Resident Evil 4 Remake - Information Thread, update: 6.48 million units sold (fastest-selling game in series history)

Make sure you search Chainsaw demo because it doesn't show up on the RE4 page

header.jpg?t=1678402966
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Survival is just the beginning. Experience a taste of Resident Evil 4, a reimagining of the original game released in 2005. This demo consists of a specially tuned version of the game's opening sequence and can be played repeatedly without time restrictions.

Bro wtf did they do to my boy Salazar? 

He was like a snarky little ventriloquist dummy in the original and was easily the most memorable part that game. They made him look like the god damned chicken lady from Kids in the hall and the dialogue is both poorly written and poorly delivered. I hate it.

Kids In The Hall Chicken GIF by CBC

Alright, that was fantastic. Was a little iffy at the start as it felt a lot like every other recent RE in terms of the type of opening they're going for.

But then it turns into 100% RE4 goodness, but enhanced. I even thought the really unique combat music fucking ruled after a few minutes, wasn't sure whether I liked it or not at first. The right sort of chaotic industrial noise to really sell the action without getting overbearing, though I'm sure some probably won't like it much.

Think I'll play it again on PS5, see how that stacks up. Gonna be real hard for it to beat an absolutely maxed out, stutter-free (sans one tiny micro-micro stutter when going into the very first building that I barely even noticed) 120+ FPS, but it gives me an excuse to play it again!

Oh! I dunno if it was linked here, since I'm trying not to get spoiled on whatever might be spoil-able (this was the first time I even saw combat, for example) but they have a little ARG up to learn more about how Ashley was kidnapped, if you're into that sorta thing. Solve a few puzzles, get some backstory. Nothing too hard or crazy. 

social-media.jpg
BABYEAGLEISMISSING.COM

Urgent Alert. Head to secure agent portal to get started

My impressions of the PS5 version were... uh, it's blurry? Picked frame rate mode, and it seemed like a somewhat stable 60 FPS, got some traversal stutters when moving from the first building to the village. If I had raytracing on it felt like 30 FPS so that got turned off immediately. In the beginning Leon's hair looked gray for some reason? Also the adaptive triggers really annoy me when it comes to shooting. I feel like it just slows me down. There's a few graphical options (2 hair options as opposed to PC's 3, lens distortion/chromatic aberration, and a few others) which is always appreciated.

But man it was SUPER blurry. I wonder how the PS4 version looks/plays. Definitely doesn't feel like a game that should be on last-gen hardware.

30 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

How did they manage to make the Justin Bieber haircut even worse??

It's not worse, you can finally see all the awful detail!

Also glad I replayed the demo again on PC. Was trying to bring down a chainsaw boy and there's a few more things than I thought that can happen!

Just played it through on framerate mode on the XSX and yeah it's blurry as shit. Not only that, but the black levels are awful. 

Playing it through now on Resolution/RT mode and the lighting loos sooooooo much better. Runs kinda like ass when he's outside but once he gets indoors the framerate jumps.. so I'm assuming it's unlocked?

We'll see what happens in the village when he's outside and there's a ton of dudes around... Usually I don't care about RT in games and I don't think the slight bump in quality is worth the sacrifice in framerate............ Buuuuuuut I might have to make an exception this time around. The crushed blacks in the framerate mode really do look like shit.

EDIT: It actually ran fairly well considering all that was going on.

59 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Just played it through on framerate mode on the XSX and yeah it's blurry as shit. Not only that, but the black levels are awful. 

Playing it through now on Resolution/RT mode and the lighting loos sooooooo much better. Runs kinda like ass when he's outside but once he gets indoors the framerate jumps.. so I'm assuming it's unlocked?

We'll see what happens in the village when he's outside and there's a ton of dudes around... Usually I don't care about RT in games and I don't think the slight bump in quality is worth the sacrifice in framerate............ Buuuuuuut I might have to make an exception this time around. The crushed blacks in the framerate mode really do look like shit.

EDIT: It actually ran fairly well considering all that was going on.

The black levels have actually been awful in every Resident Evil in recent memory, I had to get a mod/reshade for 7/8/2R/3R just to fix the blacks that all looked like grays. And it was worse on consoles since you couldn't change it! I actually didn't mind too much my first time around but once I upgraded to a better monitor (between 7 and 2R coming out, I think) it was obviously how AWFUL the blacks were.

Luckily on this one, if I turn on HDR (I don't think the previous ones had HDR? Or it was broken or something. Like the blacks were still ruined.) then the black levels are perfect.

Also I keep forgetting to mention! You can tap LB at any time to parry a weapon strike. Not just when prompts come up. The pre-release trailers probably covered this but all I was aware of was the chainsaw one. When I fucking parried a thrown axe by reflex alone I just had the dumbest grin on my face. I think you can actually just hold the button down (i.e. if your knife is up you auto-parry) but it's still fun to do it like a Dark Souls parry!

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Resident Evil 4 Remake (PlayStation/Xbox Series/PC, 24 March 2023) - update: "Chainsaw" demo available on Steam/XBL/PSN

Control type B-1 is classic RE controls for the most part. Way better than whatever A-1 is trying to do. PS5 version seems to looks better texturally, but the game seems kinda washed out on PS5 for me. In general, on PS5 games have always seemed a bit duller for me. Like there is a faint gray filter.

5 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

Hey I'd only cut off my curly long hair if I was gonna do RE4 Leon for Halloween or something.

I just noticed you can change Leon's hair in the options. It's still horrible, but at least it looks naturally horrible.

Seriously though. You're in a survival situation, why would you limit your field of view? Leon walking around with that hair down in his face like he's got fuckin horse blinders on. This has annoyed me since 2005.

Yep, this is another one that wants some cpu juice. Doesn’t matter that there’s no dlss since I’m cpu bottlenecked at native 4k anyway! Still, mostly in the 80-low 100s so it’s not horrible but with my new build already ordered I’ll just wait a week or two to start since at least with fsr2 quality it looks like it’ll hold 120 then. Glad I got that new build coming, though no dlss3 here so it’s cpu performance isn’t as bad as some recent games where I can’t even get 60 without dlss3.

Is the current gen version going to just be the gamecube version at 4k/60 again?

9 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I just noticed you can change Leon's hair in the options. It's still horrible, but at least it looks naturally horrible.

Seriously though. You're in a survival situation, why would you limit your field of view? Leon walking around with that hair down in his face like he's got fuckin horse blinders on. This has annoyed me since 2005.

It might be the romantic in me but rule of cool. Like I'm a practical guy but I love berets. To the point i'd wear one in combat and the price of a head wound is worth being a bad ass. Maybe. Lol

1 minute ago, stepee said:

Yep, this is another one that wants some cpu juice. Doesn’t matter that there’s no dlss since I’m cpu bottlenecked at native 4k anyway! Still, mostly in the 80-low 100s so it’s not horrible but with my new build already ordered I’ll just wait a week or two to start since at least with fsr2 quality it looks like it’ll hold 120 then. Glad I got that new build coming, though no dlss3 here so it’s cpu performance isn’t as bad as some recent games where I can’t even get 60 without dlss3.

Is the current gen version going to just be the gamecube version at 4k/60 again?

Wait you got the 4090 woot I'm mad close to that. Are you sure it's a CPU bottleneck? I do have a 7950x with the auto OC and I think the higher power curve. 

1 minute ago, Zaku3 said:

Wait you got the 4090 woot I'm mad close to that. Are you sure it's a CPU bottleneck? I do have a 7950x with the auto OC and I think the higher power curve. 

Yeah it’s cpu here, changing res doesn’t change the frame rate, gpu has plenty of headroom but cpu says no once you hit the village with all the zombies. 10th gen intel doesn’t seem to be performing well if you want 120fps in AAA.

Yeah, I don't know why, but the lighting on PS5 is like total ass for me. Super washed out. Of course I feel like even the main menu of the PS5 looks washed out. Like there is a constant filter applied at all times that makes that makes everything look dull or like it is on power saving mode.

I think I'd rather play this on the PC simply due to the controls. They feel much smoother  and I find it hard to aim now on console after years of not playing shooters on console. Even something like sprinting towards an enemy so I can melee them feels more responsive on PC. It is like there is a delay on console before I start sprinting. IDK,  it kinda just feels more gamey on PC for me.

Wow. I really need to thank this re4 demo.

So, like, the washed shit was so bad when compared to PC I didn't get it. My PS5 has always seemed dim, dull, and washed out. So, I messed with the settings. I don't have HDR so I knew it wasn't that. I scrolled down to the very bottom of the video out put page and noticed something called RGB range. I had seen it before and just left it as automatic(recommended). I just changed it to full and fucking WoW does that make a huge difference. I have played GoW and DeS with automatic on and while the games looked good, the seemed so dull. I wish I was told about this somehow. I think I remember doing the same thing on the switch as well now that I think about it.