Pedo guy megalomaniacal manchild officially owns Twitter

Some confirmation bias here :p 

Car prices have been dropping as demand decreases and supply chain constraints ease. Ask your favorite dealer what their current “market adjustment” is. 

Twitter seems to have nuked access to their API that allows 3rd party apps like TweetBot to interact with Twitter on behalf of their users. I’m kinda surprised it took this long. That’s a ton of eyeballs that aren’t seeing Twitter ads, so a fairly easy way to push up the view count for ads is to force everybody into the official Twitter app.

I haven’t used the official Twitter app in 5 or 6 years, but I feel like the website gives a good approximation of the experience and even in the chronological timeline the insertion of ads sullies the experience.

9 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Twitter seems to have nuked access to their API that allows 3rd party apps like TweetBot to interact with Twitter on behalf of their users. I’m kinda surprised it took this long. That’s a ton of eyeballs that aren’t seeing Twitter ads, so a fairly easy way to push up the view count for ads is to force everybody into the official Twitter app.

I haven’t used the official Twitter app in 5 or 6 years, but I feel like the website gives a good approximation of the experience and even in the chronological timeline the insertion of ads sullies the experience.

Yeah it's bad. I've stopped using the app, but still have an account so I can view embedded videos and whatnot more easily for news from Ukraine. The actual app experience is horrible.

On 1/13/2023 at 10:32 AM, sblfilms said:

Car prices have been dropping as demand decreases and supply chain constraints ease. Ask your favorite dealer what their current “market adjustment” is. 

Checks Alfa prices

nah, the QF still nuts.

ADM disappearing is a bit different than the manufacturer dropping msrp, so that’s kind of a strange counter argument to make.

Part of the reason as well is that Tesla cars had 6+ month waiting lists until semi-recently, and used Teslas would cost more than buying new because there was no wait list, so, people would literally go on the wait list to buy them then flip them as if it were a GPU or a PS5 (this was happening pre-pandemic and only got worse during it). A combination of interest rates increasing and people realizing there is a lot of viable (and arguably better) competition now (that’s often priced better) have more and more EV buyers looking elsewhere instead of buying inflated priced “used” Teslas from car flippers, which has greatly reduced the wait list lengths and lowered demand.
Is the Twitter + personality of Musk affecting sales? Maybe, but it’s anecdotal at best, however I don’t think it being at least a small contribution to it is any type of stretch.

Musk's image is a big part of Tesla's brand. Tesla's buyers tend to be upper middle class and up who are eco-conscious. I would bet money his heel turn is costing him significant business.

I wanted a Tesla a few years ago when the mystique of the brand was running high, but then I learned the fit and finish is pretty shit compared to legacy automakers. That and the interior of the Model 3 is an abomination. Musk's full turn to a shitty /pol/ poster just killed in any chance I'd ever buy one. That is even if they fix their problems I'd still buy a Kia or something. 

• Halal 1

On 1/13/2023 at 1:32 PM, sblfilms said:

It's still hard to get anything other than a POS truck or SUV without ordering. Want a hybrid, PHEV, or BEV and there isn't shit actually in stock. You might see vehicles on a website, but they are already sold to someone else that custom ordered it 4 months ago. 

5 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

ADM disappearing is a bit different than the manufacturer dropping msrp, so that’s kind of a strange counter argument to make.

It isn’t when the manufacturer is the dealer. Tesla increased prices for the same reason the dealers were tacking on $5-$10k from the sticker on everything. Market conditions have changed substantially, so prices are adjusting. Auto manufacturers obscure market pricing via dealers. 

40 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

It isn’t when the manufacturer is the dealer. Tesla increased prices for the same reason the dealers were tacking on $5-$10k from the sticker on everything. Market conditions have changed substantially, so prices are adjusting. Auto manufacturers obscure market pricing via dealers. 

I mean anytime a dealer can consistently give thousands, or tens of thousands, of dollars of discounts off of MSRP it really says something about the actual cost. 

2 minutes ago, Ominous said:

I mean anytime a dealer can consistently give thousands, or tens of thousands, of dollars of discounts off of MSRP it really says something about the actual cost. 

No doubt. There is a lot of margin at MSRP, especially as you move up the pricing scale.

48 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

The price increases in 2021 do not match the current slash in price. In 2020 Tesla initially cut prices by 6% early in the pandemic, by year end that was corrected, in 2021 prices increased about $2500 for the Model 3, the current price cut is $3k.

3 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

The price increases in 2021 do not match the current slash in price. In 2020 Tesla initially cut prices by 6% early in the pandemic, by year end that was corrected, in 2021 prices increased about $2500 for the Model 3, the current price cut is $3k.

I didn’t say anything about matching prices, and have no idea why that would matter anyway. Prices adjust to current market conditions. The retail prices of models have begun dropping, the only difference is that because Tesla sells direct, MSRP is the retail price.

Used prices are also falling now. Elevated interest rates negatively impact big ticket item demand.

27 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

Also, those door handles are stupid.

One of the things that really bothers me about Teslas and many other electric vehicles are the dumb door handle design.  They are not physically connected to the latch mechanism, but instead use electromechanical actuators and sensors to open the door.  Just make a door with a physical connection between the handle and the actual latch, that way you don't need to worry about an electrical failure potentially locking you in or out of the car.

4 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

One of the things that really bothers me about Teslas and many other electric vehicles are the dumb door handle design.  They are not physically connected to the latch mechanism, but instead use electromechanical actuators and sensors to open the door.  Just make a door with a physical connection between the handle and the actual latch, that way you don't need to worry about an electrical failure potentially locking you in or out of the car.

or locking you in, in the case of an accident/fire. there is an override but it is hard to find and access iirc

53 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

jurassic park film GIF

So more confirmation that Twitter is going after 3rd party twitter apps. From person working on tweetbot. I look forward to when this backfires with advertisers who routinely use 3rd party apps to handle multiple accounts.

e4b0dcddcd620911.jpg
TAPBOTS.SOCIAL

And now dead again, along with some old unused API keys, which proves that this was intentional and we and others were specifically targeted. I wouldn't have swapped out the keys in the first place if there was even a shred of communication. Figured if nothing else this would push the issue. Oh well, on to smaller but greener pastures.

32 minutes ago, chakoo said:

So more confirmation that Twitter is going after 3rd party twitter apps. From person working on tweetbot. I look forward to when this backfires with advertisers who routinely use 3rd party apps to handle multiple accounts.

e4b0dcddcd620911.jpg
TAPBOTS.SOCIAL

And now dead again, along with some old unused API keys, which proves that this was intentional and we and others were specifically targeted. I wouldn't have swapped out the keys in the first place if there was even a shred of communication. Figured if nothing else this would push the...

I’m kinda surprised Twitter allowed them for so long. Nobody else does, right? And I paid TweetBot for the pleasure of no ads, and the better UX overall. Things like my curated timelines so if I just wanted to see tweets about baseball, I could pick my baseball centric list of follows. Same for tech, or news, etc.

Twitter should just steal TweetBot and make the 1st party app great. The official app has been terrible for as long as I can remember, such that I really only started using Twitter on a regular basis after downloading Twitterrific and then eventually moving over to TweetBot.

Being forced back to the official app has pretty much cut off my usage 😂 I am thinking though that the official app must dominate usage because I haven’t seen a single peep from anybody I follow on Twitter about the 3rd party apps getting nuked.

You might be right that brands use them more due to the ease of account switching, and some of the other features like tweet scheduling though.

3rd party apps being good/bad really depend on what your goal is. I get the feeling that past twitter wanted their system to be a platform/service more than just an app/web app. Their API integration was so much easier to work with than facebook and allowed for me to integrate tweeting out your high score in a game pretty quickly.

11 minutes ago, chakoo said:

3rd party apps being good/bad really depend on what your goal is. I get the feeling that past twitter wanted their system to be a platform/service more than just an app/web app. Their API integration was so much easier to work with than facebook and allowed for me to integrate tweeting out your high score in a game pretty quickly.

I think it comes down to how you are monetizing your app/service. Are they getting less revenue per user because there are options available to avoid seeing ads?

Are you potentially shooing away major users who represent a substantial draw to the platform, which decreases the value of the platform for advertisers?

I don’t know the answers, but my gut feeling is that it’s bad business to allow the third party apps that bypass ads. Probably some complex calculations to sort it out.

15 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I think it comes down to how you are monetizing your app/service. Are they getting less revenue per user because there are options available to avoid seeing ads?

Are you potentially shooing away major users who represent a substantial draw to the platform, which decreases the value of the platform for advertisers?

I don’t know the answers, but my gut feeling is that it’s bad business to allow the third party apps that bypass ads. Probably some complex calculations to sort it out.

This gets into more of a philosophical debate without the internal data to say one way or the other. A platform is not worth using without content and some of these 3rd party apps helped to boost 3rd party content or facilitate features the core team didn't/couldn't implement. There is also the question of the value put on Data itself vs advertising. FB Advertising platform is what it is because of the massive amount of data it pulls in which is leveraged by the Ad platform.

There are 50 million ways to slice this on being a pro or a con for them. :) I say this as someone who until recently ran a company that directly competed with but also needed google calendar access to survive/function.

6 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Could have just made third party apps a twitter blue thing, companies won’t care about $8/month (or more if you wanted this feature) and would curtail use of third party apps without killing them immediately 

I have been wondering why Twitter didn’t charge 3rd party app developers that collect fees to use their app a fee. That seems pretty obvious.