. It happened to my friend, cnut in this thread and tons of people on steam, just check the RE4 discussion there is a topic about it on just about every page.

7 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I downloaded them the same day before playing. It's not just me. It happened to my friend, cnut in this thread and tons of people on steam, just check the RE4 discussion there is a topic about it on just about every page.

Wasn't this an AMD sponsered title? I only remember really crashing sometimes while playing Resident Evil Resistance of the current RE Engine games.

It’s a vram crash, usually if you run out of vram it should just load lower quality textures at those moments instead this seems to crash and it’s hard to baseline it since there will be moments of high spikes and then you have your crash. People are going to have different limits depending on build and settings. Even at 16gb I heard when fully maxed at native 4k.

Resi-Comp-Site.jpg
WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

The Digital Foundry verdict on every single console version of Resident Evil 4, based on the day one experience.

This is a technically dense game with a lot of interesting and bizarre technical minutiae, so let's try to keep it brisk. All current-gen consoles pack a frame-rate mode and a resolution mode, plus some other toggles that we'll address shortly. Both options target 60fps but image quality differs quite a bit - and not really in the ways that you'd expect. Series X, for its part, is pretty well-behaved.The frame-rate mode hits roughly 1800p and the resolution mode comes in at 2160p. The game appears to use a form of reconstruction to hit that output - very likely checkerboarding, based on the game's artifact patterns and the use of the technique in recent RE Engine games - and the results here are serviceable. The resolution mode is a bit clearer, though both options hold up pretty similarly at a typical viewing distance, especially given the dark and low-contrast game content which tends to suit a less precise look just fine.

The PS5 looks substantially blurrier in head-to-heads relative to Series X, although curiously, pixel counts in frame-rate mode actually seem higher, coming in at around 1944p, while the resolution mode clocks in at the same 2160p as its Xbox equivalent, again with checkerboarding engaged. Across opaque surfaces, the game has a slightly smeary representation of fine detail across both visual modes. More concerning though is the breakup on transparencies - when Leon's hair is moving, for instance, it has an aliased, half-resolution look, while Series X stays relatively coherent and free of jagged edges.

RE4-REMAKE-SITE.jpg
WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

Resident Evil 4 is one of the most influential video games in the history of the medium - so how does the 2023 remake hold up? PS5, Xbox Series X and S covered.

In our coverage of the Chainsaw Demo we noted several key issues on each platform we tested. Starting with PS5, we noticed problems with the game's checkerboard rendering which made it look noticeably less sharp than the Xbox Series X version, especially when using the chromatic aberration and lens distortion features, alongside missing RT reflections. Meanwhile on Xbox Series X/S, the controls felt noticeably less responsive, with a large dead zone and poorly configured acceleration. All platforms also suffered from unstable performance, with enabling the various graphical options often contributing to this, including the strand hair feature that additionally caused lighting issues.

These problems knocked off the lustre of what was otherwise a compelling demo, but as of launch day, only one of these issues has been corrected: RT on PS5. This now behaves like the Xbox version, but all of the other major issues we noted remain. That means choosing between a softer-looking game on PS5 with aliasing and shimmering or a frustratingly worse-controlling game on Xbox Series X/S... plus frame-rate inconsistency and visual bugs on all current-gen versions to a certain extent.

Yeah I played up to the Castle yesterday already. Guess it won’t be a problem with TLOU releasing next week since I’ll probably finish this early Saturday at the latest. I’m going to try to get some psvr2 in today though, but we will see as I couldn’t tear myself away yesterday.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Resident Evil 4 Remake (PlayStation/Xbox Series/PC, 24 March 2023) - update: Digital Foundry technical comparison of the console versions