Pedo guy megalomaniacal manchild officially owns Twitter

5 hours ago, chakoo said:
elon_musk_twitter_for_you.png
WWW.THEVERGE.COM

Your For You feed might look a little different.

I give the devs credit for thinking on their feet how to please a man child so they also don't get fired. 

I'd like to think the engineer also realized that putting all of Musk's nonsense front and center can only help in the long run. 

2 hours ago, Demut said:

Sheesh, is the Musk hate on this board universal? I don't recall being him this reviled when last I posted on D1P.

It's less that I hate musk in general, I'm fine with Space X.  I just hate his leadership style of twitter and I'm laughing while he burns the whole thing to the ground like an idiot. I've been in software development for over 20 years,  I've seen this style destroy countless companies over the years.

• True 1

6 hours ago, Demut said:

Sheesh, is the Musk hate on this board universal? I don't recall being him this reviled when last I posted on D1P.

I'll admit to initially being a minor fan, but that was before I started learning much about him. He's revealed himself to be truly awful. 

4 hours ago, chakoo said:

while he burns the whole thing to the ground

Is that what's actually happening though? I do remember the initial slew of negative press coverage (something something firing critical personnel, debt ratio being too high, arbitrary moderation, paying for the checkmark, a bunch advertisers leaving and so on) but neither the exodus that certain attention-starved celebrities were trying to get going nor the complete breakdown of the site's infrastructure that was prophesied has happened as of today.

So by what objective metric is he "burning it to the ground"? From what I remember from a recent shareholder meeting/earnings call/whatever they're already trending toward breakeven. Maybe I'm just missing something but to me it seems like the demise of Twitter under Musk as proclaimed a bit premature. And at least to him, for whatever that's worth, engagement numbers and such are up, not down.

1 minute ago, Demut said:

From what I remember from a recent shareholder meeting/earnings call/whatever they're already trending toward breakeven. Maybe I'm just missing something but to me it seems like the demise of Twitter under Musk as proclaimed a bit premature. And at least to him, for whatever that's worth, engagement numbers and such are up, not down.

There’s no reason to believe his so called engagement numbers now that they’re private. Speaking of which, twitter may have been close to breakeven before he bought it and saddled it with $44billion in debt but no longer!

2 minutes ago, Demut said:

Is that what's actually happening though? I do remember the initial slew of negative press coverage (something something firing critical personnel, debt ratio being too high, arbitrary moderation, paying for the checkmark, a bunch advertisers leaving and so on) but neither the exodus that certain attention-starved celebrities were trying to get going nor the complete breakdown of the site's infrastructure that was prophesied has happened. By what objective metric is he "burning it to the ground"? From what I remember from a recent shareholder meeting/earnings call/whatever they're already trending toward breakeven. Maybe I'm just missing something but to me it seems like the demise of Twitter under Musk as proclaimed a bit premature. And at least to him, for whatever that's worth, engagement numbers and such are up, not down.

Theres no way this is true, they lost half their top advertisers, and he leveraged the company to the hilt.

Well, I imagine by "trending towards breakeven" they're not talking about having become debt-free. As for him outright lying, wouldn't that get him into legal doo-doo with his shareholders?

2 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

There’s no reason to believe his so called engagement numbers now that they’re private. Speaking of which, twitter may have been close to breakeven before he bought it and saddled it with $44billion in debt but no longer!

... which would make it all the more remarkable if it turned out to be the case, is my point. As for the engagement numbers, were they public before? Or did you mean the company itself when you said "private"?

2 minutes ago, Demut said:

Well, I imagine by "trending towards breakeven" they're not talking about having become debt-free. As for him outright lying, wouldn't that get him into legal doo-doo with his shareholders?

... which would make it all the more remarkable if it turned out to be the case, is my point. As for the engagement numbers, were they public before? Or did you mean the company itself when you said "private"?

The company is private now, there are no shareholders, and thus no reporting requirements.

Nobody knows anything meaningful about the current finances of Twitter. Their reduction in workforce and closing offices were pretty substantial. I don’t know enough about the business finances pre-acquisition to even estimate how these cost saving moves related in size to the revenue decreases.

The debt side of things is far trickier. I’ll say this about it, Chase (or whatever debt holders are in this case) doesn’t treat Musk like they treat normies. As long as they believe there is a path for Twitter to be profitable, they’ll restructure over and over because there are no assets to sell off and recoup.

19 hours ago, chakoo said:
elon_musk_twitter_for_you.png
WWW.THEVERGE.COM

Your For You feed might look a little different.

I give the devs credit for thinking on their feet how to please a man child so they also don't get fired. 

I started seeing his tweets at the top of my feed after the news his issues were "fixed" I just told the system I wanted to see fewer of his tweets twice, instead of blocking or muting him. Let him figure that shit out. 

The weird thing about Twitter is that I think the metrics can say one thing, while your feed is saying something else entirely. For instance, Musk keeps touting that there are fewer bots than ever, but whenever I look at replies for popular threads there are a TON of bots and spam posts high up the chains. I don't know that he's outright lying, but I think he's not representing the entire picture of the current state of the site truthfully. 

4 hours ago, sblfilms said:

The debt side of things is far trickier. I’ll say this about it, Chase (or whatever debt holders are in this case) doesn’t treat Musk like they treat normies. As long as they believe there is a path for Twitter to be profitable, they’ll restructure over and over because there are no assets to sell off and recoup.

For what it's worth, they did make the first billion-something interest payment a while ago at least.

3 hours ago, stepee said:

I’m glad I don’t use twitter anymore because I believe in the right to tell people to shut the fuck up

You can still, y'know, block people for whatever reason you want. Musk himself uses that function pretty liberally, I'm told.

6 minutes ago, Demut said:

For what it's worth, they did make the first billion-something interest payment a while ago at least.

You can still, y'know, block people for whatever reason you want. Musk himself uses that function pretty liberally, I'm told.

You can block them or you can just not go on twitter, no need to do the former due to the latter

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

This story is based on interviews with people familiar with the events involved and supported by documents obtained by Platformer.

spacer.png

Also, seems like an easy fix: Block Musk. Why would people who've got an issue with the guy not already have done so by now?